Evil Dead Chainsaw - Quick & Dirty

megafern

I previously posted 3D printed parts for an Evil Dead chainsaw and here's the finished product. Obviously not screen accurate but I wanted it to look as close as possible for my Halloween costume.

Main body is an Apple & Eve 1 gallon juice bottle. Cut off the top and side handle and reused them for the blade cover. Sheet aluminum on top, vitamin bottle cap for gas tank, masonite blade with sash chain. I made some masonite backing plates for strength and it flattened out the curved sides of the jug.

Krylon Fusion Sun Dried Tomato was the perfect chainsaw color and worked well for the juice jug. Used black shoe polish for dirt and grime build up.

The pull-cord assembly, grill and side handle mount were done on my MakerBot, if you would like to make your own I put them up for download:
Evil Dead Chainsaw Parts by countspatula - Thingiverse

Working on the harness right now, will post pictures later.

Sean

Now that is thinking outside the juice box!:cheers

Great work and it looks great too. :thumbsup Never would have thought of using that.

Avolow.

This is fantastic, great use of the juice bottle. Looks bad ass! I've always wanted to be Ash for Halloween, but I'm not nearly built enough. I'm waaaaaaay too skinny. :lol

Thanks everyone, it actually turned out better than I thought it would. I have not done much weathering and I was pleasantly surprised by how well the shoe polish turned out. Someone recommended Kryolan F/X blood which seems to work well. After a day it's mostly dry and only slightly tacky.

I think I spent an hour at the grocery holding my hand next to juice, detergent and ice tea bottles. While not accurate, the ribbing on the bottom of the bottle looks pretty cool for a chainsaw.

aeonpulse - Ha! I am in no way 'built' so opted to recreate the costume right around the woodshed scene so it's bloody but all intact so I don't have to expose my delicate nerd skin.

ob1al - love your avatar. I'm too new to sell in JY but if you know anyone with a printer, just download them and go to town.

The Arizona jug should be perfect, I almost bought that one but it had a few more logos, etc modeled into the plastic.

Well megafern, I didn't have time to order the American Soda bottle as it was 3-5 days delivery, so to whack something together in time for Halloween I used a large milk bottle instead:

131303_4758617440608_2047657956_o.jpg

The chainsaw is around 60% finished - built from a plastic milk bottle, some scraps of sheet aluminium, an old extractor fan cover, some copper pipe, wood, nuts & bolts and paint. And two milk bottle caps. LOL.

I'll get this costume finished for halloween, then think about making a decent display chainsaw afterwards.

Dude that's awesome! Unfortunately I may not get to use my costume this year. I live in NYC right by the water and the hurricane wrecked my neighborhood. I needed to weather the clothes and forgot them at the apartment when we evacuated. Would have been the perfect time to do it because we were held up someplace that had electric and had lots of time on my hands. It was still fun to build, maybe next year.

Sorry to hear it mate - I hope things get back to normal for you guys very soon. I've been following events on the news, looks like a rough time for you all. Hopefully you can roll your Ash costume out next year. On the plus side, it gives you plenty of time to get everything right with it! ;)

Re. the chainsaw, the day before halloween I decided to swap the milk bottle body for a petrol can - a fairly easy switch, I just removed the parts I had made and switched them over to the new body, It was a lot more solid and stable and less bulky too:

222537_4780389624899_230746313_n.jpg

523645_4785236186060_1337304765_n.jpg

All this Evil Dead propbuilding and talk has finally pushed me to try my hand at a real Homelite XL build, so I have this one on the way:

T2eC16hy0E9s2S9KJLBQikHpphw60_58.jpg

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished chainsaw. The petrol can worked great too.

In hindsight I should have thrown my costume in the basement and let the flood weather it.

Amazing how 3d printing the grill and pull cord flutes and gluing it to the side of a juice bottle can make a convincing replica.

PS- the actual saw build? Fun as a mofo... Best looking wall/shelf prop ever.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back