Nerf Longshot to Aliens Pulse-Rifle(ish)

sween1911

Hey all,

A little backround.... been a big fan of the movie. My sister recently asked me to get/how to get/where to get the pulse rifle from Aliens because she plans on being Ripley for Halloween. I googled around and found some stuff, but my mind lingered to the Nerf longshot I have. My kids play with it from time to time, but I thought I might be able to make something out of it. I am by NO means up to the task of making a movie-quality prop, but I found a few mods online to move the forward pump-action section under the forend and giving it the feel of the pulse rifle.

A few pics....

1002122306_zpsefd15384.jpg

1002122324_zps5e42591c.jpg

Got the forward end cut apart, and have shaped it to fit under the forend. I am using Gorilla glue 5-minute epoxy to mount the fronr trigger section minus the foregrip so the front pump-action dart gun will still fire. I'll add more pics and detail when I get it fitted together better.

There's a lot of amazing talent on RPF, way outta my league with some of the stuff I've seen from you guys and gals. For a Halloween costume quality piece, I'm hoping this will work well!

Any hints tips on painting it? I'm thinking of flat black all over and some green/tan highlights here and there.

Could work. though the proportions might be a little off, unless you rebuild the handle. But it gets the general idea.

Also, Blue Longshots fetch a good sum of money on Ebay... especially when yours seems to be complete and with good paint condition... But since you cut it up... oh well...

*blink*

Oh well. Hrm. One of those things I never would have looked up beforehand. I appreciate the info though. I had modified it with a small screw through the top hatch so the breech would open when the charging handle was cycled.

Last edited:
Okay, got the major parts together.
1003121928_zps2693b8c3.jpg

After the picture above, I joined the pump-action front gun to the main gun and have it screwed in place with some JB Weld filling in the blanks. Looks and works pretty well.

Today, I got a few minutes to hit the receiver with a coat of flat black spraypaint. I have the forend and the adjustable shoulder stock removed and those have a coat as well. I did -NOT- disassemble the entire gun, but the paint is pretty even and looking good so far.

painting_zps59eb4747.jpg

Also have to sand and spray one of the magazines I have for this gun.

Thanks buddy!

Hanging up in the workshop to dry out of the cold. I take a picture without the flash and I'm thinking it looks pretty cool...

DSCN6663_zpsed13caf3.jpg

Then I take a picture WITH the flash and I see all the spots I missed. :)

DSCN6661_zps65cb2bb4.jpg

I made little plates out of the parts I cut off and have them screwed to the body and the pumpgun to keep it on. I cheesily connected the two together at the front and used some JB weld to connect them. Unfortunately, I dropped it in the garage and the JB weld popped off. I need to beef up the connection between the pump and the main guns at the front.

Sprayed the bolt handle knobs, forend, butt and magazine and then a few coats of matte clear.

(sorry, it's a cel phone pic, I'll take some better pics)
painted_zps4f316203.jpg

It's "done" as far as the base layer of assembly and a good black finish, but I'm still wondering what sort of details I can add, metallic wear-spots, highlighting some of the little molded details. I'll think about it a bit.

Some more details...

DSCN6751_zps30d79372.jpg

DSCN6752_zpsdb9de9c6.jpg

DSCN6754_zps84d4abf8.jpg

To cleanup the transition between the top and bottom near the muzzle, I used a strip of kydex and formed it as close to the muzzle as I could and bolted it in place...

DSCN6747_zpse9b02de1.jpg

It's amazing no matter how I spray, when I take closeup flash pictures, I can still see missed bits. I'm pretty much a newbie at spray painting Nerf guns. I removed the forend and buttstock and magazine to spray this, but did not do an entire disassembly. The clear coats really helped make it handle-able without getting black bits of paint on one's hands. Yes, the kids and I played with it already. :)

Oh, and my sister didn't get the rest of her Ripley costume together and bailed on the idea, so this is just my toy again. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back