TMNT Shredder Helmet, Duck Tape and Cardboard. UPDATE 11/2/12

Re: TMNT Shredder Helmet, Duck Tape and Cardboard.

What was it that you used to get that texture for the helmet. This is looking great by the way.

What was it that you used to get that texture for the helmet. This is looking great by the way.

Its non skid shelf paper from the dollar store, same thing I used for the mesh in
the face mask. On the helmet its just stamped into the material.

47122_540189759339786_1491715784_n.jpg

261895_540189792673116_1715763525_n.jpg

486837_540189802673115_209198942_n.jpg

581481_540189526006476_445947135_n.jpg

255501_540189572673138_1654195638_n.jpg

"Think I'm gonna re do the blades.. I'll be glassing today so I hope someone can jump in with a tip or two for me. I plan on spray gluing fiberglass matting to the duct/duck tape and just trying to make what I have solid."

Just discovered this site today, all I can say is........amazing!!

I'm gonna try and pull this off for Halloween. Do you have the template you used for your helmet and blade design? I think it looks perfect the way it is!!

Also, your profile picture kicks ass!

"Think I'm gonna re do the blades.. I'll be glassing today so I hope someone can jump in with a tip or two for me. I plan on spray gluing fiberglass matting to the duct/duck tape and just trying to make what I have solid."

Just discovered this site today, all I can say is........amazing!!

I'm gonna try and pull this off for Halloween. Do you have the template you used for your helmet and blade design? I think it looks perfect the way it is!!

Also, your profile picture kicks ass!

No template.. Just cut out everything and test fit as I went. Had no idea what I was doing at all.

and thanks! :)

Okay, I just ran out to the store to get some supplies. Got a few more questions for ya. Oh, and btw, I'm using a hockey helmet and building on to it with cardboard and gonna use fiberglass matting/body filler. Seems easier as I've never paper machied before.

(1) Any tips for using the body filler after you put the fiberglass matting down? The blade that goes around the helmet looks amazing and I kinda wanted to duplicate that look.

(2) What sort of paint did you use on the blade? If you have the specific brand name thats even better. That shade of silver is exactly how I want mine to look.

(3) For the armour that goes on his shins/forearms, how did you make the spikes that go on that? I've got a few idea's but wanted to hear how you did it.

I'll post pictures once I get some progress made. Hopefully by end of today

Thanks

Okay, I just ran out to the store to get some supplies. Got a few more questions for ya. Oh, and btw, I'm using a hockey helmet and building on to it with cardboard and gonna use fiberglass matting/body filler. Seems easier as I've never paper machied before.

(1) Any tips for using the body filler after you put the fiberglass matting down? The blade that goes around the helmet looks amazing and I kinda wanted to duplicate that look.

(2) What sort of paint did you use on the blade? If you have the specific brand name thats even better. That shade of silver is exactly how I want mine to look.

(3) For the armour that goes on his shins/forearms, how did you make the spikes that go on that? I've got a few idea's but wanted to hear how you did it.

I'll post pictures once I get some progress made. Hopefully by end of today

Thanks

I just saw this, its 3am and I have to get up early. I promise I will answer all your questions tomorrow when I have a clear mind.

thank you for all of the compliments and I will do as much as I can to help you.

Here's what i got so far. (see attachments) Definitely needs some fine tuning to make the edges/lines smoother but its a start. Hopefully paper mache the blade and helmet today and start on the fiberglassing of the blade tomorrow. Didn't realize how much glue paper maching takes, haha. Any tips on the fiberglassing/body filler that you have would be much appreciated as you mentioned you've used it a lot and this will be my first attempt.

:darnkids

YEah, I wanted to use the pep files. But I couldn't find a free version that was compatible with my mac. Since Halloween is so close I figured I'd look into it more for future costumes but go with your method for now.

Anyway you remember what type of paint you used on yours? I think it looks pretty good with that colour and wouldn't mind using the same.

How did you make out with the other parts of your costume? I've got a pretty good idea of how I'm going to make his armour on his shins, forearms, etc.

Use spray glue to hold your your fiberglass mat to the helmet/cardboard. Sand any plastic with 80 grit paper that the fiberglass will overlap.

Fiberglass mat will sag if you try to fiberglass something upside down so it can only be draped over top or down the sides.

I wish I could describe my methods more but I'm very new to prop making.

The silver I used is engine enamel spray paint, I'll post a pic tomorrow. I aged it with black paint though.

Awesome, thanks man. Just to clarify, on the helmet portion after you spray glued the fiberglass matting on, you proceeded to spray glue the non skid shelf paper to give it that texture I see in your pics.

And I appreciate the help, if mine turns out close to as good as yours I'll be stoked!

Awesome, thanks man. Just to clarify, on the helmet portion after you spray glued the fiberglass matting on, you proceeded to spray glue the non skid shelf paper to give it that texture I see in your pics.

And I appreciate the help, if mine turns out close to as good as yours I'll be stoked!

The skid paper was a disaster, I wouldn't recommend it. I would try something else.. I know the next one I do will be much different.

Right on, I kinda like the texture that the shelf paper gave it. I was thinking about spray painting it silver (same colour as the blade) instead of brown like you did. Though, hearing this perhaps I won't now.

Maybe I'll put that body filler material on it and sand it down to give the helmet a similar look as your blade instead. Do you think that would be a better alternative? Btw, I'm not going for movie perfect here...........

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back