Hocus Pocus Winifred Sanderson

TeresaMRoberts

So I ended up decided on Winifred Sanderson for Halloween this year over the matching costume with my children. Sorry I had to go with the better costume. So my mother is going has Mary and Me as Winnie, Sorry no Sara.

HocusPocusBetteMidlercostumeFull.jpg

I its kinda hard to see but this is one of the best screen shots i could get.
She has red bloomers with red lace that go down right past her knee's. If you watch the movie and look for it you'll see it several times through out the movie.

WinifredsLegs.jpg

I finished my red bloomers. I had left over venise lace from my sons Hook costume last year. I wanted it red. Could only find in China to be shipped. Besides not wanting to wait was afraid it wouldn't get here in time. Used the left over white lace and use red tie dye and dyed it all red. Worked great.
Used PJ pants pattern. Shortened it and used draw string instead of elastic.

100_1152.jpg

Funny joke, if you look at the ribbon, i used a Victoria's Secret (grosgrain) ribbon for the draw string. HEHEHE makes laugh.

Last edited:
So I'm running seriously short on time. Don't think I'll get the symbols on this year but I'm using two different patterns to frankinpattern together, modify and add a few pieces.
I'm using
McCalls 4997
4997.jpg

and Simplicity 2573
2573.jpg

Took Underdress from the Simplicty Pattern, using Purple and Green Apple cotton Gauze matterial.
DSC00264.jpg

And I hated it.... Then I relied why, The skirt pieces on her costume don't look attached. So I've picked stitches between the green and purple peices all the way up to bodice area. Remember there is a greeen corset going over the top along with the jacket. So it was better but still not happy. SO then i'm attaching two more pieces of green fabric. So far I like it better. But I only have strait pins in it. Once I get it stitched I'll take pics and post :)

Also Plan on using the sleeves and the bodice from the Simplicity cosutme. And then Out side skirt for the jacket and under sleeve from the Mcalls Pattern. I'm accually going to attach the under sleeve to the corset part. I"m just using the bodice pattern twice. One on green satin and on the kelly green velvet fabric I've chosen for the jacket. I've got almost all the peices cut out just need to piece them together. Not to mintion the puple tie dye :D Stay tuned!

This is great!
Gonna watch the development of this costume!

Hocus Pocus is a guilty pleasure type film for me. I love trying to spot the guy dressed in one if the original Tron costumes at the costume ball at the end of the film, haha.

This is great!
Gonna watch the development of this costume!

Hocus Pocus is a guilty pleasure type film for me. I love trying to spot the guy dressed in one if the original Tron costumes at the costume ball at the end of the film, haha.

Ok so I added to the underdress. I'm much happier with it now. I don't have a picture of it yet but i will :)
I've almost finished with the under corset type vest. Green satin and Kelly Green Velven sleeves. I also found Spider web Lace gloves (purple) on ebay halloween store. Well they were kind of shaped like gloves... But that didn't mater to me much becuase I planned on cutting off the hand parts at a point like hers anyway. So I decided to attached it to the sleeve as well. and Purple lace. Keep in mind this all goes under her giant sleeves of the jacket... You only catch glimpses of theses sleeves though the slits at the top of the jacket sleeves. Sorry For all the typo's I'm not on my computer and I'm in a hurry LOL.
102212200608.jpg

Still need to add the grommets/ eyelets so i can run the gold cording through it but I think its looking good :)

Alright, so I got the outer shell of the jacket together but forgot to take a pic. (sorry my progress photos arnt as many as I usually do. Pressed for time so I've been in a hurry. I added the purple tye die to the bottom of the underdress. As well as to the green outer shell of the jacket last night. This morning before work I washed out the dye. The Underdress held the tye dye well I think and makes it look very weathered :)

102412072855.jpg

Sorry for the image quality took it with my cell in low laundry room light. But I promise it looks good and since i didn't hem anything it all looks ragged and warn very nicely. :)

HOWEVER with that being said the purple tye dye DID NOT hold in my velvet... Washed right out. I'm thinking I may have had the fabric too wet wehen I applied the dye. SOOOOOoooooo ran it though a spin cycle reapplied the dye this morning. Before Job #1. I'm at Job #2 and I'll rinse it out when I get home, 15 hours should be long enough. It's either going to hold or its not lol. Cross your fingers that it holds. Now On the green underdress the dye looks purple but on the velvet it looks black but unfortuatly unless I bleach it first I don't think i can get Purple. So I'll settle for black :-/

Now while at Job #2 I'm working on my under corset thingy. (I know my terms are so technical! lol) Got the other sleeve on. I didn't like how tight it fit so I let out the darts in the back. I laso got the grommets in and laced up the front to see how it fits and I think I'm happy. I'm not going to take out the darts in the front. Here's how it looks :)
102412193514.jpg

I need to Sew the center poin on the sleeves so that I can hook a loop around my middle finger other than that I think this peice is done!

