'Arrow' from CW show. What's the base bow?

Looking at it, I don't believe there is a base bow. The limbs seems to be cheap fiberglass. The limb caps seem to be brass strap hinges for a wooden trunk with cap nuts covering up the screws. Heck, the other half of the hinge is directly below the top limb in that picture. The grip is held on by the same leather tape used on the handle of youth baseball bats. The other stuff looks like that reinforced packing tape that has the strands in it, then washed with a watered down bronze paint. The riser itself seems to be hastily carved from a table leg or something similar.

If someone can get me a relatively close estimate of how large the riser is, I can model up a rough version of it in SolidWorks.

I was suspicious that this may be the case, that there is no base bow. It may even have been cheaper for the prop makers to do it that way, not sure about outside australia, but here, even childrens bows are quite pricey!

And packing tape with strands! I knew i had seen that sort of tape somewhere but couldnt remember a name for it :p

Hey Art, thanks for posting the photos . Just wished you had posted them prior to last Thursday though. I got a phone call from my boss Wednesday night that I had to replicate the bow for a photo shoot on Friday with the actor.
Here's what we came up with:
18235-arrow2.jpg

It was made using an existing bow but not the same model used in the show.

Hey Art, thanks for posting the photos . Just wished you had posted them prior to last Thursday though. I got a phone call from my boss Wednesday night that I had to replicate the bow for a photo shoot on Friday with the actor.
Here's what we came up with:
18235-arrow2.jpg

It was made using an existing bow but not the same model used in the show.

nice looking bow what type is it also what parts did you add

We fabricated the hinges and the grip, painted the wooden grip section to look more like burl and painted the bow a light graphite color. All we had was some screen shots to work from and no time to hunt down the correct hinges or line chock. The bow was marked Crossfire that's all I know. Never saw the original packaging. The Prop master brought it in. He said it was similar to, but not the same make as the one used on the show. The original was in Canada and no time to get it to L.A. The shoot was for Entertainment Weekly so probably in the next issue.

The brass bit on the front looks like a boat rowlock, which would fit if its suposed to be made from salvaged parts on the island.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying 48" but I thought that in the comics GA says his bow is a 54". Still a kids size in real life but might be closer to being what you are looking for. I know Bear archery makes a 54" kids takedown model

I have freeze framed it and in the last episode it hit me! The base bow, looks like a childs beginning recurve from walmart. But the brass 'Hand Guards' 'Knuckle Dusters' I at fisrst thought it was a drawer handle. But after staring for 20 minutes. I realized I have them here at home. They are the Trigger guard from a replica muzzle loader, They cut a small peice off. But I would bet money on it. I would be glad to post a picture in wanted, But I am doing this on the quick.

Actually, I think it might be something off of a yacht, possibly for ropes when tying up at the docks/pier. It is one piece, and it's rather large, so I just find it a little hard to picture it on a gun.as for the other pieces around it (3 of them), they look like some sort of hinge, again, possibly off of a yacht, or something that could have washed up on a shore. (So as to tie in with the storyline). It's a cool bow and an awesome suggestion, it just doesn't seem 100%

Actually, I think it might be something off of a yacht, possibly for ropes when tying up at the docks/pier. It is one piece, and it's rather large, so I just find it a little hard to picture it on a gun.as for the other pieces around it (3 of them), they look like some sort of hinge, again, possibly off of a yacht, or something that could have washed up on a shore. (So as to tie in with the storyline). It's a cool bow and an awesome suggestion, it just doesn't seem 100%

You guys still looking for the name of this bow? If we are talking about the same bow I believe its an Oneida. I shoot one for hunting. Look up cponeida on google. I was ao excited when I saw it. I don't see them often and especially not on tv.

You guys still looking for the name of this bow? If we are talking about the same bow I believe its an Oneida. I shoot one for hunting. Look up cponeida on google. I was ao excited when I saw it. I don't see them often and especially not on tv.

This discussion is about the Season 1 bow, if you noticed the date of the first post.

The Season 2 bow has been confirmed (by the archery tech on the show) to be a CP Oneida Kestrel. You got the brand right. Good eye! I need to save up some pennies to get one.

i am currently taking bow commissions for the bow from season one if any of yous are intersted
here is a couple pic of my bow so far

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Myself and my fellow employees that have been looking into the details of this bow since the pilot episode of arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back