TDKR Catwoman mask quick'n'cheap (was mask problem thread)

PrimoOptimoso

Sr Member
OK. I have kind of a major problem in making my wife's tdkr Catwoman mask.

I went to the party store looking for a basic mask as a base, and got this one. It's covered in mirrors and was a bit more than a generic domino mask, but I picked it because the underlying structure is awesome - good solid plastic with a felt backing, nice basic shape and a good enough size that I could cut it *down* to the catwoman design.

mzf3n.jpg

So, I ripped all the mirrors off; some required pliers they were so firmly attached.

Here's the big problem I have: underneath it all, the whole mask is covered in an adhesive fabric layer. In spots it's peeled and ripped up and such (if it laid smooth I could just leave it under paint/plastidip); I've tried sanding, scraping, pulling, Goof Off... Does anyone have experience with this kind of stuff on a commercial masquerade-style mask?

OBTW Here is how it's turned out thus far - I figured cutting and carving could only help by eliminating some of the problem material, so I went ahead and made the mask - now I just need to finish it smooth so I can paint.

28fNl.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mask problem: help with adhesive fabric layer? (tdkr catwoman, but general Q)

Maybe paste a thin layer (or two) of fabric over it?

Re: Mask problem: help with adhesive fabric layer? (tdkr catwoman, but general Q)

Well, anything thick enough to cover the lumps and 'boogers' of material and adhesive would add too much bulk =0( it's like the surface of a freakin' sidewalk.

Well, I dunno. If it's plastic, and won't mess up if it gets wet, maybe you could try dipping it in water (or spraying it) first, then sanding? *shrugs*
I've just made a papier mache mask for my TDKR cat costume myself and I'm loving the smoothness of the whole thing without any effort on my part. My only problem is that I cut the mask out all wrong so I ended up having to revert to a basic shaping like in your picture above before the mirrors were pealed off. AARrGH! And this is already my second attempt with papier mache. Each time is sooo tiresome, having to let the mask dry on my face, even using a blow dryer. I plan on making my custom goggle frames from papier mache as well. That should be easier. Hopefully, it comes out fine for the both of us.

Last edited:

hey hey! i was trying to figure it out all day at the office. and I got it. when I got home I just saturated the whole thing in Goof Off and let it sit for awhile. then, I took my Dremel to it with a wire wheel, "flaying" the stuff off the surface. It STILL took everything I had to get it all, two soakings in goof off and two sessions with the wire wheel. Sadly, all that Goof Off destroyed the adhesive on the nice felt backing, too, so I'll have to redo the backing in something else.

ALSO, all that wire wheel work really killed my engraved lines. Will have to see what I can do about that.

But here it is now. Need to re-carve the lines and plastidip it, to start with.
hX73r.jpg

Meow, I've seen great stuff done with papier mache, you just have to have fun with it - lie in bed with a book above you and a fan pointed at your face or something.

Well, I finished it so I figured I'd wrap up with a post here - carved the lines a little sharper, plastidipped and added carbon-fiber vinyl...

RpIcx.jpg

and as we were seriously running out of time I cut down a pair of my wife's old sunglasses and added foam to make them the goggles

JSwK0.jpg

Then attached those with simple popsicle sticks, also plastidipped. As our party was starting I did not have time to make them all teched out on the sides, or actually flippable, but my wife didn't mind.

R1q3b.jpg

Tadaa =0)

Woooo, good idea to use old sunglasses for the goggles. I'm planning to be Catwoman this year so working on getting ideas/materials now :p Did your wife buy a catsuit, make something or sew one?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back