Adding definition not a full muscle suit for Deadpool costume

Wolfpackofone

I'm making a Deadpool costume and the place we are going you can't have weapons so I'm putting all my effort into the way the lycra body suit looks.

I really like what Alpinedarthmaul did with using foam latex

http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-superman-suit-muscle-shirt-9532/

This also was a good idea with the sculpting but I would assume not feel real at all.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-cheap-upper-body-muscles-spidey-etc-130769/

Before I go out and buy stuff I want a complete plan. I'm hoping a few guys here can give me some advice on the following:

I'm in decent shape, I have a 4 pack but definitely want to add a 6 pack to this costume along with some extra definition elsewhere under my Lycra body suit. I want to wear a long sleeve under armor shirt and add a paste or foam or latex on top of the shirt to form and shape on top of my muscles. Is this feasible and what product would best be suited for this?

I would then cover this under armor shirt with my full body lycra suit.

Thanks for any advice or helping point me in a direction for this project.

Last edited:
Re: Adding definition not a full muscle suit

Any of the options you listed would probably work. The thing you have to decide is how much mobility you want. If you just want to look muscly, something malleable like foam is probably better, since you really wouldn't lose any range of motion. A more rigid substance would probably hold shape better and feel a tad more real to the touch, but it would most likely inhibit certain movements. So a harder substance on your abdomen might not be a great idea because it will make sitting down tough and uncomfortable. That said, if you space out the muscle casts well, you might not run into that problem.

If you have the time, I would try the foam first. It is most likely cheaper, and more forgiving if any mistakes are made. Plus, if you get it on the shirt and decide you don't like the look of it, removing should leave the shirt intact, which might not be easily said for a paste or latex.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and post pics when you're done!

Memory foam. It's easy to work with, it's comfortable, it maintains its shape, it feels somewhat real, and it looks good.

Memory foam. It's easy to work with, it's comfortable, it maintains its shape, it feels somewhat real, and it looks good.

All the craft stores don't carry it and either does the local upholstery store because he said it's too expensive and a special order item. Would a memory foam pillow at Walmart be the same thing? Can you cut and shape it the same way?

Try looking for a memory foam matress pad at wal-mart, bed-bath and beyond, or terget. can't garuntee it'll be cheap though.

The problem with memory foam, once water or moisture get in, it will be trapped there for a long time. Drying under the sun also not recommended.

Polyurethane (PU) foam aka upholstery/furniture foam is your best bet. If you can find open cell foam (breathable) better, just wrapped individual sections with fabric.

If you want very realistic one, most probably do carving with latex.

Ok here is my update.

I'm almost finished with the muscle suit. I ended up canabilizing a memory foam pillow. Shaping the muscles was much more work than I originally thought. I shaped the muscles then just used fabric glue to stick them on my under armor shirt while it was on my body. They are surprisngly in place very well. The UA shirt is a small so I barely can get into it and even with all the stretching the glue and memory foam stretch with it. I applied one layer of liquid latex and plan to apply a few more layers to make the foam more sturdy and realistic feeling. It looks ridiculous right now but after the morphsuit goes on it looks good enough for my quick creation.

Next I started working on the face portion. I have some pleather like material I'm using for the black eye portion and bought a white wedding veil type material for the white part of the eye. My plan is to put on the morph suit and have someone spray the fabric glue on and align the eye patches that way. I also plan to cut holes in the morph suit for the eyes, has anyone tried this before? Do you burn the edges so it doesn't tatter? I'm hoping the black pleather patch will keep it from stretching too much and making anything tear.

Next thing is to cut out my black spandex patterns and attach them to the suit.

After that if I have time I might work on a belt buckle. My plan here was to make the belt buckle then attach it to my utility belt but the more I think about that it don't know how sturdy that will be. What is the best way to attach a metal belt buckle to the front of a a plastic belt? Would Super glue hold?

I'll update this again after I work on it tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions you guys can think of to help or speed up this process would be great!

Well it doesn't let me upload my pictures from the iPad so I'll do it in the morning when I get to my computer.

Here is the finished result. I scrapped the muscle suit, it was just too hot last night! Turned out better than I thought it would but definitely needed more time to add more detail.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Looking great!
People tend to think Deadpool is around Spider-man's size.
Truth is Spider-man is 5'9 or 5'11. Deadpool is 6'2 and 210 pounds. It is good you know that.

Hey, new here. I am also working on a DP. I saw all the crappy suits on ebay then decided to contact a manufacturer personally. At first they were hesitant but decided to do it. I sent them this photo I found online, it is from a game skin or something, and added a few small touches. I also added a good pic of the mask so they would get it right. So in a month or so, I should have a spandex DP that looks like this. They said, "Whatever you draw, we make exact." so heres hoping. Hey it was $85, not too bad. I am also trying to make my first muscle suit, I have a connective tissue disorder so I can't work out, hope the magic of makeup works.
photo60.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back