Too many Iron Man... Changing it up with a Gladiator build (somewhat pic heavy).

Pyrotechx

So, I was running pretty short on time for Halloween and decided to try to build a somewhat "easier" build, which is actually turning into more research than building, since I am eyeballing the entire thing.

I decided to build a gladiator style costume. I am not 100% sure where I am going with it, but I hope it turns out pretty cool.

I wanted it to look more jagged with some wicked points, and I figured that foam wouldn't really give me the type of points I was looking for. What material could I use to get this look? Well, I saw an idea someone had on here about using plastic trash bins, and that is exactly what I did. I went to Walmart, got myself a clearance trash bin for $5 and went to work.

Basically I cut out shapes in cardstock and fitted them into pieces of armor, testing out different fits. When I found one I liked, I stenciled it onto the plastic bin and cut it out with heavy duty scissors (still a pain). Then, I took a heat gun to it and formed it into the shapes you see.

I plan on doing an entire shoulder, bicep, forearm, hand, and left pec piece, all in this plastic. I will also be doing a helmet (see below for what it will look like).

Here is a piece after being cut (shoulder piece):
zlYbj.jpg

Here is a template drawing:
maZLe.jpg

And here is the shoulder piece somewhat done and bicep partially done:
aFpcy.jpg

Here is the helmet I want to build, with some adjustments:
larp-helmet-assassin-%5B2%5D-1140-p.jpg

I will be using EVA foam under some of the pieces of armor, just to give it some depth and comfort.

More to come.

Here is another update! Shoulders are about 90% complete, still deciding if I want to put a neck guard on there. The bicep is complete and I added a chest plate. I feel like the chest plate is too much untouched space though, so maybe after I am done painting it, I will spray paint some ancient Rome logo or something. I bought some tacks with fashioned tops that actually look really cool, so I will cut the heads off and glue them on as a border, I am sure that will make it pop more. Anyways, any thoughts?

3TkGc.jpg

gGitp.jpg

Well, I am out of time. I finished the shoulder, bicep, forearm, and hand guard. I attached the heads of tacks (yes, I pulled off the points manually) for more of an elaborate look. I primed and painted them glossy black with a glossy clear finish. I am contemplating painting a logo on the chest plate.

Now, I am stuck. I was going to get some tattered black cloth and black sandals for the lower half, also make a sword, and finally a helmet...

But, I have ran out of time, and the Halloween party is tomorrow! :(

Now, for you expert fashion people out there, I need some advice! I was thinking about getting some black cargo pants, some black boots, and tie a pure black bandana or cloth around my head and try to pull off some post apocalypse gladiator look, carrying some kind of weapon (which I don't even know what I would make for that purpose... maybe a gun with a sword attached?)

I need some advice on this move, or what could I do to salvage this? Please help.

Well, as much as I would have liked to make a helmet for my costume, it just never came to be. So, I give you my finished product: "Post apocalypse gladiator"

FsbS3.jpg

Awesome, man! That screams 'Road Warrior!' A black or red bandana for your head would definitely work. I'd throw in some ragged scraps of cloth around the opposite arm and leg too...maybe a gauntlet too if you have one. If you have a shaggy cloak, you could hang it from the opposite shoulder. Wounds/scars would really give it character too...perhaps something Apocalyptic-themed? Chemical burns, staples, or melted flesh maybe?
For weapons, I'd suggest either a rugged-looking/monsterish sword (with blood and blade damage) or a large gun made to look worn and beat-up, maybe even modified. You could also utilize some accessories such as a black ammo belt, strap-on knives, smaller chains wrapped around waist/legs/arms...gah! The possibilities! Maybe give 'The Road Warrior' or 'Thunderdome' a watch for additional inspiration.

I have to say I love the thumb-tacks! I never would have thought of that, and the effect is great! Good luck on your costume, and please post pics of what you come up with.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back