Captain america shield

crashdown903p

Hi, everyone. Im very new to this and have just started working on a costume for the first time. I am working on a captain america costume from the new film. Made my 1st attempt at a shield today. Spent all day on it, it turned out okay. Its not great though and far from looking like the one from the movie. Its made of wood, I glued two 8th inch sheets of door skin together and bent then, and let sit over night. Then covered it with canvas and painted it. Since it didnt turn out as good as I wanted I'm planning on trying again....Any suggestions for the next attempt? Should I use wood again, or something else? Thanks for your time, any help would be great. Ive attached a picture of the shield I built.

From what you said, and the picture you posted, it sounds like you are building the version used in "Captain America: The First Avenger" when he goes to rescue Bucky and the other POWs. I'll base suggestions on that.

The one you made actually looks pretty good! For a little more screen-accuracy, you could just modify the one you have by making the middle slope a bit narrower. But if you want to start over: A wood base sounds like a good idea, but you could use sheet aluminum on the front of it to give it a shine. Though, depending on the gloss of the paint used, you may not need it.

From what you said, and the picture you posted, it sounds like you are building the version used in "Captain America: The First Avenger" when he goes to rescue Bucky and the other POWs. I'll base suggestions on that.

The one you made actually looks pretty good! For a little more screen-accuracy, you could just modify the one you have by making the middle slope a bit narrower. But if you want to start over: A wood base sounds like a good idea, but you could use sheet aluminum on the front of it to give it a shine. Though, depending on the gloss of the paint used, you may not need it.

Thanks for the reply, You are correct about the version of the shield im working on. I definitely agree that the shape of it isnt exactly right. it does need to be a bit more narrow and pointed at the end....Id like to make it look beaten up and worn like it is in the film. But my painting skills are not great.

Looks good.
Are you planning you planning your own version or do you want a movie or comic version?

Thanks for the comment. Im not 100% sure yet. I was originally planning an exact movie version. But im kind of considering doing my own version, but making it very similar to the film/comic. Not sure though.

The comic version would have a more pointed center than the movie shield below.

USOShield9.jpg

24 3/8" high
18" wide Actual Contour. Measured from tip to tip of the blue field.

Painting the battle damaged version wasn't too hard... just time consuming. I used acrylics on top of sealed spray paint for the damage... since they are water based and easily cleaned up or should I say wiped off when I screwed up.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back