So the Weeping Angels take you...

Michael Bergeron

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Alright folks last night after watching the new Doctor Who I was thinking (don't worry, no spoilers). If the Angels sent you into the past just far enough so that you would die today at the ripe old age of 90 what would you do with your future knowledge?

Here are the rules:

- You are sent back just far enough so that you would be 90 this year. In my case I'm 31 so I would be sent back 59 years to 1953. Tell us what year you go back to.

- You have to remain low key and can't severely change anything. For instance, you can't beat George Lucas to the punch with Star Wars because no matter how well you know it you would change the movie. Let's try and avoid the worst paradox's although obviously some small ones are inevitable.

- Remember, unless you're over 75 years old there's no internet to consult for information once you're sent back. What you do has to be based on what's in your head right now. You have no way of finding out what stock prices will be like at any given time unless you know it now for instance.

- You CAN NOT meet or interact with yourself or any relatives either directly or indirectly.

Curious to see what comes up. I'll have to think some more about mine... :)

Last edited:
I'm sent RIGHT away.

I sell my watch there, to some rich dude, and get paid in gold.

I use that gold + my current knowledge of past events to make money. This is basic stuff taught in business school.

Everything i make, i get in gold (its worth a lot more now).

Once i come back, insta millionaire, if not billionaire.

Not too shabby a business model. Only problem with investments like that is by the time they come to fruition you're too old to realize the benefits of it. A person sent back will be 70 in 1992. 80 in 2002. I know my personal overall knowledge of things like he gold market (or really any other market) is all post 1990.

Also keep in mind the way the angels work. You never come back, you're sent back in time to live out your life. :)

I go to California and move to San Fernando Valley to purchase a home and as much land as I can...Skip 20 years into the future and I am now either directing or renting out my property for *cough* Special Interests films.

The end...

I would probably attempt, at least once, to give myself a warning and use the timeloop to my advantage. Basically, leave myself a packet with info that I would only know at any age, as a means of attempting to give myself the warning about the Angels and possibly come up with a strategy to use against the Weeping Angels. And, I would tell myself to make sure I keep the info on me, in case I fail, so that each time I get sent back, the next one can develop a better strategy. And, if all else fails, I can always make the note: "If all else fails, just avoid being at this location, at this time, and you'll avoid the situation all together."

I'm 34 this coming month so i'd be sent back to 1956. I'd use what little i know to make money off companies i know will be worth cash (google, microsoft, apple) while staying low key. I'd love to get some of the profits to my family as they grew up and had me but i don't see any way of doing that without all sorts of issues arising. i would find a way to get into the game industry at it's very beginning even if i am in my 60s at the time of it arriving.

I would probably attempt, at least once, to give myself a warning and use the timeloop to my advantage. Basically, leave myself a packet with info that I would only know at any age, as a means of attempting to give myself the warning about the Angels and possibly come up with a strategy to use against the Weeping Angels. And, I would tell myself to make sure I keep the info on me, in case I fail, so that each time I get sent back, the next one can develop a better strategy. And, if all else fails, I can always make the note: "If all else fails, just avoid being at this location, at this time, and you'll avoid the situation all together."

Although clever I'm going to institute the rule:

- You CAN NOT meet any relatives either directly or indirectly.

and say that you are indeed related to yourself. ;) :lol

Although clever I'm going to institute the rule:

and say that you are indeed related to yourself. ;) :lol

Unfortunately, you forget one thing: I'm not related to myself. I AM myself. Being related to myself would imply that I am a different person with a connection. If I'm me, and I interact with my past self, I am still me, and my past self would also be me as well. We are not two separate people, we're just the same person from two different time periods. So, the rule doesn't apply.

Besides, like I said, I would be leaving behind a packet of information for myself, so there's a good chance I wouldn't meet myself in person.

Not too shabby a business model. Only problem with investments like that is by the time they come to fruition you're too old to realize the benefits of it. A person sent back will be 70 in 1992. 80 in 2002. I know my personal overall knowledge of things like he gold market (or really any other market) is all post 1990.

Also keep in mind the way the angels work. You never come back, you're sent back in time to live out your life. :)

I'm sent back in 1947. Theirs a LOT of way to make VERY easy money with today's knowledge. By the time we are back in 2012, i would leave my family quite a lot of $$$.

Gold Market.
Small Arms Market.
E Market.

Just those 3 = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Can't interact with family directly or indirectly...aw man...
And you are related to yourself. If you were cloned you'd be brothers right? :confused

This is hurting my brain. I would retire and donate my money to good causes. Attempting to prevent any murderers from going on killing sprees, (Columbine, etc.) would change the timeline too much.

Last edited:
And you are related to yourself. If you were cloned you'd be brothers right?

No. Being "related" is having a common connection to one source. If the past me and current me are same person, then we are NOT related, we ARE the source of common connection, just from two different time periods. Think of it like this: Loranne and George McFly were Marty's source. Marty is the relative. If Marty had interacted with himself in 1955 (ala BTTF2), then it is the same Marty, just from a different time period. Thus, it is the same person, just in two different times. Marty is not relative to Marty, he is the same person, two different timeframes.

So, no, you are not related to yourself, because you ARE yourself. If you were cloned, then the clone is related to yourself as you are the source from which he came from. But if you go into the past and interact with yourself, both of you ARE you, neither one is a copy or a separate person that has you common, because you are BOTH yourself.

No. Being "related" is having a common connection to one source. If the past me and current me are same person, then we are NOT related, we ARE the source of common connection, just from two different time periods.

The common connection could be the same parents.

For sake of clarity let's make the rule that you can't interact either directly or indirectly with either yourself or any relatives.

I'm sent back in 1947. Theirs a LOT of way to make VERY easy money with today's knowledge. By the time we are back in 2012, i would leave my family quite a lot of $$$.

Gold Market.
Small Arms Market.
E Market.

Just those 3 = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Visit roswell in july too :lol

The common connection could be the same parents.

For sake of clarity let's make the rule that you can't interact either directly or indirectly with either yourself or any relatives.

But if you're the one who is going back into the past and you interact with yourself, then your parents don't matter in the situation, because you and your past self are still the same person, the common source. Again, using Marty from BTTF2. If he interacted with himself in BTTF1, then it's still the same Marty from two different time frames. Heck, even Austin Powers presented this in The Spy Who Shagged Me with a post credits scene where Austin walks in on Felicity Shagwell bumping uglies, with his past self. And the past self states, "Technically, it's not cheating", which is true because BOTH Austins are the same person, from two different timeframes. You see what I'm saying.

But since you've now changed the rules, I'll leave the topic alone now (though it seems unfair, especially since the Doctor was able to use this tactic for his own personal advantage and no one seemed bothered by it).

But since you've now changed the rules, I'll leave the topic alone now (though it seems unfair, especially since the Doctor was able to use this tactic for his own personal advantage and no one seemed bothered by it).

I didn't change the rules, I just changed the wording of the rules to better reflect my intention. The idea is what would you do if you were trapped, never able to reverse what happened.

Your answer was very clever and smart, just not what I'm looking for in this one. ;)

I didn't change the rules, I just changed the wording of the rules to better reflect my intention. The idea is what would you do if you were trapped, never able to reverse what happened.

Your answer was very clever and smart, just not what I'm looking for in this one. ;)

Thanks. I tend to try to think outside the box sometimes, even if thinking outside the box tends to lead to disaster. :p

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back