Total Recall gun

Ki Djowac

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi y'all,

So, me and Jevaho went to the movie theatre some time ago to see Total Recall. There was Jessica Biel, Kate Beckingsale and ... ehm... euh ... lemme think... ;) Anyways, there were also some kickass guns which we liked. The idea started rolling to build one of them guns.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Total_Recall_(2012)

The first one that jumped was the modified Chiappa Rhino 50DS. This proved to be a too big a challenge for now. The other one that came to mind was the 'Jessica gun' which was basically a Beretta 90two with a custom compensator. After some research it turned out Umarex had one of these in a 4,5mm steel bb version. The idea to have a shooting Total Recall gun proved too much fun and so the Total Recall Beretta 90two gun prop came to life.

First point of business was to get a Umarex Beretta 90two 4,5mm steel bb gun which was easy enough. After that is was a matter of studying the print screens from the trailer and getting as much intel on this as possible. There wasn't much around except for the self made print screens and some documantary stuff on youtube. Some pics which i used to study the gun :

The base for this project :

After the Beretta was bought i spent about 1,5 week or so measuring and 3D modelling the compensator. It proved a bit of a challeng as the Beretta had moving parts (no blowback) and i wanted to keep it moving smooth with or without compensator.

What was done to the Umarex Beretta to make it a bit more accurate :
First the CO2 piercing screw was cut and made into a flathead screw. A very easy mod, if not the easiest i've ever done. Secondly, there were some 5,5mm holes drilled where the 2 set screws need to sit in to keep the compensator in place while firing. Also when aiming for screen accuracy the screws were probably there for that same reason. Determining where these holes needed to be made was done in a later stage of the build.

The 3D printed model came in friday and i noticed i was a bit off here and there. 1 mm in the wrong spot and things just don't fit anymore. After the first fit i spent about 10 hours over the next 2 days sanding and carefully dremelling the prototype model. Final result of all this sanding and dremelling :

Made 2 custom M5 steel set screws. These were made from standard cut down black steel bolts. Jevaho will bring his gun bleuing stuff over sometime to get hem black again. :thumbsup

The compensator model was tapped with an M5 threading bit and fitted onto the Beretta. At this point the place where the set screw holes in the Beretta needed to be drilled was determined also.

Next up is gun bleuing the set screws and looking for the right kind of black to spraypaint the model and i'm done. :)

If there's enough interest i might consider looking into a run, but this will take some time as this prototype needs to re-modelled to avoid some of the intensive sanding and dremmeling that was done here. After that it's back to ordering, fitting, possibly a third re-model, ordering and fitting, ... etc... etc... :cool

Small run going on over here :
http://www.therpf.com/f13/total-recall-compensator-167415/

Last edited:
That's a nice and simple mod! I don't mean simple as in easy to make, but it's easy to apply, just 1 piece, paint and done! Very cool.

wow very cool! I really didn't notice the Beretta in the movie but its a pretty cool gun. Nicely done.

outstanding job!! can't wait to see it painted up. would be in for one of those comps if you do a run.

Very cool. Have yet to see the movie though.

On a side note, you should also do parts to turn a Beretta M93R into an Auto 9!

Thx for the compliments everyone :) :thumbsup

At the moment i'm re-modelling the original design to get rid of some of the errors i made before to avoid 10 hours of dremmeling and sanding :lol

@ bad wolf : ok, i'll keep that in mind. As soon as we're through the testing and modelling stage, i'll look into a small run.

@ Robiwon : The Robocop gun ? Good idea but i'm up to my eyeballs in projects as is, but someday perhaps who knows. Never say never :cool

very nice! I haven't seen the new movie but really liked the original, I hope they didn't ruin it. I just got The Replicator 3D printer a few months ago and this looks like it would be a challenging build. :cool

Major update :

got the V2 prototype to a finished state just to see where the color scheme would take me and how the screws would look in the design. I tried a sidegloss black, but that was a bad call on my part. What you see is a flat black and compliments the gun alot better.

V2%2520finished.jpg

Some details :

V2%2520finished%2520details.jpg

It took me a couple of layers of flat black with the necessary sanding jobs of 600grid in between layers. The look of the screws was achieved by using gun bleuing techniques. Basically purchased a gun blueing kit on e-bay and blackened the screws with it.

set%2520screws.jpg

V2 had some issues so V4 was designed and printed. V2 needed a careful 10 hour dremmeling job to adjust weaver rail fit, barrel line-up, trigger guard fit, etc ...

Also screen accuracy came into play with V4 and i tried to achieve a more screen accurate corner cut on the front as well as a more accurate trigger guard connection. Lowered the bottom part a couple of mm's too. Pics below show what i mean :

V4%2520adjustments.jpg

After this was done, V4 was printed and we're almost there. I overdid the trigger guard adjustment in the design and it needs to sit a couple of mm's back towards the trigger guard. Need to try and maintain that straight corner cut that is seen in the print screen pics. Rest of it seems to be done at this point.

V4%2520prototype.jpg

V4%2520detailed%2520look.jpg

Test-fired it today with the V2 compensator in place. Emptied a full CO2 canister with bb's and it fires just as good as before. I was thinking that it may chip off some paint on the front, but nothing happened. It's safe to say the paint job is there to stay :)

HOLY SMOKES!!! outstanding work!! this is just way too cool!! looks amazing painted up! i've got a co2 90-two screamin' for this conversion lol
i look forward to seeing the next update.

Thx y'all:)
Hope to have the design adjusted and a completed (and final) V5 by mid next month :thumbsup

After this i'll check into doing a little run depending on interest.

V5 came in yesterday and i must say, we're there. I'll put pics up soon.:thumbsup

As we're nearing the completion of this compensator project, we're also got pricing in mind. I'll put up an interest thread in the appropriate section ,but we're looking at :

75 € + shipping for a pre-fitted, pre-sanded, pre-threaded + 2 blackened custom set screws.
120 € + shipping for a completely finished version which includes all of the above and 1 layer of primer followed with 3 layers of matt black.

I'll be doing a run of 10 maximum or less depending on interest.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back