Also before Job #1, this morning I Finished sewing the underskirt that goes under the under dress (RED) MAN! This costume has a TON of layers! Turned out really good! All I did was take my left over Red Gauze material. I had bought 5 yards, Used alittle on my bloomers.. Probably about 1-2 yards. I took the raw edges and sewed them together to make a big circle of material. trimmed one of the salvage edges off so that it would be a little frayie. Then folded the other salvage edge in about 1 1/4 inch and sewed around it making a casing for my elastic. Took a peice of elastic the size of my waiste in it and scrunched it. The periodicly sliced up the skirt a little. I need to run it through a wash to make it warn looking insead of freshly cut. Then I'll take some pics :)

Last edited:
First time putting this together. I Still need to run the red underskirt through the wash and adjust the skirt lengths but I think it looking pretty good :)
WinnieSandersonHocusPocus.jpg

So I started researching it, ( yeah I know I should have done that BEFORE!) lol and yeah.....

Unfortunately, if its a synthetic, you are going to have a bear of a time getting it to stick... might I suggest spray paint in thin thin thin coats?

You are right. Apparently its like impossible to dye poly spandex blend at home. Found one promising lead but it didn't work. Everything else says... no it isn't going to happen...

Thanks for the idea of spray paint... That got me thinking. I've never been good with spray paint, painting evenly and ends up always runny lol. HOWEVER, I just learned how to screen print the last few months. I have water-base screen printing ink! So I can mix up some purple. Water based ink blends with the fabric and becomes a part of the fabric. You can add water to dilute it as well. So I just smeared a little bit of ink on a test piece of fabric. I'll heat set it in the morning and see how it looks. :) Thanks so much for the help! I would have never thought in that direction with out u!

Alright so I tested a little bit of purple water based screen print ink. I smeared some on a scrap piece the material. Let it dry. Then set it with heat using my iron. Then washed it. And... IT HELD! YEAH!

DSC00275.jpg

So this morning I attempted to create a tie dye pattern on the velvet using ink.

I first took a section of the jacket sprayed light layer of water.

DSC00279.jpg

then scrunch the material

DSC00280.jpg

Place the ink on top of the wrinkles

DSC00282.jpg

and I think it kinda creates the pattern.
DSC00283.jpg

So now I'm waiting the ink to dry so I can set it. Once I do this I wash it and take some pics :)

Ok SO I still need to put the collar on the green jacket and gold ball trim but Here it is so far...
WinnieSHP1.jpg

WinnieSHP2.jpg

I'm not going to have time to put the symbols on the jacket before I leave tomorrow.

I have some brown witchy looking shoes but I wanted to make them look more like her boots. I'm noting going to have time for that either. I'll just have to have those other things added by next halloween :)

Oh i'm also going to add the rhinestones in to. You can only see hers when the light hits it so i got small green ones to just sporadically mix in the jacket...

Coming together very well! Can't wait to see some Halloween pics![/QUOTE

What a great costume. I also made all three of the Sanderson sisters costumes in 2011 but my Winifred costume needs revamping.
Can you answer a few questions for me?
For the underdress: Did you put sleeves on it of just elastic around the top ad wear like a tube top under the laced bodice?

For the velvet jacket: Did you use the Simplicity sleeve or the McCalls sleeve? Did you use the bodice of the simplicity but the skirt from McCalls for the jacket? I hope you are still reading this thread ;)

what a great costume. I also made all three of the Sanderson sisters costumes in 2011 but my Winifred costume needs revamping.
Can you answer a few questions for me?
For the underdress: Did you put sleeves on it of just elastic around the top ad wear like a tube top under the laced bodice?

For the velvet jacket: Did you use the Simplicity sleeve or the McCalls sleeve? Did you use the bodice of the simplicity but the skirt from McCalls for the jacket? I hope you are still reading this thread

Ok so I know it's been years lol but I'm coming back to this costume :) I wasn't happy with it and ran out of time so I put it aside. So I hate the stretch velvet, jacket just really heavy and the stretch won't hold the form. So I'm taking it apart and I'm going to use iridescent green taffeta. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409011856.789799.jpg
Even though it isn't tie dye I think the purple iridescent makes up for it. In really excited about using this. Amazing it's something I've had for years and years before I ever started this project. I bought a bunch of fabric crazy cheap from a lady who was getting out of sewing and this was among that fabric!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back