Darkside501st's Assassin's Creed - The Doctor, aka Dr. Malfatto, Mask

darkside501st

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello Everyone,

So I decided I was going to do a plague doctor for Halloween this year along side my Wolverine costume I am doing. I will be able to attend several costume parties this year and I didn't want to wear the same costume to every party. ;)

Anyways, I was looking for inspiration and I came across the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood character The Doctor, aka Dr. Malfatto.

assassins-creed-doctor-590x263.jpg

I really like his costume and his plague doctor mask is pretty unique compared to the ones you generally see. So I decided to make his mask and put together a costume inspired by the one in the game. Also, I didn't see anything else on him here in the RPF so I am posting this thread to share my progress. I have already started assembling the mask. Soon I will be able to fiberglass it and smooth it out. I am using the 'no tabs' method of putting the mask together to make the finishing part easier. I plan on giving it a crackled paint job and I might put a little blood splatter on it. So here is a cell phone pic of where I am so far:

Here are some other reference images:

well done on pepping that out! i tried this myself and gave up because the tip of the nose was too small and fiddly for my taste :(

Yes, the tip of the beak is very difficult and can not be pepped using the regular method. I will still have to clean it up in the finishing stage. I will be working more on the mask tonight. Maybe I can manage to get a better picture of what I get done tonight. Thanks for the comments. ;)

Ok so, I didn't have time to get this done for Halloween but I did finish the pep. I will finish the mask after Halloween. The mask has a little too much curve to it so I will need to put a support across the back of the mask to hold it open some more while I harden it with resin.

I am going to also mod the areas around the eyes to give it a depression and I will be adding the actual round eyeglasses part later. I will probably model that with clay or something else. It is a simple shape and much easier to make from scratch vs trying to pep it and then finish all the rough edges.

Here are some more cell phone pics (I probably should get a good little camera or a better phone, :D):

Last edited:
Looks excellent! I have heard you and others mention a "tabless pep" method. Is that basically just gluing corresponding faces to each other w/o going through the hassle of cutting the tabs out, scoring, bending, and gluing them to each other? I would imagine it has certain benefits depending on the piece being pepped.

Looks excellent! I have heard you and others mention a "tabless pep" method. Is that basically just gluing corresponding faces to each other w/o going through the hassle of cutting the tabs out, scoring, bending, and gluing them to each other? I would imagine it has certain benefits depending on the piece being pepped.

Thanks. I actually just wrote an explanation of it in my Mk VII thread in response to a question that was posed. It is harder than building with tabs but the final results are nicer. It is definitely better on smaller more detailed parts. If you are doing a large flat surface then it is not such a big deal.

I also modded the pep prints while building to make the 'cheek bones' smoother. I couldn't make any changes to the file but what a lot of people don't think about is that you don't have to follow the file to the letter. You can mod it as you go. In this case I noticed that the cheeks were real rough and pointy. So instead of cutting the three flat faces to form the cheek I cut a semi-circular shape and split the three tabs into like 20 tabs. This allows the smooth shape to be made.

Last edited:
REALLY SORRY FOR REVIVING A DEAD THREAD!!!!

But do you still have the PDO for that mask? (my favorite persona by the way)

Sorry for the trouble, thanks.

-The Armorer

REALLY SORRY FOR REVIVING A DEAD THREAD!!!!

But do you still have the PDO for that mask? (my favorite persona by the way)

Sorry for the trouble, thanks.

-The Armorer

What, What! This isn't a dead thread. I am offended, lol :lol

I have just put this on hold for now... ;) Too many projects going on I guess. Anyways, I did do this video for tabless pepakura building:

The file... hmmmm... Winged Crafts: Malfatto Mask

It is a protected file so you can't scale it and/or change the way it has been unfolded. Wish I could have. Anyways, it is not an easy piece especially on the beak but it isn't the hardest I have done. Good Luck.

Haha! Sorry, I guess the old 405th is ingrained in my forum usage, 'don't touch anything that hasn't been active within 3 months' I'm sorry about that, I have a build that's the same way, no work on it since it got cold.

Thanks for the link, I think I've tried this one once, and failed miserably :( Hopefully I'll have a better go this time.

I've watched your video, it's very nice to see advances in pepakura assembly, I'm tackling your modified NCR Ranger (your thread, very awesome by the way), maybe for a fan film (we'll see, need to get some practice filming).

All in all thanks, your work is very inspiring. :)

-The Armorer

Haha! Sorry, I guess the old 405th is ingrained in my forum usage, 'don't touch anything that hasn't been active within 3 months' I'm sorry about that, I have a build that's the same way, no work on it since it got cold.

Thanks for the link, I think I've tried this one once, and failed miserably :( Hopefully I'll have a better go this time.

I've watched your video, it's very nice to see advances in pepakura assembly, I'm tackling your modified NCR Ranger (your thread, very awesome by the way), maybe for a fan film (we'll see, need to get some practice filming).

All in all thanks, your work is very inspiring. :)

-The Armorer

Thank you, it means a lot to be appreciated. ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back