Gluing vinyl to vinyl help. Mecha costume.

Junkers

So I've been making armor from plastics for a good long while now, so trying to expand my repertoire by moving into the foam + vinyl mecha costumes. Patterning is coming along smoothly.

SAM_1759_zps73b58e7a.jpg

That being said I've been following Goldy's videos like a religion in making my Eva Unit 02, but I don't know how he glues large pieces of vinyl to other large pieces of vinyl.

Biggest problem being the shoulder piece.

Untitled-6.png

In his tutorials he uses a super glue with an accelerator, but I don't see that being feasible for LARGE pieces like this one. Maybe I'm wrong? We've been looking into using perhaps E6000, or Loctite vinyl mender but wanted to know if other people have already beaten this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Being a wide format printer, I work with vinyl all day everyday.

I fuse large panels with a specialized welder that is crazy expensive.

If you're talking PVC Vinyl sheet/board stock, than any pipe glue will work awesome. Otherwise there are entire industries based on fusing PVC together.

What kind of specific materials are you working with?

Thanks so much for responding! Yeah I want to use this stuff

MJTrends: Stretch-PVC Fabric

It's just a 4 way stretch vinyl fabric, but it's how the Japanese mech costumers are doing things and I wanted to try my hand at it. Do you have any ideas on that? I've been researching Weldwood (red can contact cement) and that's what some people are using to make Transformers costumes, but no mention on vinyl to vinyl applications.

Again thanks for the reply!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back