DREDD 2012 - Lawgiver MK2 Aluminium and printed parts

Re: DREDD 2012 - Lawgiver MK2 Aluminium and printed parts (maybe)

striker01 thanks for the info. Makes sense.

I'm so stoked about this. Its gonna be great.
Count me in!
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: DREDD 2012 - Lawgiver MK2 Aluminium and printed parts (maybe)

Hey Andyface, looks fantastic. Great work. Good chunk of progress.
These things always take longer than expected, but the end result looks worth it.

You'll have to let us know when these are available to order, Cheers and thanks

Massive thanks :) will let you all know when these become available once I've had a successful set of parts through. Next batch due tomorrow... Improved mag, front lower housing that the mag slots into and the sight parts all on the way.

In the meantime here's a pic of another part I decided to get printed too. It's modelled off ref pics of the ammo changing mechanism they built a prototype of but never got round to using in the movie. Will simply glue into place inside the mag... More pics tomorrow :)

ammoinsert_zps63ce4d4d.png

Tips:

1. The black dyed nylon isn't cost-effective to use. The dye is not very deep and doesn't work as a primer anyway.
2. PL2000 (as it's really called) doesn't sand well. Sandpaper just "tears" the surface. You need to hit it with some heavy coats of SPRAY FILLER primer until it covers the grain, then sand. For this reason you need larger tolerances when making parts that are supposed to be assembled.

Cheers Joe :) next on the to do list when I finish the latest badge run is some paint testing on the parts I've got so far. The bits I have are a lot less grainy than I expected so I'm hoping that by giving a few good coats of filler primer, coat of silver and a couple coats of black I may even be able to circumvent the sanding stage but I'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed... I'll post up pics of the results (if it works that is) ;)

What are the odds of something like this working on an actual Glock? Would it be able to withstand the recoil?

I know next to nothing about real firearms, but provided you can find a good way of attaching the pieces, I would wager that the printed nylon will hold. The stuff is damn near bullet proof if printed correctly.

Material wise as Joe says it'll be tough but with the design of the housings etc I'm using I would be concerned about the front blowing up. Where the glock barrel sits would be inside a thin aluminium frame with printed detail sections meaning all the heat and rapidly expanding gas inside the body of the current design would likely blow it to bits. In theory if you can find a suitable way to extend the glock barrel out to inside the front end of the fake barrel it might hold up though ;)

Andy! that ammo mech is a genius touch! good work sir! I planned to have the cog in mine (if it ever got finished) as everybody seemed to ignore it's existence

Nice one :) thanks very much. After seeing the pics of the mechanism it was nice and easy to replicate the ammo and cog, I took some liberties with the frames as the ones in the photos as you've seen were very basic so I tarted them up a bit lol. How is your lawgiver build going? Last I saw you were looking into getting some casts done, is that still on the cards?

Had a new package today with more prints, Loving them so far. Got a stack of new photos so here we go...

The sights...

A83-1581CA55E1ED-2786-000005C8CC2F7C4B_zps6cc9fe2f.jpg

The beefed up mag with the now working clip...

0EB-8F711D492DDA-2786-000005C8FA1DA3D8_zps257bf824.jpg

Mag well...

3BE-AB05A90C7F3F-2786-000005C9010B3877_zpsd647f643.jpg

B58-CE8FD4CECF2A-2786-000005C9065C5AAD_zps3519b55f.jpg

Both together...

D5B-D1674E3548FE-2786-000005C90D0EB852_zps514c2596.jpg

765-7E8E0343C328-2786-000005C913C85D00_zpsa069c856.jpg

1EB-B7D70BE1AE59-2786-000005C937B47E92_zps57557c83.jpg

FE0-F8D4ADD6F73A-2786-000005C9190121BC_zpsc489cd1d.jpg

And finally the only thing I'm disappointed with, although the clip works perfectly I need to tweak the front of the mag/mag well so it locks in solidly. Thinking up a solution to that one right now...

