Brushing silicone onto a WED Sculpture

ClownKing

Hello All.

For several years I've been floating around this idea to make life-size statues of various fantasy/comic characters. I'm a little hesitant to mention it because I've received my fair share of puzzled looks and rolled eyes. But I'm at a point where I need some advice.

Earlier this year, I picked up this great headless mannequin (finding one that isn't a tooth pick isn't easy) that I'm using as the base for this character. After repeated attempts to sculpt a head myself... with comical/sad results.. I was finally able to commission something for a local artist through the Portland Craigslist at a great bargain.

The artist did a great job but head has been rendered in WED clay. I just got the sculpt this weekend and the silicone I ordered is scheduled to arrive on Monday. The RTV I'm getting is meant to be brushed and that has added to the few questions.

I am keeping the scult hydrated and bagged so it doesn't dry. When I do decided to brush on the silicone, I recall somewhere that I should use a blowdryer to harden the outside surface of the clay. Is that correct?
I've also read that I don't need to treat the clay with anything before I apply the RTV.

My biggest concern at this point is the application of silicone. Because the I won't be able to start putting the silicone on until Monday night... and I will be needing to brush on several layers... is the silicone going to pull moisture from the sculpt and cause it start cracking if it makes me a few days to brush on each layer of silicone. When purchasing the RTV I did have the foresight to get some thinner, but didn't get an accelerator.

So, essentially I have three questions.

1) will blow drying the WED clay harden the outside enough to brush silicone?

2) The outside of the WED doesn't need to be treated before silicone is brushed on.

3) Taking 2-3 days to brush on the silicone isn't going to cause the sculpt to massively crack?

Any information or advice would create be appreciated.

Last edited:
Great looking sculpt!

Here's what I would recommend for your questions, but more experienced and qualified members may have a different take.

1) I would just let the piece air dry until the piece lost the glossy look from keeping it moist. Attempting to harden the sculpt walks a fine line before it begins to crack.

2) A mold release is not required before applying silicone, but doesn't hurt either. If you have it readily available I would give the sculpt a nice spray of mold release.

3) Once you have the thin detail layer of silicone applied to the sculpt it will trap the moisture in the clay. Therefore, you shouldn't have to worry about the sculpt cracking.

Extra advise.

1) Be sure to avoid latex gloves!!!
2) It is best to apply the next layer of silicone as soon as the previous layer is tack-free. But as long as no contaminants are on the last layer the next coat of silicone should bond properly.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back