Farscape Pulse Rifle

"Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head."

Crichtonisms . . . gotta love 'em!

The bad casts have thin spots and large bubbles close to the surface, which cause bulges. I think I salvaged one using a heat gun and a little air pressure to expand the collapsed sides. The pic is my first casting attempt - the pot life was a lot shorter than I thought it was! LOL

A little more progress on the first scope. I'm much more comfortable with the way this one's coming along.

"Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head."

Crichtonisms . . . gotta love 'em!

The bad casts have thin spots and large bubbles close to the surface, which cause bulges. I think I salvaged one using a heat gun and a little air pressure to expand the collapsed sides. The pic is my first casting attempt - the pot life was a lot shorter than I thought it was! LOL

A little more progress on the first scope. I'm much more comfortable with the way this one's coming along.

lol, I hate to say it, but I think I'd give a try to saving that cast myself lol, 2 part epxy putty in the grip, then fill the cast with expanding foam. Use a little bondo to sure it up and then make it one of the longer pulse rifles lol. But yeah, I can see the problems you're having.

Thanks Talyn - I just received a set of miter gears for the rotocaster. I already have bearings and a second hand treadmill for the motor. Hope to order some steel/aluminum soon for the frame.

I think that particular bad cast will be my experimental sacrifice. It's worse than the pic shows.

I think I'm done with the first scope version. And the laser knife is finished too. Well, I'm done trying to tweak the bottom of the grooves anyway. Mold making time!

p00k This. Is. Immense. :D

It's so cool, it's dragged me out from lurking on the sidelines and made me register!

Big fan of Farscape here, so it's been great to read about your rifle project and the progress you've made. Like a lot of people, I would probably be *very* interested in one of these (price allowing and landing a new job in the next few days!).

Seriously, congrats again. Am inspired!

Dev.

Well,
I bought one of Ozmandius' perfect pulse pistols, and I was planning on doing one of the season one holsters . . . eventually. The attached pic is my goal - the holster is actually the right thigh piece, so making the holster accomplishes two tasks! And my being somewhat larger than the average bear works better with Peacekeeper heavy infantry.

After a lot of trial and error, I finally have casts of the first scope version! The scope has a few small bubbles, due to my casting technique I guess (still learning). They're in a position that's easily fixed. I'll probably attach this one to one of the better rifle castings and paint it up.

No progress on the rotocasting machine, so no new rifle casts. Weather and work have conspired to slow me down on that front, but I'm still working on smaller pieces like the other two scopes. :)

After a lot of trial and error, I finally have casts of the first scope version! The scope has a few small bubbles, due to my casting technique I guess (still learning). They're in a position that's easily fixed. I'll probably attach this one to one of the better rifle castings and paint it up.

No progress on the rotocasting machine, so no new rifle casts. Weather and work have conspired to slow me down on that front, but I'm still working on smaller pieces like the other two scopes. :)

Ah these are looking really sweet. Looks like the scopes are fiddly work to mould so am happy to see you've pulled it off!

Keep it up! Can't wait to see the first bad boy painted up! :)

While looking through a few new screencaps, I found a small detail that needed correcting. The sides of the sling attachment point were angled - they're supposed to be straight. This also solves the problem of the small shackle that the sling attaches to not fitting correctly.

Progress on the rotocasting machine has slowed to a stop. I couldn't wait any longer, so I assembled one of the best casts with the scope and painted it semi-gloss black. I've asked several people if I should weather it (whether to weather :lol) and got mixed results. What do you guys think?

Nice job :thumbsup
If you don't go for weathering, I would suggest changing the black to either matt or satin.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back