Judge Dredd (2012) Shoulder Armor

Mexicutioner46

Hey guys,

Halloween is right around the corner and I've bee busting butt trying to get my Dredd costume together. I'm building the helmet from pepakura, along with the help I received from reading MrPinksi's helmet thread. However, I've been looking for how to make the new Dredd's shoulder armor. There are alot of the comic versions out there, but I want the new look of the Dredd armor. After scouring the internet, I pulled together some pictures of Dredd and came up with these shots of his right shoulder:

bduy9w.jpg

From these shots I threw this together real quick in Sketchbook Pro:

2qcj8fc.jpg

Now my question is: Can someone give me some ideas on how to make this into a shoulder. I'm relatively new to fabricating armor and such, so a link or some ideas that will point me in the right direction would be awesome! Don't exactly know how to port 3d images into pepakura, otherwise I would be able to just make this 3d and run it through there.

If you want to use this shoulder feel free to. I just threw it together real quick and look forward to any input.

I'll also be using this thread to show the rest of the pieces I've been making for my Dredd costume. While It wont be 100% accurate (hell more like 60% accurate) I hope to catch the feel of Dredd.

Last edited:
No expert here, but that looks like the pattern has to be cut into two sections. The bottom section just needs to bend into a cylinder shape, but the top section will curve both horizontally and vertically (if that makes sense).

This may sound dumb, but how about layers of craft foam? 3 or 4mm, sure, it'd be a bit of a chore to cut pieces out, but would keep the 'flatish' look and still be three dimensional.
Maybe use the tip of a hot glue gun (no glue) or soldering iron to carve in any extra details (feather lines, etc).

Seal with plasti-dip, or however soft armour pieces are finished.

Looks doable that way.
C.

Coz, That doesn't sound dumb at all. Minus the hot glue gun was thinking the same thought about the foam.

Mexicutioner46, Thanks for doing the hard work on Eagle drawing.

Thanks guys! Actually, foam sounds like a great idea. Sounds simple enough and gives the depth yet still flat. I'll look into some tutorials on foam armor. Once I get to building it, I'll link some pics as well.

Nice link MrPinski. Just got done with bondo'in up the helmet, will be starting the shoulder soon with the template I drew up. Also got the dredd badge from comicon, so costume is coming together. I'll throw some pics up as things progress.

Helmet: Couple more sessions of sanding and filling.

2ahcmpu.jpg

Last edited:
haha! Indeed you are! That thread is the main inspiration for my starting this project! Quick question, the border trim of the helmet that is raised, is that foam paper?

Here's a quick shot of the template I made, shaped into shoulder piece:

2woaff8.jpg

Last edited:
I used that same pep you're using for the main shape, but the cheek area was extended forward on mine and the cross was modded too. The trim I made is from foam but was a pain to seal and it's something I'm not using in the future...

Ok, I was thinking it was foam. Unfortunately, I did not have the peice of paper in the face area, so it will be hard for me to modify the cheeks and cross. Trying to think how I can rig it. Did you seal it with glue/water mix, or use something else?

Here's an update on my progress. I had to tweak the upper half of the original eagle that I drew. Just layers of foam so far. Seal and paint will start this week.

s1iw4w.jpg

and

333xw6r.jpg

i've been hand drawing a design before I saw this. Yours has a lot of nice straight lines :)

Mind if I mash our designs together at all?

Thanks guys, priming and painting today, so will be throwing up pics in the next couple of days. Feel free to use the drawing, but I did have to re-proportion the top of the shoulders, the upper wings. I had to do a vertical stretch to make it look more as it should.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back