Foam core board

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey gang,

I'm looking to mount my LOTR map. Since I have to make a custom frame anyway, I figured I might as well go all out.

So, I need to get a piece of foam core board approximately 40"x36" (or 2 pieces that would give me those dimensions). A single piece would be optimal, 2 pieces would need a cardboard backer. I'm thinking of getting black felt to go over the foam board and then using using crown moulding to make the frame. Since the moulding usually comes in natural, I can paint and stain anyway I see fit.

So, before I go driving all around my town, does anyone know for sure if any of the large chain stores carry this stuff as normal stock (k-mart, michael's, joanne's, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Nov 16 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]1358894[/snapback]</div>
Hey gang,

I'm looking to mount my LOTR map. Since I have to make a custom frame anyway, I figured I might as well go all out.

So, I need to get a piece of foam core board approximately 40"x36" (or 2 pieces that would give me those dimensions). A single piece would be optimal, 2 pieces would need a cardboard backer. I'm thinking of getting black felt to go over the foam board and then using using crown moulding to make the frame. Since the moulding usually comes in natural, I can paint and stain anyway I see fit.

So, before I go driving all around my town, does anyone know for sure if any of the large chain stores carry this stuff as normal stock (k-mart, michael's, joanne's, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
Fred
[/b]

I assume you mean the foam stuff sandwiched netween layers of card stock. I know Michael's carries it, but I don't think I've ever seen it in sheets as big as what you're looking for.

Fred have you thought about the foam insulation board they sell at home builder supply they come in 4 ft by 8 ft sheets, might be what your looking for to complete your project

They generally dont sell foamcore that big in consumer stores, just call a local sign shop, or Fast Signs, they have them readily available as they usually get them in 4'x8' sheets.

Foamcore can be bought at Staples, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Michael's and other Art Supply stores.

I do suggest that you shop around for the lowest price since some places are very expensive, and if you buy a lot of it, the cost does really add up. :)

Thanks for the replies, gang.

I'll give the michael's and kmart a check first, if not, home depot then the sign guys.

-Fred

And remember, Michael's almost always has a 40% one item coupon in their weekly ads. Coupons come to me on Saturday, and are good Sunday through Sturday.

You local blueprint/copier should carry the sizes up to what you need. Maybe not a Kinkos type but someone who specializes in Construction Drawing Copying.

Try a FedEx Kinko's location, they dont like to sell it to consumers but they usually will anyway and you can usually get them in pretty large sizes (24x36, 36x48) the cost is about $5 per square foot...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back