Elementary on CBS

DigitalFSTBK

I didn't see any previous post on this show. But, I've been watching and really enjoying the first few episodes. Seems well written and I like the characters. Anyone else watching and/or liking this one?

Yeah it does seem to stretch itself away from the traditional Holmes, other then the names of course :)

I find some of the quotes quite interesting;

It has its costs, being able to see the puzzles in things - Sherlock Holmes

I actually find it enjoyable. True, it's not the traditional Holmes, but then again, the traditional Holmes wouldn't work in modern times, even more so in America.

I actually find it enjoyable. True, it's not the traditional Holmes, but then again, the traditional Holmes wouldn't work in modern times, even more so in America.

Have you seen Sherlock? It's the British "modern Holmes" and they did a FANTASTIC job of bringing the traditional Holmes (and Watson) into modern times.

The thing that doesn't work in Elementary (that does in Sherlock) is the relationship between Holmes and Watson. To put it simply: we need to see Holmes through Watson's eyes because it's through Watson's love for Holmes that Holmes, as a person, is redeemed; otherwise he's an unlikable sociopath.

In fact, CBS asked the creators of Sherlock to adapt it for the US but were turned down, thus Elementary.

- JD

Last edited:
I concur...

It wants to be Sherlock so bad... but it's reach has exceeded it's grasp.

Not only does Sherlock update characters, they've updated the original mysteries.

I'm just finishing up reading the complete mysteries of Sherlock Holmes, and I love the attention to detail.

I've been watching it so far and my wife and I really enjoy it. True that it doesn't quite have a very Sherlock Holmes feel to it but it's still enjoyable and I'm really curious to see where they go with this show.

What channel does Sherlock air on? I've heard good things about it and would like to check it out some time.

Have you seen Sherlock? It's the British "modern Holmes" and they did a FANTASTIC job of bringing the traditional Holmes (and Watson) into modern times.

No, I haven't. The baseline for my comment was based on the show Elementary and the stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, excluding any previous adaptations, good or bad, when they were made or if they are modernized versions of traditional characters still set in a country where traditional is still applicable (where as in America, traditional doesn't work).

I've been watching it so far and my wife and I really enjoy it. True that it doesn't quite have a very Sherlock Holmes feel to it but it's still enjoyable and I'm really curious to see where they go with this show.

What channel does Sherlock air on? I've heard good things about it and would like to check it out some time.

Your best bet is either BBC America or PBS (I've seen it on both). There's been only 6 episodes thus far and it doesn't seem to get a lot of replay on BBCA. Both series are on DVD as well.

I'm excited to see the next episode of Elementary, but definitely going to check out Sherlock now that I hear such positive reviews of it. I remember hearing about it awhile back but then it completely dropped off the/my radar, don't know why maybe just the advertising for it was off with my viewing.

From the sounds of it they a very different takes on the characters and story ideas. Different shows, different ideas, but as long as they both develop a mystery that gets solved in the same tradition of Sherlock mysteries; observe, analyze, and deduce I'll probably like both.

I'm just finishing up reading the complete mysteries of Sherlock Holmes, and I love the attention to detail.

I was lucky enough to have had just re-read the canon right before I began watching Sherlock, and like you was quite impressed by how, despite updating the characters and stories, still managed to be faithful to the originals and maintain an astonishing amount of detail.

- Vaz

No, I haven't. The baseline for my comment was based on the show Elementary and the stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, excluding any previous adaptations, good or bad, when they were made or if they are modernized versions of traditional characters still set in a country where traditional is still applicable (where as in America, traditional doesn't work).

Oh, you absolutely must (IMHO, of course). Others have replied with various medium to do so.

I hope my reply didn't come across as disparaging; it certainly wasn't meant to be and I would be a right jerk for putting someone down for simply not seeing a certain run of a television show!

- JD

The thing that doesn't work in Elementary (that does in Sherlock) is the relationship between Holmes and Watson. To put it simply: we need to see Holmes through Watson's eyes because it's through Watson's love for Holmes that Holmes, as a person, is redeemed; otherwise he's an unlikable sociopath.

In fact, CBS asked the creators of Sherlock to adapt it for the US but were turned down, thus Elementary.

- JD
The English production is an excellent updated version of the Holmes stories!

Oh, you absolutely must (IMHO, of course). Others have replied with various medium to do so.

I hope my reply didn't come across as disparaging; it certainly wasn't meant to be and I would be a right jerk for putting someone down for simply not seeing a certain run of a television show!

- JD

No worries. :)

I'm digging Elementary big time. :thumbsup :thumbsup
Huge fan of the Conan Doyle stories, and the Brett PBS series.
Never thought I'd enjoy a modernized Holmes, and I don't like the Downey, Jr. portrayal.
I agree with other posters here who say Elementary is a stretch to still be called "Sherlock Holmes", but nevertheless, I believe Johnny Lee Miller captures the spirit, personality, and singular quirkiness which characterized the traditional Holmes in the books, and Brett's brilliant portrayal of the man.

I daresay Elementary is the best drama on television. It's what I look forward to most each week.

The Wook

I didn't think I would, but I like both. What I like about what Elementery has done is put a bit more of a spin on the relationship where you see Holmes becoming attached to Watson more so then previous adaptations.

I also like them dealing more with the drug attiction side of Holmes being Watson's focus. Keeping him in check which hasn't always been the case with a lot of the other adaptations.The tend to gloss over that aspect of Holmes.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back