B6C-466A0F6B8358-2786-000005C93D244E8D_zpsc2c2605c.jpg

Having built the first ( Stallone) lawgiver round an airsoft and added Plecter Labs sound kit , I an anxious to try to do the same with this version, I have had some success in doing this before with a number of Airsofts and particularly for those that know me the Blade Runner Blaster, I am very interested in this and if you do produce kit, put me down for the first one and I'll do a complete photobuild on the conversion. Keep up the fantastic work !!

Material wise as Joe says it'll be tough but with the design of the housings etc I'm using I would be concerned about the front blowing up. Where the glock barrel sits would be inside a thin aluminium frame with printed detail sections meaning all the heat and rapidly expanding gas inside the body of the current design would likely blow it to bits. In theory if you can find a suitable way to extend the glock barrel out to inside the front end of the fake barrel it might hold up though ;)
If you have a bunch of money, and know a good gunsmith, he can probably modify the gun barrel. You could fit a barrel extension by threading the existing barrel end the way they do to adapt silencers that thread on to the end. Instead of the silencer, another cut off Glock barrel mated to the end might work. You would have to overcome an issue. The rifling on the ad on would have to match the existing barrel rifling. or you could possibly attach a bored out barrel with no rifling at all. The barrel extension would also likely need to be welded. That would probably result in lousy ballistic accuracy though without matched rifling, and would probably make for a wobble to the bullet An unknown is weather the auto cycling for the reload function would be affected. Two other possibilities would be to locate the armorer for the film....he's done this all before; don't know if he'd share his methods. Contact Glock and see if they sold the film makers an extended barrel assembly and if so, would they do so again to you. That could get tricky as they may have done the actual work on the movie version since they would want to fit up and try any modification to their gun, for safety reasons. Heck, they may even have retained ownership of the modified Glocks. That would be interesting but hardly useful for our purposes. In any case, a gunsmith's cooperation would cost dearly....not for the financially faint of heart.I would suspect that the movie gun fired only blanks. That can be done with a real Glock but has the added caution that if the gun was not designed as a BLANK FIRING ONLY GUN, it is too easy to confuse what is loaded and it will not generally cycle the blanks without a plastic barrel block to retain more gas for the recycle/auto reload function. If you can afford it, the best option would be to have a gunsmith ( not the run of the mill guy) machine a complete new barrel and receiver assembly in 8mm blank configuration. He'll also possibly need to replace a spring or two, as well. Discouraged yet? If not, check the movie credits to see who the armorer for some of your favorite films was, and see who they use for modifying movie guns. Anything is doable for a price. If you are in the USA you also have to be careful to stay within the limits of ATF rules. Most modifications of this type are okay especially if it is a currently permitted gun and you modify it to only accept blanks. By the way, you also need a specially made magazine to reliably load 8mm blanks. Just stuffing them into a 9mm mag won't likely work. I know that there are many gunsmiths here in the USA that will build all manner of Frankenguns. Sorry for hijacking your thread Andyface, I admire your diligence on this project, it is looking awesome. I myself would never consider modifying a real gun simply because, for cosplay purposes, it is worthless. Even here you could never bring one to a convention, let alone demonstrate it! Any one who has one of those blank, full auto firing Glocks I've seen could let us know if that might work. Most blank firing guns don't have an open barrel end to create the gas pressure issue. That won't satisfy the hardcore types that want bullets flying.

Nice one :) thanks very much. After seeing the pics of the mechanism it was nice and easy to replicate the ammo and cog, I took some liberties with the frames as the ones in the photos as you've seen were very basic so I tarted them up a bit lol. How is your lawgiver build going? Last I saw you were looking into getting some casts done, is that still on the cards?

Had a new package today with more prints, Loving them so far. Got a stack of new photos so here we go...

The sights...

