NIKE MAG Patterns

cavx

Master Member
Hello RPF,

After several months, I have almost finished my NIKE MAG project.

stylized-mag-scratch-build-almost-complete-mag-build-95.jpg-116341d1349192613

Given the huge BTTF following here, I would like to share the patterns I created for the shoes so others can make their own.

stylized-mag-scratch-build-almost-complete-mag-build-94.jpg-116273d1349147407

stylized-mag-scratch-build-almost-complete-mag-build-93.jpg-116272d1349147407

This was my first attempt at making anything like this, so please excuse some of the rough edges. In fact, prior to a few weeks back, I could not even sew on a button, so I think I have made some real progress here.

OK back to the patterns.

After several revisions, I think I finally have this sorted. I am leaving the pattern as a thumbnail only.

The changes I've made include widening the tongue, the Ankle Strap and changed the sole. I've also added a seam extension where I felt I needed more room on my own project.

The squares should be 25mm x 25mm for a 1:1 of this. Those of you with larger feet should be able to scale these in a program like Paint using "image re-size".

The complex plastic parts like the Ankle Buckle and Heel Cup will be offered in the JY for those that are interested. I hope to be able to offer clear soles as well soon.

I've faked my EL using 3M reflective tape, but I am sure someone here would be more than capable of doing a set with true EL.

Last edited:
very cool! I have enough on my plate. but i may have to give this a shot! I have loved these shoes since I saw marty rock them on the big screen on opening night!

very cool! I have enough on my plate. but i may have to give this a shot! I have loved these shoes since I saw marty rock them on the big screen on opening night!

Didn't we all. I was already wearing NIKE hi-tops back then and remember being told by a lady friend that I needed to see this film because of the cool pair worn. I was hooked from that point on. 23 years later and I finally have a pair I can wear.

Do the outlines around the parts mean that they need to be folded in?

The extended lines on the toe, between the heel and ankle and around the sole are so you will have material to fold when you stitch these inside out. The is the mistake I made with my leather pair was not turning the shoe inside out to attach the sole and why I ended up with a 'not so clean toe' on my pair.

I plan on doing a cloth on foam version soon [might even do a tutorial thread] and think I can make these look so much better with the new patterns.

I am still seeking assistance here as I have done these myself and am not a shoe maker.

What size shoe is this? And how do the parts go together?

US10 and I have scaled this for larger and smaller sizes without issue. Not sure if my scaling sizing is actually correct to other US sizes though. It seems to be.

As for how they go together, have a read on the link in my sig from pg 11. I don't have a step by step done yet, but will do one soon.

Here are some images I did post on assembly.

stylized-mag-scratch-build-almost-complete-nike-mag-pattern-6.jpg-110892d1346461394

stylized-mag-scratch-build-almost-complete-nike-mag-pattern-7.jpg-110893d1346461394

Last edited:
Re: Nike mag patterns with Tutorial part 1 pg 1

Before we can get to the stage above, we need to get the patterns.

I hope the following is easy to understand.

1. click on the pattern thumbnail in post 1.

2. when it loads, it will be small but when you click on it (twice?) it should be seen at full size or 1:1.

3. Right click the image and "save as" to your PC.

4. Open the saved file in Paint (I'm using W7).

5. You should only see a portion of the pattern.
attachment.php

As mentioned, these are US10 and each square should be about one inch or 25mm. Note the red cursor line is slightly off the edge and therefor the end of the first square will also be off the 1" mark.

6. If you are seeing pixels, you can change this clicking the top left icon
attachment.php

and selecting properties.

7. Once you left click properties, the small window should open with choices for size - inches, cm or pixels.
attachment.php

Check your pattern matches the sizes shown in my image.

8. To print the patterns, click the top icon, select print, then page set up.
attachment.php

9. Another window will open.
attachment.php

Be sure to select 100% in the scaling section

10. Click the top left icon and select print and print preview.
attachment.php

11. Your preview should look like mine.
attachment.php

If it does not, you need to go back and check the settings or you will end up with a VERY SMALL pair of shoes.

12. If you are not size US10, you can change the pattern by using the resize tool in Paint.
attachment.php
Note that I have entered 110 as the percentage.

13. When you click OK, your image should 10% larger and you can see this by where the first box now ends.
attachment.php

These patterns at size 10 should use 15 x A4 sheets.

I hope this makes sense and see a few members making their own MAGs soon.

Last edited:
Re: Nike mag patterns with Tutorial part 1 pg 1 post 7

As I said, I really need help on the soles and here is why.

You know when you listen to your head and you should really be listening to your heart? Yeah, well this is what happens when I think too hard about something.

Opps back up. OK back to turorial and printing the patterns out 1:1. OK so just for giggles I made a really small PEP MAG based on Revision 2.

attachment.php

But check that sole! A massive WTF!

attachment.php

Ok, not happy Jan! So I went back into my MAG scrap heap (lucky I didn't throw any of this out) and dug out my original foamies from the original MAG project. Glued them up (is gluing foam still PEP?) and here is the result.

attachment.php

nike-mag-patterns-tutorial-part-1-pg-dscf2510.jpg-116942d1349450839

A paid of shoes that not only went together from seam to seam, they also fit my feet.

