Farscape Pulse Rifle

Sealing the MDF before priming was something of an unclear process. After a bit of research, one of the methods I found used automotive 2K urethane primer and skipped the sealer. I already had access to the urethane primer, so I tested it on a scrap of MDF with good results. A couple of coats of primer later, and the pulse rifle's really looking good! There are a few spots of fuzz from the bare MDF and various pinholes and flaws that need filling with putty. Using 180 grit sandpaper, everything seemed to sand out really smooth.

Looking good.
Let me know if you need any dimensions from my Creation Entertainment PR (the type that was used in Peacekeeper Wars)

Thanks Nobby!
I must be doing OK if someone who actually owns one thinks it's on the right track!

Rich

Thanks Nobby!
I must be doing OK if someone who actually owns one thinks it's on the right track!

Rich

Yeah, without knowing your sizing it looks about as close as you could get!
People with skills like yours totally blow me away :thumbsup

I found a near-perfect match for the strap/sling. It's a dog leash! I estimated the sling to be a 3 foot long (91.5cm) by 1 inch wide (2.5cm) piece of red nylon or polyester webbing with a (brass?) square loop swivel lobster claw clasp (say that three times fast). Well, the clasp doesn't have a square attachment loop (it's trapezoidal), but it's about the correct size and the leash is 4 feet long (122cm). That's enough to cut the hand loop off the strap and re-attach it by the clasp, which makes the perfect sling size! Cool!

Got the other side primed, puttied (is that a word?), sanded, and a final coat of primer on the first side. I'm doing this at work, so every time we have to prime something, I mix a bit extra to prime the pulse rifle. Saves me a bit of cash. In one of the pics, you can see a couple of interesting things I acquired which may lead to a future project.

I'm hoping to make a 2 part silicone mold with a fiberglass mothermold and I intend to rotocast it so the rifle won't weigh 15 pounds. The flash suppressor will be a separate mold. I checked a few alternate sources for mold making and casting supplies, but most on the RPF seem to like Smooth-On products. I decided on Oomoo 30 for the mold and Smooth-Cast 320 for the casting (tinted grey). I'm hoping to order it soon so it'll all come in about the time I get the original finished. As far as exactly how to set up the mold for rotocasting, um, I'm still working on it. I guess I'm asking for advice on the mold design, the materials I picked out, quantities, etc. To quote Leelo, "Please, help."

Thanks Nobby!
Once I get these cast, I'm hoping to build the two original scopes from the series so they can be added on. The plumbing pipe-looking one I can handle, but I'll need my nephew's help and possibly a metal lathe for the second. I'm a little worried about copying the CE version, so I think I'll leave that one alone. The two grips (in the previous post pics) are close to the ones on the heavy pulse rifle that Aeryn used so much. The heavy pulse pistol, as carried by Xhalax, looks as though it was created from a mis-cast pulse rifle. I see a lot of possibilities, and I'm drawing and checking for proportions and possible materials.

I finished the new comms and updated the comm build thread -
http://www.therpf.com/f9/farscape-comm-pin-161365/

I must admit I was never a fan of the 'pipe' scope.

I wouldn't worry too much about copying the CE scope. It was, after all, screen used and you would be scratchbuilding it. You'd be in trouble if you cast directly from the CE, but as that's not the case I say go for it :)

Amazing work so far!!! The build is looking great and the casts being roto cast will make a nice prop!! Offering both scope options is a great idea too allows us to customize them. I know I'm going to want 2 eventually. I like John's heavy pulse rifle better then Aeryn's.

Are you thinking about offering the heavy pistol as well?

Awesome! The 'Scapers are coming out of the woodwork! I KNEW we weren't so few in numbers.

Nobby, you've about got me convinced. I'll draw one up and see if it can be designed into an add-on as well.

Thanks for the encouragement, reaper63! I've only cast one piece before, so I'm still learning and experimenting. John's heavy PR doesn't look too hard to reconstruct. Check out the attached pic: it's the original owner of John's heavy PR. The heavy pistol is a definite possibility. This is still new to me, and I don't know how much I can handle.

I must admit though, I'm really having a blast building the PR!

-Rich

love that Commando costume!!! I think that's why I prefer that heavy pulse rifle above Aeryn's.

as for doing the casting and pleasiing all us Scapers, you just take your time and do one project at a time. We can be patient when it's called for. :)

One final coat of primer on the last side and an overall sanding with a Scotch-Brite pad. The buttons have been glued on too (I forgot). I think it's ready for mold-making time! The mold rubber and resin are ordered and on their way.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back