Iron Man MK VI Halloween Foam Build (WIP, pic heavy) Updated 10/9/12!

sn4kech4rmer

Hey guys, been lurking for a while, finally decided to register and post my costume build. :) I've been using the patterns from Stealth's thread, which have worked extremely well, and have been watching his tutorials on YouTube. First time building foam armor, by the way...I made a cardboard G1 Optimus Prime costume a couple years back that won the contest by a landslide.

I've got 3 thicknesses of foam to work with; 3mm, 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Looking at doing the helmet in 3mm, chest and back in 1/2 inch, then the rest in 1/4. So far, I've gotten the arms(mostly) done, and the boots. I've also got a prototype helmet.

I'll be lighting the eyes and chest for sure, and maybe motorizing the faceplate...but that's a pretty big maybe. I have to have this done by the 13th for a halloween dance.

2012-09-25212001-1.jpg

Scaled down arm that was too small :(

Scrapped boots:
2012-09-25212044.jpg

Looking forward to finishing this(but not possibly restarting lol), because I know it's going to be a huge hit if I do it right. Any input is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: I have decided to rebuild the arms and boots, but not till I've finished everything else. The default scale does, in fact, fit just fine for my size.

I bought my servos today(a pair of Hi-tec HS-65MGs), and the LEDs should be here Weds or Thurs.

Here's a quick picture of everything I have done...well, mostly. Currently working on the abs and working my way down.
2012-10-02011505.jpg

Chest and Backplates:
2012-09-29024112.jpg

2012-10-02015902.jpg

Btw, if anyone has any faceplate hinge designs they wouldn't mind sharing, I would be eternally grateful. I've looked around and seen a few that I liked, and I've PM'd a couple people to see if they could clarify what they did. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

Until next time!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man MK VI Halloween Foam Build (WIP,

Shameful self bump because I thought editing my post to update progress would bump it... I've brought dishonor to my family.

Hey man, sharp work.... I have a question, you say you are using different sizes of foam, but all the pics look like the same thickness...? I am addicted to 3mm and 6mm foam. I started with half inch (very similar to what I see in your build) and found it was not as fun as 3 and 6mm.

Maybe your foam is different, but I assumed the "diamond plate" backed foam was all the same size.

Also, I am 6'2' 220lbs, and the default scale has been working well for me too, except for the shins (had to extend them almost 4 inches!). What size are you?

Hey man, sharp work.... I have a question, you say you are using different sizes of foam, but all the pics look like the same thickness...? I am addicted to 3mm and 6mm foam. I started with half inch (very similar to what I see in your build) and found it was not as fun as 3 and 6mm.

Maybe your foam is different, but I assumed the "diamond plate" backed foam was all the same size.

Also, I am 6'2' 220lbs, and the default scale has been working well for me too, except for the shins (had to extend them almost 4 inches!). What size are you?

Thanks for the compliment!

Well, to be honest, I started with half inch because that was all I could find. I managed to find a roll of 1/4 inch at Academy Sports and Outdoors, so I'll be using that for probably the rest of the build. I agree though, 1/4 inch is much more fun to work with.

I did manage to work the 1/2 inch into those front panels of the chest plate though, and the outer part of the abs(the pieces on the table, except for the ones in between). I might put it in the soles of the boots once I get back down to that point too.

I'm about 5' 10", 160lbs... so the fact that you had to extend your shins 4 inches bodes well for my build. I'm really not sure I have any more time for modding the patterns, haha.

I just had an idea though....for the helmet, I'm thinking about building the main part in 1/4 inch to make it sturdier, then details and faceplate in the 3mm. Or would it just be easier to do it all in 3mm?

Here's a quick update to my build... it's crunch time! Got 3 and a half days to finish this thing!
2012-10-09203750.jpg

Just finished the other thigh about 5 mins ago. I'm excited about how they clean they turned out.

Finished Arc Reactor:
2012-10-03223853.jpg

All my finished parts so far:
2012-10-09203712.jpg

I'm gonna be working like a madman to build the shins tonight. Looking to build the arms tomorrow, then finish my new helmet Thursday. Then comes the plastidip and paint, and finally the electronics installation. Wish me luck!

My next update will probably be the finished suit before paint and such if time permits, otherwise it'll probably be the suit completely done. Wish me luck!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back