So anyway, I've revised the patterns and posted them in post #1.

Good luck and hope some has a go at this now that the patterns are sorted.

Last edited:

Sorry guys, I pulling the patterns until I can get the issues I've experienced sorted.

Question (if anyone can help): How do I export a 2D graphic from SketchUp in 1:1?

I can print the patterns 1:1 using SketchUp print setting and options, but can not seem to work out how to export the file as a JPEG or BMP. Any help would really be appreciated.

What are you going to use for the soles on your next shoes? I was thinking that if I ever did this that I would use really foam sandals. The only ones you can get are for women, but they will be torn apart and altered so much you wouldn't even notice. You would have to carve them to the right shape.

Last edited:

What are you going to use for the soles on your next shoes? I was thinking that if I ever did this that I would use really foam sandals. The only ones you can get are for women, but they will be torn apart and altered so much you wouldn't even notice. You would have to carve them to the right shape.

I am planning on casting these from various shore hardness urethane - light grey for the mid-sole, clear for the outer-sole.

I will make the master parts myself so I can get the shape closer to correct than anything currently on the market.

All this might seem moot with the V2 K-MAGs just weeks away, but because there is no images yet and heaps of "pre-order version" stuff being posted, I am not 100% these shoes are what fans want anyway.

I will be using the black rubber outer- soles off my size 10 K-MAGs (V1) as the base to create my new more SA version to be cast in clear.

I've re-worked the patterns and they seem to go together quite well now.

attachment.php

Right now, I am just having a re-think on how to cover them as whilst the outside came out awesome, the inner is gonna suck if I can't fix this.

Oops. I meant really thick foam sandals. I forgot a word. :facepalm

Oops. I meant really thick foam sandals. I forgot a word. :facepalm

The long term plan is actually cast these. To make the master, I will use 20mm EVA plus 3mm for the trim. I can buy a 4 pack of 600mm x 600mm x 20mm tiles for less than $15.

Have you decided what urethane to use?
Not 100% sure just yet. I used ERA's cold cast clear elastomer for the clear outer-sole and need to do more research for the mid-sole. The outer-sole has a shore hardness of OC80A and I would use a much softer material for the mid-sole. At the time, I didn't have a vacuum chamber, so my clear soles are quite 'frosted' with lots of small bubbles. They look cool, but clear will look better. Also they have been applied in 5 pieces. Once the master I am working on is complete, each outer-sole will be just two.

I've got the pyramid mat for the underside of the sole and recently found a neat "square based waffle" for the sides. I just need to purchase some of the material and glue it up.

I have the shape of the inner-sole sorted, so once I do the out-sole, I will just need to be sure it fits in between. I want the mid-sole and outer-sole to have that nice wedge shape which is wider at the base.

On the real shoes the outer soles are more of a white color instead of fully clear. You can probably achieve that just by adding some white dye. And I thought the entire outer soles were all the same shape. I didn't know the sides were different. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

Last edited:

On the real shoes the outer soles are more of a white color instead of fully clear. You can probably achieve that just by adding some white dye. And I thought the entire outer soles were all the same shape. I didn't know the sides were different. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

When the clear outer-sole is glued to the grey mid-sole, it looks whitish.

Yeah positive on the base, negative on the sides. I missed that point too when I did my first pair and unless I can find a better shot, I think cloneprops missed it too.

attachment.php

It looks like his outer-soles have a negative imprint on the base as well as the sides. I really like the look of this on my shoes, but it does compromise grip on smooth surfaces like tile floors.

What happened to the patters, are you still editing them? And thanks for all of your work. I may use your tutorial for my own shoes in the future if that's alright with you.

I think I have the pattern sorted now. I've made a few paper and foam shoes and generally, they seem go together really well. The inner side seam is probably the only part that may need a trim when you put them together.

The challenge is in scaling the patterns. I can print these out 1:1 direct from SketchUp, but the settings are tricky (lots of things to check) or you end up with a 97% (default?) or smaller, not 100% versions. Also I can't convert these to bitmap at 1:1.

When I did the patterns shown in the earlier post, I used the "export as a bitmap" to Paint but what you get is a window limited by the size of the PC monitor and I had to stitch the pieces of the patterns together in Paint. To set the actual size requires the scroll dial to be set and really it was all a bit hit and miss and why I pulled them.

This is why I am asking for help on this. I really want to know how to export the pattern as a 1:1 bitmap that can be emailed. I've done the work and don't care for reward for it. I just want every BTTF fan to be able to own their own MAGs and if these V2s bomb, then we may be able to build an accurate, wearable pair. I just need some help because I don't know everything about what is needed here.

There are guys on this site that know way more then me on SU. It is just finding them and getting their input to this cause.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back