Soul Calibur III Aeon Calcos/Lizardman

Alpha Proto

Sr Member
Details on the build along with work in progress pictures can be found here.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/alpha-pro...entry-lizardman-aeon-calcos-pic-heavy-164124/
Or my original build thread here.
http://www.forum.soaringhammer.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1133

Found a video of me on stage!
Akon 23 Cosplay Contest pt 1 - YouTube
A-kon 2012 - Video Game Cosplay Contest - YouTube
A-Kon 23 2012 Cosplay and Interviews - YouTube

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, everyone. I am new to the board , but have visited it frequently over the years for tips and inspiration. After seeing so many great costumes I went ahead and made my own.
I have always wanted to make a Ninja Turtle costume, but felt that since it had already been done so well that I should start off in uncharted territory.

I frequent another costume and props board that features a lot of armor builds. I felt pretty out of place seeing all those armors and not having one of my own. So I took it appone myself to combine my love of creature costumes, and my new found apriciation for armor and combo them.

So I chose to make a costume of Soul Calibur III's Aeon Calcos/ Lizardman.
lizard-soul3art.jpg

lizardarts.jpg

I choose that version of the character, because of the feathers. The feathers would add movement to the costume, and would hide my face. ^_^

Not settling for making things easy on myself I decided I would add a working jaw feature costume. I rarely saw that and though it would be a head turner.
I knew that for Sesame Street's Big Bird, and the bear from Bear in the Big Blue house the puppeter's in the costumes would use their right arm to puppet the head, and have a fake arm for the costume.
lizardmanconcept.jpg

So I decided on using that tech. I worked on how I was going to get the eyes to move with the same hand I was working the mouth with and it was such a challenge. When I had all the mechs in the head and the eyes wouldn't move with the touch of a finger I panicked for a good hour trying to make it work. I figured out that since the rig was what I was holding the eyes where pushing against the top of the head. After some adjusting I was elated to get everything working!

After thinking it over I figured I could add moving eyes to the costume. Knowing I did not want to learn electronics I figured that I would use the same method ventriloquist use to puppet their dummie's eyes. So I googled how the mechanics in dummies heads worked, and rebuilt it out of wood, and scraps screws, and foam spears.

For the body suit, I read some info on the hunter's layer predator board on how they make their costumes. They had this method they used a Mr. Incredible costumes for that involved covering the costume in liquid latex, and adding more muscles with cotton. I didn't like the results the Mr. I costume's bad anatomy, and loose build offered so I kept searching.

I found a method that I found satisfactory from Indy Mogol's back yard FX on how to make muscle costumes. I combined the info from both and sculpted my muscles from upholstery foam. I then burned the scales into the foam using a hot knife. Next I attached them to a zentai with spray glue, then I added liquid latex to the foam. To finish I used latex soaked cotton to bridge the seams where the foam meet.

Using some methods I used from Steve Wang's Stanwinston school dvd on air brushing latex monsters I then started painting my costume.

For the armor I used EVA foam. I saw so many people using it for Iron Man armor, and the hero tutorials on youtube had so many videos on how to use the stuff it was an easy choice.

I had sculpted the upper head with clean clay, molded it in smooth-on's rebound, and casted it in smooth cast. After running out of all that stuff I didnt want to wait for another batch of it in the mail. EVA foam was so handy I decided to use it for the bottom jaw of my puppet head to save me money on resources.

The teeth were all sculpted , and baked super sculpey.

I had a tongue sculpted made from a yellow mold rubber putty. That I added paint to change the color. When I had the tongue shape I pressed it against a beach towel for texture, and folded it in half.

So enough chatter, here are some pictures of the costume. I am happy to share any information you like about how the costume was made. Knowledge is power, and I am not power hungry.:lol

photobyAwetNegash.jpg

picturebyPaigeCaylor.jpg

picture2bySandiDreer.jpg

picture1bySandiDreer.jpg

picture2byOverbeck.jpg

picture1byOverbeck.jpg

PhotobyDallasObserversCatherineDownes.jpg

Picture2byDerikBrown.jpg

PicturebyDerikBrown.jpg

PicturebyDianeHua.jpg

PicturebyEricOlivares.jpg

PicturebyJocelynEspinoza.jpg

picturesformsamaze1.jpg

picturefromsamaze2.jpg

picturefromsamaze3.jpg

185134_10150975727321649_1909454426_n.jpg

524943_10150975727401649_1148804646_n.jpg

Picturebygescht2.jpg

_a_kon_23__lizardman_by_caninehybrid-d52k4nz.jpg

lizardmanphotoByRileyCarbaugh.jpg

lizardmanphotobyakonheroes.jpg

a_kon_23_cosplay_contest___127_by_filmshooter-d54powt.jpg

a_kon_23_cosplay_contest___126_by_filmshooter-d54pp00.jpg

a_kon_23_cosplay_contest___125_by_filmshooter-d54pp2y.jpg

a_kon_23_cosplay_contest___160_by_filmshooter-d54pllk.jpg

a_kon_23_cosplay_contest___161_by_filmshooter-d54pli3.jpg

lizardmanphotobyakonheroes3.jpg

a_kon_23_cosplay_contest___128_by_filmshooter-d54pot1.jpg

Last edited:
That is absolutely amazing!!! There is some major skill in that suit. I am quite envious.
Thank you. This was my first time trying something like this, and I am happy everything went close to how I planned. With the right tools, and planning I am sure you could make one.
unbelievably awesome work man. Now just put a set of wings on him and your also a Draconian!

Now that you mention it, in later games Aeon does sprout big feathered wings for some attacks. I think they would look great,but it would create some problems.

I would have to figure out how to attach the wings. Another factor is how heavy they would be. I thought heat would be a factor in how long I wore this 50+ pounds latex costume. In the end it was all the weight on my legs, and feet for so long that was the biggest discomfort.

A great suggestion, and now I am considering it.

Last edited:
Wow. Seriously, wow. I love Soul Caliber and it's so exciting to see people doing characters you don't see as often. You knocked this one out of the ballpark. I know that BelleCher(on Facebook, not sure if that's her name here) does an amazing Ivy - You two need to meet up for photos!

Wow. Seriously, wow. I love Soul Caliber and it's so exciting to see people doing characters you don't see as often. You knocked this one out of the ballpark. I know that BelleCher(on Facebook, not sure if that's her name here) does an amazing Ivy - You two need to meet up for photos!
WoW! That would be amazing! Just meeting her would..:behaveYes, I would like that very much.
Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited:
What an Awesome build! I too am a Soul Calibur fan and was excited to see your costume. Great job, thank you for all the great pics too. I hope I get to see your costume in person someday.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back