indy fedora

BigJoe88

need a website were i can get one, hopefully for christmas, and i know of adventure built but im looking for other options , he only does beaver felt hats anymore he says.

I have two hats from HatsDirect, both the regular Federation and the Federation Deluxe. I really like the deluxe better in most every way, but the regular fed is a great hat for under $100.

If you use their express shipping you'll have your hat in under a week.

:)

alright thanks, and u guys agree, those would likly be a fairly accurate peice as well?
i mean fairly accurate is perfect, i dont need spot on.

The Akubra Federation and Federation Deluxe are great Indy fedoras. When the Federation was designed (it's derived from an older Akubra hat model), some die-hard Indy fans were consulted and gave their view on how to design the hat.

The Deluxe is more accurate in terms of colour - it's a richer brown, while the regular Fed has a grayish tint to it.

Both hats are great - the regular Fed is well worth the $. I have one of those myself that I've been bashing, rebashing, reblocking and generally abusing... a heavy-duty hat indeed. Recommended.

ok another question im a size 7 3/4 or so, i have a military bdu cap, and its not tight, but its very very snug should i go to size 8?...and what the heck would that convert to in there system?

<div class='quotetop'>(BigJoe88 @ Nov 19 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]1360898[/snapback]</div>
ok another question im a size 7 3/4 or so, i have a military bdu cap, and its not tight, but its very very snug should i go to size 8?...and what the heck would that convert to in there system?
[/b]

How much 'or so' is there in your 7 ¾ hat size? I wouldn't order too big a hat... for some reason, in spite of being a 7 ½, I ordered the next size up and it was a bit too roomy... had to put foam under the sweat for snugness. All my other fedoras have been 7 ½, and they've been perfect fits.

Also, check out Hatsdirect's size help page:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/help-size-akubra.html

Yeah, hat size is pretty simple, as long as you don't over think it too much. Just send them your exact head measurement (in mm) and you'll get a hat that'll fit just fine.

You have a gray Fed deluxe?.? :)

Do you have any pics of it? They don't offer the deluxe in anything other than Indy brown anymore and I've love to see one. I'm curious how it compares, color and quality-wise to the gray regular federation.

I've got a Fed Deluxe myself, and love it. And as you're going to bash it yourself, you will have some control as to exactly how it fits. Now, it's a VERY good idea to send them your EXACT head measurements, but with a little steam, and some water on the inside of the leather hat band, and the thin sizing foam Hats Direct sends, you can tune and tweek the hat to your size.

You'll probably deal with Jenny Nethercote. She's awesome, and if you need anything else, or have any questions, she'll take care of them pronto.

Good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>(WinstonWolf359 @ Nov 20 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1361942[/snapback]</div>
You have a gray Fed deluxe?.? :)

Do you have any pics of it? They don't offer the deluxe in anything other than Indy brown anymore and I've love to see one. I'm curious how it compares, color and quality-wise to the gray regular federation.

[/b]

I think back when I bought it they were calling it black, but in reality, it's actually a dark grey. I'll see if I can get some pics of it up in the next day or two. Just keep your eyes peeled on this thread.

-Fred

Hey Winston,

Here's the hat under some different light conditions. The first color is probably the most accurate to how it looks in normal, everyday lighting

blackfedA.jpg

blackfed3A.jpg

blackfed2A.jpg

I went with the bash that Indy had at the end of Raiders after his meeting with army intelligence. It's very close to his brown fed bash, but not as tight of a front pinch.

-Fred

Nice hat. :D Nice bash, and the felt looks pretty soft, too. That's one of the qualities I really like about the Fed deluxe over the regular, how soft the felt is.

I've heard Akubra is making a black deluxe Fed again sometime next year, so perhaps it's the same one you have there. I've been *this* close to picking up a gray Federation regular, but I might have to hold out for the deluxe.

Thanks for sharing. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WinstonWolf359 @ Nov 21 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]1362345[/snapback]</div>
Nice hat. :D Nice bash, and the felt looks pretty soft, too. That's one of the qualities I really like about the Fed deluxe over the regular, how soft the felt is.

I've heard Akubra is making a black deluxe Fed again sometime next year, so perhaps it's the same one you have there. I've been *this* close to picking up a gray Federation regular, but I might have to hold out for the deluxe.

Thanks for sharing. :)
[/b]

Thanks, Winston. I love my feds. My brown one is all nice and floppy but holds it's shape beautifully. The grey one is a bit stiffer but that's because I don't wear it nearly as often. The brown one was just as stiff at first, but after wearing it in the rain and snow, it fits like a glove.

Wait until HD releases the black again and see if it's truly black or the more greyish color I recieved. If it turns out to be the grey, I'd suggest picking it up. The deluxe is a work of art and worth the few extra dollars.

-Fred

I have a Herbert Johnson that's supposedly the same size as my 17-year old Indy Stetson, but that one fits and the HJ doesn't. I see there are tips for making fedoras fit more snugly, but what about loosening them up?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back