My 3ed Giant Bumblebee Costume

BumblebeeRecycd

Hello all, I have made 2 giant Bumblebee costumes in the past and am now looking to make a 3ed one. Why the mass production? Well the 1st one was mostly made of recycled stuff ( trash). The second one was great, but since he transformed, there were a lot of consesions, and he was made to be used for one week. I have found myself in costume lots more than I thought I would be.
Goals:
1) Massively reduce weight...BB2 was 85 pounds, new goal..40-50 pounds
2) More movie accuracy....Since I will not be transforming this time, he will be Far Far easier to make, yet be better looking
3) Ease of use... I should be able to walk around, get into and out of solo. In genral, not need 3 people to help me :)
4) Be larger then my old one..BB2 was about 8'6"
Planned build material...EVA foam, aluminum, plastic,vinyl
I always start with the hands, I have done these before, so instead of 2 weeks to get the frame down...1.5 days later

you know what they say about a man with big hands?.......................

he needs big gloves :D

I'll be following this one :thumbsup

That's pretty sweet. I went to Universal Studios Hollywood this summer and saw a giant Bumblebee walking around there, I'd like to see what it took to put something like that together!

Hi guys, Here are some photos of my first two Bumblebee Costumes. There is also a pic of the two forarms....naked of his classic Yellow :).
BB1 is 9'6" and 85 pounds...BB2 is 8'6" and 85 pounds...BB3 is 9' and I think about 45-50 pounds

Hi guys, here are some photos of the Wings/door/wheels.....they are attached with hinges and elastics...so when I move my giant shoulder/biceps they will just kick back...Allowing me full mobility.
I have also included a pic of the forelegs, built around sheet rock stilts., They are very very light, and I can get into them in about 4 min.

Last edited:
awesome!! love it!!!...... I think I love Psylocke more though haha!!! dude.... you know why a bride always picks uglier friends to be bridesmaids?? so she looks even more amazing! next time get Chewbacca to interview you lol!!! seriously though, great build :)

BbR: Love the progression - BB2 was better proportioned than BB1, etc. - I have a question, though: How does one build a leg "around" drywall stilts? For instance, I want to build a big mech costume at one point and the leg shape would basically be a tall box, where I'd want drywall stilts to be the core. How do you attach the leg parts to the stilt so as to retain mobility?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back