Back to the Future Part 3 - Cowboy Marty "Clint Eastwood" - WIP

KingsKnight

I'm working on a Back to the Future part III Cowboy Marty McFly costume, and thought I would start posting my work in progress. Hopefully I can finish in time for halloween.

The goal is the 50's style cowboy outfit that Doc dresses him up in, but with Seamus's straw hat:
BTTF3_marty_cowboy_drivein.gif
BTTF3_marty_cowboy_saloon.jpg

Here's a clearer picture from when it was auctioned:
BTTF3_marty_cowboy_display.jpg

I've started work on the hat and the belt which I'll post later, but primarily I've been focusing on the shirt, since it's the hardest part of the costume, and the most recognizable part. I've done sewing before, but just by hand for past costumes. I recently bought a sewing machine so this is the first time I'll be using a it for a costume.

I bought two button up shirts, pink and blue, from the thrift store. The pink shirt is a ladies shirt, because I couldn't find that shade in mens. I just had to undo the stitching that made it slimmer in the waist to make it more like a mens shirt:
shirt_001.jpg

I cut out the shape of the blue shoulder yoke, and the front buttons all the way down. I will need the button holes to come from the blue shirt like the original. I set aside the arms from the blue shirt so I can make the fancy cuffs later. I ended up having to make a new back shoulder area since the original shirt had a seam and a pleat running right through it.
shirt_002.jpg

Here it is loosely laid on top:
shirt_003.jpg

I bought several packs of this dark red piping since there's a lot on the finished shirt, and started piping the collar and both sides of the button hole panel. At this point the blue part is attached to the pink shirt just at the front button panel. The shoulder yoke is still separate so I can add the fringe later.
shirt_004.jpg

shirt_005.jpg

I looked for fringe at the store, but couldn't find any large enough, so I bought a cheap leather vest from the thrift store, since it had nice large panels I could cut the fringe from.
shirt_006.jpg

shirt_007.jpg

Cutting the fringe took forever, since I did it by hand with scissors. In hindsight, I probably should have made each strand of the fringe thinner, but I don't think my hands could have taken the torture.
shirt_008.jpg

Here it is cut, stitched together, and positioned so you get the idea of how it will be attached to the blue part:
shirt_009.jpg

The pictures make it look like it was already the right color, but in reality it was way too dark. I spent some time painting it with some cheap acrylic paint. It wasn't as easy as you would think. Leather doesn't really cooperate.
shirt_010.jpg

shirt_011.jpg

This part sucked. I didn't want to have to stitch several times, so I decided to attach the fringe to the blue shoulder yoke and add the piping all at the same time. I wanted it to be one single piece of piping all the way around like the original, which made it that much harder. I wouldn't want to do this step again.
shirt_012.jpg

Here's another progress shot. The blue shoulder yoke (including the fringe) isn't attached to the pink part yet. only the front button part is attached for now. The proportions seem off, but the shirt will be tucked in at about the 6th button, so I hope it will look better when worn.
shirt_013.jpg

My next steps are adding the atomic symbols around the blue shoulder yoke and making the crazy sleeve cuffs. I can't embroider, so I plan to use permanent marker, paint pens, and/or puffy paint for the atomic symbols. I'll have to do some tests first.

Belt Buckle

I couldn't find the exact belt buckle he wore (there were once several available on etsy, but there are none now). So I went with something pretty close. The basic idea is that it's a gold oval western belt buckle with a silver spur. You can kind of see it here:
BTTF3_marty_cowboy_buckle.jpg

Here's what I bought for cheap on ebay. The problem is is that it's all silver, and I needed it to be gold (except for the spur).
buckle_001.jpg

I found a tip online that a good way to make silver chrome look gold is to use amber tinted shellac. So I bought this and it ended up working well.
buckle_002.jpg

buckle_003.jpg

Wow, that's great! I wished I had your talent for sewing. I really look forward for the finished costume. If you should ever think about a run of it, I'm in! :)

Looking great so far! Nice to see someone tackling a different outfit choice.
Had you not pointed out the belt buckle, I wouldn't have even noticed it was different without comparing. It's the right shape/size, so I doubt anyone else will notice either.

Wow! Nice to see somebody have a go at this costume. I really hope it comes out the way you want it. Already looks like you're off too an awesome start! Inspiring, you may say! ;)

Shirt (continued)

Thanks for the support and kind words everyone. My plan was to work on the atomic symbols next, but I did some tests with pens and paint and wasn't totally happy with the results. So I'm ordering some special braided ribbon called "Soutache" which I'm still waiting for. In the end it'll probably be a combo of the ribbon and puffy paint.

