The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

I know it's too late for this year and it may have been discussed after last year, but why not keep the voting to members who have only had a registered account for a specific amount of time? Like maybe 30 days prior to the start of the contest? That way it's not just a bunch of people registering for an account just to vote and then disappearing from the forum.

I understand that part of this contest is to drum up more interest in the RPF, but to me it doesn't make sense to increase the number of inactive accounts on the forum.

Just my $0.02

i feel the same way....no offense to anyone participating, but "halloween contests" like this are marketing schemes to get your friends to join an organization or liking some business facebook page....not necessarily a costume contest, but a contest to see who can get the most friends to sign up......i think last years contest drama showed how important it was to "market yourself"....which turned out pretty nasty after the results were given

maybe a way to balance this is to add an extra bonus prize.....the bonus prize should be conducted by an independent judge group composed of random veteran members (excluding mods and contest admin) to vote on one contestant in each group....we can call it the veterans choice award.......

people can still interact and participate in the general contest by voting for their
"friends"/"favorites"

maybe a way to balance this is to add an extra bonus prize.....the bonus prize should be conducted by an independent judge group composed of random veteran members (excluding mods and contest admin) to vote on one contestant in each group....we can call it the veterans choice award.......

Certainly something to consider for next year. Perhaps in each category having two voted and one peer judged prize would ease some people's fears.

Hi, I am a new member so I am not sure on if I can enter or not. I made costumes for my kids from Legend of the Seeker and I would like to enter a picture of them together. I don't have any progress pictures though because I made them for DragonCon and it was last minutes so I only had a couple of days to make them and didn't stop for pics. Can I still enter? And would I enter them for group since there are two of them in the pic or kids under 12 since they are 4 and 5? Thanks:)

Hi, I am a new member so I am not sure on if I can enter or not. I made costumes for my kids from Legend of the Seeker and I would like to enter a picture of them together. I don't have any progress pictures though because I made them for DragonCon and it was last minutes so I only had a couple of days to make them and didn't stop for pics. Can I still enter? And would I enter them for group since there are two of them in the pic or kids under 12 since they are 4 and 5? Thanks:)

You can enter provided you fulfill all the requirements. You do have to post a build thread but I guess yours won't have any pics aside from the proof photo and the final result. Just try and be as descriptive as possible in explaining how you built them. :thumbsup

You can enter provided you fulfill all the requirements. You do have to post a build thread but I guess yours won't have any pics aside from the proof photo and the final result. Just try and be as descriptive as possible in explaining how you built them. :thumbsup

Sooo, the proof photo is the one with you holding a sign right? I am new to the forum but not to making costumes so I hope to be posting a lot soon. And I guess a build thread would be like, I am making (character) costume and posting the steps? I am going to have to make several threads for upcoming costumes I am making, including my 3 mord sith leathers:)

Sooo, the proof photo is the one with you holding a sign right? I am new to the forum but not to making costumes so I hope to be posting a lot soon. And I guess a build thread would be like, I am making (character) costume and posting the steps? I am going to have to make several threads for upcoming costumes I am making, including my 3 mord sith leathers:)

You've got it on all accounts. :thumbsup

Would a mask that I had commissioned count as a store bought item?

Would a mask that I had commissioned count as a store bought item?

Tough one but I would say yes AND no. It doesn't count as something you made but if you commissioned it then you have the right to claim it as "yours" for the purpose of wearing it in the contest.

Presumably you have the rest of the costume too and would have put some work into that so you should be alright for the build thread.

Tough one but I would say yes AND no. It doesn't count as something you made but if you commissioned it then you have the right to claim it as "yours" for the purpose of wearing it in the contest.

Presumably you have the rest of the costume too and would have put some work into that so you should be alright for the build thread.

Thanks so much for the reply! To avoid disqualification (if my costume turns out to not fully adhere to the regulations), could you just take a quick look at my build thread before I create my Halloween entry thread (with proof picutre, etc.)?

That way I know whether or not to even bother :p

Here's my thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/freddy-krueger-part-2-costume-163220/

what if i already started on my costume and dont have pictures of the original product because i will be rescue bucky captain america and im 13

I can see why you might be concerned. When it comes to situations like this I take a good hard look at the rules. Here's what I found in regard to purchased costumes:

No store-bought costumes! If it came from Wal-Mart, this probably isn't the contest for you. (Staff reserves the right to deny entry or disqualify an entry based on source of costume.)

Your costume was not purchased from a store, it was sourced from multiple vendors. Also, you've clearly put some extra effort into weathering to give this the feel that is has (I believe you're still in that process as well looking at your thread).

Unless Art overrules me I'm going to allow it.

I suggest going to town on your build thread. Document as best you can the modifications you make and really sell your personal work on this costume.

Good luck! :thumbsup

what if i already started on my costume and dont have pictures of the original product because i will be rescue bucky captain america and im 13

Build threads are best with photos but they are not required. The only required photos are the proof photo and your gallery photo. Be as descriptive as you can in your thread about what you did and how you did it and you should be fine.

Try to take photos of any further work you do!

Unless Art overrules me I'm going to allow it.

I suggest going to town on your build thread. Document as best you can the modifications you make and really sell your personal work on this costume.

Good luck! :thumbsup

Thank you so much! I'll definitely be adding more to my build thread ASAP :) Thanks again!

- Ralph

I am new here, and I made a completed costume thread not too long ago. I feel odd about making a progress thread so soon over the same build. Seems like I am begging for comments, lol.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back