V2 and Shared stunt ROTJ Saber prop relationship

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What are your views everyone? I have screencaps from a member here - the V2 is on screen with another saber prop. It looks like the other is bladed - even though they fought with the bladed V2 for ESB. I read about peoplle suggesting the V2 and the current "Shared Stunt" are one in the same. Maybe so - but what is this other one? Hah. It has a coppery neck and black (or shiny tape) where the clamp should be. Just thought I'd ask everyone's official opinion?

V2
StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014522_20120223_224355.jpg

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_015408_20120223_230029.jpg

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014456_20120223_224150.jpg

The Other - maybe shared stunt
StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014843_20120223_224606.jpg

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014845_20120223_224719.jpg

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014849_20120223_224916.jpg

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014943_20120223_225119.jpg

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014944_20120223_225137.jpg

This last one doesn't have much, but you can see in the silhouette a recess in the top of the neck, suggesting that it came from ANH

StarWarsEpisode6ReturnoftheJedi1983BluRay1080pDTSES612Audiox264-CHDmkv_snapshot_014949_20120223_225158.jpg

lol thats it, I'm done. who thinks what?

lol alright maybe this has been beaten to death. I have yet to hear solid conclusions - the last threads where this came up never really got anywhere. Just thought I'd open up the debate again

I've been researching a lot about that ROTJ saber, and it seems everywhere like there are no solid conclusions about anything. Probably the prop team used any stunt saber they had at hand. Besides, we have to consider that many stunt sabers (specially those used in duels) got broken, so perhaps they had to replace the stunt for anything that was available, even for a single shot. What I have never understood is why the V2 appears in close ups, when it should probably have been the 'hero' version. Anyway, it would be great if we could ever find some solid conclusions from anyone who actually worked in the props team during the ROTJ recording.

V2 and Shared Stunt are two different sabers from the same mold (cast aluminum). Both are from ANH and were originally Kenobi stunt sabers. The V2 was used for practice during ESB, but the blade was removed for ROTJ where it can be seen through most of the movie on Luke's belt (plus the Emperors chair etc). The Shared Stunt was used in the throne room fight scenes.

New sabers were machined much later for the Yuma/Tatooine filming. One of those with a nice detailed control box was used for the Hero prop seen in Vader's hands. That closeup was just shot at ILM though, the Shared Stunt and V2 were used in that scene on set (Shared stunt's blade was removed by then). The Hero was modified after shooting the Vader closeup to make the control box slide open for the scene with Luke constructing his new lightsaber (cut from movie - seen on BluRay).
There were also resin casts of the Hero and Shared Stunt used in ROTJ.

V2 and Shared Stunt are two different sabers from the same mold (cast aluminum). Both are from ANH and were originally Kenobi stunt sabers. The V2 was used for practice during ESB,

Well said. I'd read somewhere on here speculation that they were one and the same - seeing as the V2 can't be found, and it looks like the shared stunt used to be black and was re-decorated. That spurred me to post this, for newcomers, and for just clarifications sake. Thank you :)

It's been long rumored that the V2 was the saber given to Mark Hamill after ROTJ filming wrapped.

He's said in several interviews that he was given one of his sabers as a gift but as far as I know no one knows which one and there are no photos.

I personally believe they're the same. Only because of speculation and theories I came up with myself based solely on nothing; other than that the v2 and the shared have the exact same holes in the same places, on the emitter and on the neck ring, where the wire ran through to make the blade spin in ANH.

The white wire can be seen in this picture and you can easily imagine that these holes were later filled with that screw and knob.
pic2.jpg

The same holes are on the shared stunt. Albeit, dolled up to look like the Hero and with a new different clamp.
LukeStuntROTJ21.jpg

They looked the same in ANH, but they're definitely not the same prop.
You can see them both in ROTJ during the same sequences (like the throne room).

This prop in general seems pretty sturdy if they can fight with it. I know Russrep is doing a run of aluminum ones right now - wouldn't it be cool to have some that could accept rods (stunt blades)? just like on set haha

(and the part about them being from the same mold or blank may make them identical :) I see the idea of matching holes and stuff - but the thing with castings is that you literally get two of the same - with the necessary holes to run the same motor

These were cast solid and hollowed out after (holes drilled etc.).
The pommel cubes were even cut after casting because the master was a simple turned piece of wood. The main body of both the Shared Stunt and V2 are still nearly identical.

Anakin Starkiller was going to do a super accurate run of these stunt sabers in cast aluminum. I hope it still happens although Russ' recent run may lower interest.

These were cast solid and hollowed out after (holes drilled etc.).

Anakin Starkiller was going to do a super accurate run of these stunt sabers in cast aluminum. I hope it still happens although Russ' recent run may lower interest.

That..makes sense. :facepalm How'd you find these things out?!

and I hope so too, that sounds like a dream of mine come true

Also, are higher-res images (like the one above) of behind the scenes stuff available, does anyone have them?

Yes, the Shared Stunt was used in ANH and ROTJ, shared between Luke and Ben.

But the Stared Stunt is not the V2, especially as seen on Jabbas barge.

Agree, this was hashed out years ago. IMHO, there are 3 ROTJ Lightsabers, Hero, V2, and shared Stunt.

And if memory serves me Gavidoc and another board member (he eventually went bad and took a few peoples money then disappeared) machined both a V2 and Shared Stunt, which I have in my Possession.

Agree, this was hashed out years ago. IMHO, there are 3 ROTJ Lightsabers, Hero, V2, and shared Stunt.

And if memory serves me Gavidoc and another board member (he eventually went bad and took a few peoples money then disappeared) machined both a V2 and Shared Stunt, which I have in my Possession.

That isn't the shared stunt (V3) on Jabba's Barge, it's the Yuma stunt. It looks a lot like the V3, but does not have a Graflex clamp just some sort of control box.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back