In the meantime, I thought I would get started on the sleeve cuffs. They're pretty amazing if you actually stop to look at them. They're huge and unweildy...and of course have more fringe and atomic sybols. Here's a reference shot from that auction:
shirt_014.jpg

I started by making a rough pattern out of scrap felt and adjusted it until I was happy with it.
shirt_015.jpg

Remember how I said I wanted to keep the sleeves for later? Here's why. I needed the extra blue material from the sleeves to make the big cuffs.
shirt_016.jpg

shirt_017.jpg

Each cuff has two sides, and I added some scrap felt in between to keep it a little stiffer. I also added the all important piping.
shirt_018.jpg

Next up was more fringe. I had leftover leather from before, so I made some patterns and cut the shapes out. Like before, I had to paint it to get it the right color.
shirt_019.jpg

shirt_020.jpg

After the paint dried, I sandwiched the fringe between the two sides and sewed it up.
shirt_021.jpg

I don't want to attach the cuffs yet because I want to get the atomic symbols on there before I do, but here's a progress shot with the cuffs laid on top:
shirt_022.jpg

Straw Hat

Like I mentioned in the first post, I wanted to be the version of Marty wearing the 50's cowboy outfit, but with Seamus McFly's straw hat. He doesn't wear it for very long in the movie, but I think it makes the costume look even more crazy. Here are some reference pictures:
hat_001.jpg
BTTF3_marty_cowboy_saloon.jpg

I found a cheap straw hat online at Urban Outfitters. The online price was $7.99, which was clearance. When I went down to the store to get it, it was tagged as $5.99. Awesome. Even better, when they rang it up it was only $2.99. It may not be 100% screen accurate, but it was dirt cheap.

This is what it looked like when I got it.
hat_002.jpg

I removed the black trim around the brim and also removed a bow that was wrapped around the wider black strap. Then I wanted to reshape it to make it look taller. I had some matte medium (which is used to prepare surfaces to paint, but can act like a light glue), so I painted it inside the hat and formed it to sit up higher. It's hard to tell in this picture.
hat_003.jpg

Then I broke out the paints and started aging it, making it darker on top like the movie, and making everything else a little more brown. It's a little shiny, but I think it turned out all right.
hat_004.jpg

Man, this is a really awesome build. It is nice to see somebody take on this costume, as well as find great ways to get the look right.

Haha thanks guys. Full disclosure, I do think this costume is totally silly, but that's what makes it fun. It's just so out there. Full credit goes to my girlfriend. When I told her I wanted to be a cowboy for Halloween she suggested this, and then it just took off from there.

Are you going to wear his moccasins as well :)

:lol I do have Nike Bruins, but not in the right color. I'm reluctant to paint the shoes seeing as how they're older than I am. My plan was to use some sort of red electrical tape, but I'm not sure how that'll stick. I'll post up something once I figure out what I'm going to do, but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
shoes_001_half.jpg

Belt

Since I'm still waiting on my "soutache" cord for the atomic symbols, I thought I would finish off the belt. I already worked on the buckle as I posted above, so it was time to get the rest done.

First some grainy reference pics:
belt_001.jpg
belt_002.jpg

The first step was buying a cheap belt from a thrift store since I was going to basically ruin it.
belt_003.jpg

That leather I used for the fringe goes a long way, and I still had some scrap to work with for the belt. I made a pattern for the red billets and started cutting away:
belt_004.jpg

belt_005.jpg

At this point, I cut off the original buckle and metal belt end, and sewed on the new buckle. I had to sew it on by hand since the machine couldn't get in close enough.
belt_005b.jpg

Next I prepped the belt for primer and paint. Going by a tip I read online, I lightly sanded the leather belt first and then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol to remove any coatings. I then primered the belt gray and painted the billets red. I also cut out the patterns on the back of the belt as seen in the reference picture above:
belt_006.jpg

I then painted and stitched some more scrap leather under the cutouts. I imitated the rectangle stitch around the cutouts, just like in the movie. I ended up having to repaint the pink part later, which was ok since I actually painted it too dark here.
belt_007.jpg

Then I got to work painting the yellow/tan color. It's the same color as the fringe. Pro Tip: Never use ball point pen under acrylic paint. No matter how many layers you paint, the ink will bleed through. I learned this the hard way. Even after many, many coats, you can still see the pen. Luckily, it won't be too visible under the billets.
belt_008.jpg

Once the yellow/tan was done, I repainted the cutouts lighter pink. Before stitching the billets on, I tacked them down with glue. I used Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue, which did not disappoint. I only had a few seconds to make adjustments.
belt_009.jpg
belt_010.jpg

The final step was to sew on the billets to make sure they wouldn't peel off.
belt_011.jpg

Next, I hope to get working on the pants soon.

Haha thanks guys. Full disclosure, I do think this costume is totally silly, but that's what makes it fun. It's just so out there. Full credit goes to my girlfriend. When I told her I wanted to be a cowboy for Halloween she suggested this, and then it just took off from there.

Your girlfriend suggested a BTTF themed costume? Yep, she's a keeper!

As you said, the fact it's so silly is what makes it fun. That's exactly how it was presented in the movie, and I think anybody who recognizes it will get a real kick out of it. I know I would!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back