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/6F5DAB98-BB5D-42DA-AA83-1581CA55E1ED-2786-000005C8CC2F7C4B_zps6cc9fe2f.jpg[/URL]

The beefed up mag with the now working clip...

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/5C2E515F-D871-4A58-90EB-8F711D492DDA-2786-000005C8FA1DA3D8_zps257bf824.jpg[/URL]

Mag well...

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/531DF29A-B484-463C-B3BE-AB05A90C7F3F-2786-000005C9010B3877_zpsd647f643.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/5F748799-39F3-4E2B-8B58-CE8FD4CECF2A-2786-000005C9065C5AAD_zps3519b55f.jpg[/URL]

Both together...

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/721B991E-3741-4B4C-BD5B-D1674E3548FE-2786-000005C90D0EB852_zps514c2596.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/B85A8E83-6FF3-4589-9765-7E8E0343C328-2786-000005C913C85D00_zpsa069c856.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/D111EC4E-196A-4A1C-91EB-B7D70BE1AE59-2786-000005C937B47E92_zps57557c83.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/37291A17-6E5E-4240-8FE0-F8D4ADD6F73A-2786-000005C9190121BC_zpsc489cd1d.jpg[/URL]

And finally the only thing I'm disappointed with, although the clip works perfectly I need to tweak the front of the mag/mag well so it locks in solidly. Thinking up a solution to that one right now...

[url]http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x441/andycooper82/E3EA1C6A-37AC-4248-8B6C-466A0F6B8358-2786-000005C93D244E8D_zpsc2c2605c.jpg[/URL]

Don't know if this would work, or help in your situation, but my Joe/Morgan 13 Lawgiver I modified with two rare earth magnets opposing each other. One in the mag, the other in the frame. Works great. It won't drop away like a real mag but easily releases with a tug.

Don't know if this would work, or help in your situation, but my Joe/Morgan 13 Lawgiver I modified with two rare earth magnets opposing each other. One in the mag, the other in the frame. Works great. It won't drop away like a real mag but easily releases with a tug.

My master copy is assembled the exact same way.

In reality, you would need to redesign the whole gun to accept 2 magazines and still has the capability to fire ammo using the same barrel...
There are a couple of issues which needs to be considered ... first issue would be barrel to have the capability to accept ammo from the front and back magazines. The second issue would be the firing pin for the front magazine since its way too far, unless there's a separate firing pin that would engage when the front magazine will be used. Another option would be to have 2 barrels for each magazine to solve all problems with the barrel and firing pin... same concept as M4 and shotgun combination but activated only by main trigger and voice command...

m26-modular-shotgun1.jpg

My 2 cents... :)

It is possible to fit shells on to Airsoft and Plug fire-cap guns ,I have done so several times in the past and am still currently doing it. so I don't think ther would be any real problems in doing it, much as the propsmasters and gunsmith's did it for the film , I wouldn't like to try this with a real firearm, mainly because ,as others have said, the pressure buildup, but an air soft and Plug fire-cap guns, are completely different so I hope to prove this a success ,just waiting for a really good set of shells.

Whoa....I wasn't talking about firing from BOTH magazines. That is a whole different kettle of fish made in dreamland....even the movie prop didn't do that. Are we also talking incendiary rounds and high explosive ? I don't think that is remotely doable since the added magazine is behind the receiver. If we are talking just adding the assembly to fire an existing Glock, I think that has been done with the movie gun, so it is possible. I did find a local source for a Glock 17 "extended barrel "with threaded end measuring 5.19 inches. that is probably a little less than an inch longer. It sells for $179.00 and requires no gunsmith, just drop it into the gun, replacing the existing. A machined extension to screw on the end like you would with a muzzel brake, would bring the barrel to a point beyond the shroud. A little more searching might even find an existing screw on application to avoid custom manufacture. At worst, you probably would spend $400 to modify the Glock, although it would be a waste of cash for me. since I own a Glock 23 and would have to buy a 17.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back