BumblebeeRecycd 2012 Halloween costume contest entry

BumblebeeRecycd

Hi guys, this is my entry in the 2012 Halloween contest. This is my 3ed Giant Bumblebee Robot. I hope to have learned a few lessons from the first two.
Goals for this new Robot
1) Lighter and easier to use- I find I am spending more time in costume than ever before, and I hate the "crippled" feeling the next day
2) More movie accurate- My 2ed BB could transform, but I had to make many changes to make that happen, and I feel it cost a lot in the "looks" department
3) More reliable-My first 2 costumes were made to last a week of contests in Vegas-Now I need a costume that can take week after week of use and not need constant repairs.
4) More independence-on my last BB costume, I had tons of lighting, witch meant that when I got into him. there was an additional 7-8 min of plugging stuff in by a helper.
New costume should allow all lighting to be plugged in by the performer
5) Agility...most giant robots are statues...looking great in a photo, but unable to handle the basic challenges of were they might be used...stairs/escalators/elevators/the need to sit/ getting into and out of in a reasonable time....I have already learned how to overcome most of these challenges, but I seek to push myself further
Well there it is...those are my goals....I already started a thread about this, so I am going to repost the stuff I already put in. Sorry about the copy
EDIT: I already posted some of these photos...how do I repost them ?

Last edited:
I am going to briefly explain the photos from above
Remote hands...I already built some for BB2, but these are far sleeker, and easier to control, plus lighter. I can also get my hands into the finger sheaths with out outside assistance
Wheels/Doors/Wings....I made this a removable backpack, to allow for easier shipping, also it can be removed on the fly in about 1 minute, if a door space is to narrow for me.
Each door/Wheel is one piece, but on hinges, to allow for my over sized biceps to move "back", increasing agility
Forelegs....these are built on stilts, they are VERY light. I can get into them unassisted on an open floor with no chairs or tables to sit on. The "Toe" folds into the leg. allowing the stilt foot to get very close to the edge of the costume foot....this allows me to go up an escalator, or stairs...the back of the stilt foot is built to allow me to descend stairs/escalators while maintaining full agility.

Here are some more progress photos of my new Bumblebee.
The more interesting one is the arms/legs laid out for scale...and adjustment.
You might notice the Biceps have many holes in them...This is to allow increased airflow..allowing for longer In-Costume time..I went for a more block y look because I felt it was closer to the movie bot . I made the thighs smother, because the will hit stuff all the time, my hands, other people, chairs ect. A non-blocky look means less chance to hook, less repairs. For the rims, I just went to wall mart and bought some plastic ones, and used them as a base.

As you may or may not have figured out, I have already built most of this costume, Here is a progress photo of me testing the torso out for balance...I have also just installed the head lights-super hi intensity ones. Also in the front is a 30 watt PA system and 16 AA batt( (8 for running lights, 8 more for PA), in the back is 8 more AA( headlight)...24 in total, plus flashlight eyes.
I can control the running lights with 2 buttons in the left arm, plus the head lights are on/off with another button.
Today's test went well, because I found the weight front and back to be almost exactly equal. Plus most of the lights worked right the first time.

I'm in Vegas, but here a few shots from New York Comic Con.
The PA system is installed, the eyes and head light work, there are 32 LEDS per forarm and bicept as well as the wing/doors and the chest...172 LEDS plus 12 more super brights, 12 more for the eyes. Oh, and 4 more red LEDs inside the limbs. Also, I have added 2 Green Lasers in the left arm and a 200 LUM flashlight in the Rt arm. Anybody got a Kitchen sink ?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back