Who is darth Vader to YOU? Jones, Prowse, Christensen?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think most of us can rule out Christensen :lol
But I'm curious, who was Vader to YOU? Was it more important to be the man in the suit or the voice of the character?

I know Prowse signs everything "David Prowse IS Darth Vader" :rolleyes which always makes me laugh. I'm of the opinion that they could have gotten ANYBODY with a similar build (heck, get close, we'll fill out the rest with padding!) to walk around and point. I don't see that as any form of serious acting.
James Earl Jones on the other hand, his voice brought Vader to life. Not something anybody can do.
However, not everybody thinks as I do.
What say you? Could Star Wars have the same impact if they had to replace Prowse or Jones before production?

I say Jones. the voice offers personality and depth. Prowse got replaced by stunt doubles during fight scenes.

jones ......when i was a kid, i didnt know their was a different actor in the suit....

i wonder what people think about boba fett.....didnt the actor who played Dack Ralter played Boba fett in the main scenes?

Lets not forget Ralph Mcquarrie and Brian Muir.

:lol I think you're missing the point, bro. Granted, McQarrie and Muir certainly had a hand in the making of Vader but I think we're shootin' more for the physical acting aspect.

Without a doubt it is Jones, and I too laugh whenever Prowse autographs something with that lame signature. I remember a while back when Dark Helmet had a similar thread, and I think I stated something along the lines of you could have put a trained space monkey in that suit. It was always the voice along with the costume. The actor inside, really did not matter, as the great Oz would say, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, or in this case...the mask.

I'm gonna buck the trend....while I agree that JEJ plays a large role since his voice IS Vader, I will also say that Prowse's stature as well as the way he carried himself, his walk/gait, posture all greatly contributed to the look of Vader in costume. Yeah, any big guy can fill the suit, but I believe Prowse brought a certain physical attitude to the character which could be attributable to his bodybuilding/training.

Jones. No doubt. For all the other voice actors that have done "the Voice" in games and such, you always know Jones when you hear him.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back