so... bondo?

I would not ever use Bondo it is garbage. Use Auto grade filler you will save yourself a ton of time and sandpaper. Hand sand everything only way to make it true to form/straight and sharp.

I would not ever use Bondo it is garbage. Use Auto grade filler you will save yourself a ton of time and sandpaper. Hand sand everything only way to make it true to form/straight and sharp.

Everyone seems to use it though... So there must be a reason, right?

Ok, so what is the difference? I thought Bondo was a automotive filler. I mean, I've only used the bondo glaze personally, but there are a few things I have that need more than pinholes filled.

Indeed ^^. "Bondo" is a name brand, but people usually use it as the general term for body filler. "Bondo" is not a garbage brand. It is made by 3M, and they make quality products. You should just look for an auto body filler at your local hardware or auto shop. You can electric sand or file off the bigger chunks (if they happen) but I find hand sanding to be the best. It allows you to feel better. If you have any straight or flat parts, try using a piece of wood or a popsicle stick for smaller more detailed areas. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

I hand sand, Start with 40 grit while the filler isn't 100% hardened.. knock it down till its even, then hit it with 80. Anything left you can use a spot filler on.

Depending on what you're sanding a power or air sander can cause trouble if you aren't used to them.

Yes indeed Bondo is a brnad name and it is infact garbage. 3M makes quality products for sure, there filler is not one of them though. ;)

I have been a Autobody tech for 23+ years now and not once have I ever worked in or had Bondo brand as a standard filler. Anything by Evercoat or USC is far far superior in every way including price in most cases. Give yourself a treat and pick some up and see for yourself. :cool

Indeed ^^. "Bondo" is a name brand, but people usually use it as the general term for body filler. "Bondo" is not a garbage brand. It is made by 3M, and they make quality products. You should just look for an auto body filler at your local hardware or auto shop. You can electric sand or file off the bigger chunks (if they happen) but I find hand sanding to be the best. It allows you to feel better. If you have any straight or flat parts, try using a piece of wood or a popsicle stick for smaller more detailed areas. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Autobody tech for 23+ years?! Well sir, I am not worthy. I have been an Autobody tech for only 4 years. I haven't really had any issues with the Bondo product. I pictured "garbage brands" as that low quality crap from Walmart that no one has really heard of.

Hope I didn't step on your toes as the new guy. -.-

Lol not at all. :) Just really do not like the resin filled Bondo brand filler makes far more work than it saves. And of course this is only MO. ;)

Autobody tech for 23+ years?! Well sir, I am not worthy. I have been an Autobody tech for only 4 years. I haven't really had any issues with the Bondo product. I pictured "garbage brands" as that low quality crap from Walmart that no one has really heard of.

Hope I didn't step on your toes as the new guy. -.-

If it's the awesome stuff you all say it is, I'd give it a try, but Advance sells it for over $60 a gallon, nearly 3x as much as regular bondo sells for! Ouch! I don't mind paying a little more for quality stuff, but 3x? I guess if it'll save me that much in time and effort to sand it, maybe it'd be worth more... but geeze, can you at least recommend somewhere I can get a couple of gallons of the stuff for cheaper than $130?

Electric sander to get it close and then hand sand to a finish. That's how I do it anyway.

Yep I do the same... I also will use my dremel sanding attachment to get into some of the finer areas.

This is what I use... def not a pro but it works fine for me and I can get it pretty cheap

262-bondo-lightweight-body-filler.jpg

I've posted this a few times before but here it is again.

For fill and or a rough out coat I use this, I get it for $19 a gal. Sands about 10X better than Bondo brand and has a longer work time before full cure.

Evercoat

I normally use EverGold for finishing but it is $55 a gal. A less expensive option would be the Quantum which comes in a 1/2 gal so cheaper by quite a bit not 100% sure on an exact price never bought any but it was far cheaper than the Gold.

Evercoat

Awesome, I didn't immediately see the lite weight filler. Thanks Finhead! I'm due to buy some more anyway, so this helps me immensely.

I've been using P38 Body filler from Halfords (UK). I feel like i need to use alot over the suit to get an even coat. I've been told not to use that much and use thin layers buts just impossible with this stuff. Sanding it is a nightmare too. I've got a large sander, and a tiny sander. Sanding by hand doesnt make any difference.

I prefer fiberglassing than body filling :(

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back