Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Daedric Dagger(based on zbrush model)

Vsions

Hi folks, Im new to this site and new to prop making as well. Ive always been inspired by alot of the awesome stuff I see model makers create and finally decided to give it a shot. I recently bought a mill and decided to mill out a life size Daedric dagger out of Skyrim using a zbrush model. After I finished milling out the two halfs I created the molds and jacket molds with the help of my friend and fellow model maker Josh Jay to teach me how, and cast a couple of pieces which I then put together. Its still wip but Im getting closer. Here are som pics of my progress.

In game Model
387000_507290242621671_1471853422_n.jpg

Actual Zbrush 3d model
404132_529406397076722_183650212_n.jpg

Mill at work. Due to the dagger being larger than the mills work area, I ended having to carefully mill out each master in three parts.
396057_507244335959595_1661165321_n.jpg

Rubber mold in Jacket Mold
561812_529382087079153_1708828496_n.jpg

The milled out wood masters
561106_507244372626258_936952891_n.jpg

Metal spine I file to be used for added weight and rigidity
394208_529381947079167_609319890_n.jpg

Spine inside of resin
314198_529381963745832_391315382_n.jpg

Resin in the mold
404631_529381747079187_1493070484_n.jpg

A couple of casted halfs
578602_529381790412516_152854043_n.jpg

The two halfs glued together
550948_529382010412494_1799537086_n.jpg

376487_529382057079156_977607142_n.jpg

I hope you guys like it and I will be posting more pics soon of the rest of my progress as I move forward. I am definitely a newb, so any feedback/pointers are greatly appreciated as I get more into this hobby. Thanks for looking :)

Updated pic 9/23/12. Glued, sanded, primed:
IMG_2720_zps89cb9973.jpg

Last edited:
First, welcome to the RPF ! second, WOW ! Way to start off with your first project post ! You have done a superb job so far! Looking really good !

Nice job! I have a few questions if you dont mind. What tooling did you use, what wood is that and what was the total machine time? :)

I'd love to try something like this on the CNC when the new breakout board arrives.

Holy crap that is awesome!!!!!!

I love the detail work, and I am still frankly stunned you could get that amount of detail out of wood.

Seconding the "You need to make these in metal" as well.

You gonna try the other knives in the game? Dragonbone, glass, etc?

Can't really give you any pointers on this, you knocked it outta the park. Can't wait to see one of them painted up!

Chris

WOW! I also am amazed at the detail in that wood. While I really dislike all of the Daedric stuff (looks like it was designed by a heavy metal teenager) You did a really fantastic job on recreating it.

Thanks guys I really appreciate that! I would love to cast it out of metal but thought that would cost too much money. If you guys have any places you would recommend though I would certainly love to look into it.

@Philly- Thank you, I used a 3/16ths end mild for the roughing and a 1/32 ball end for the fine pass. It took a few attempts before I fount the ideal settings but I found that in the fine pass I got great detailed results from setting the steps between paths to .0035. This took a bit longer but I got the best results. Total machine time per section was about 7 hours but I probably could have done it faster. I went slower though because I didnt want to break the small bits(which I did anyway). So since I did 3 sections for each half it totaled about 21 hours. I also started with a planed pine from home depot which gave me decent results but ended up using hard maple which was definitely superior.

@Hydin- Thanks dude! I probably wont be doing any other ones... well maybe the daedric bow or greatsword. I am going to try making some robot armor and parts for my rc mech next.

@xdmray- Thank you :) Its funny you should say that because um.. Im the guy that made all the Daedric stuff for the game. Its all good, It was meant to be a bit over the top. I already knew that some people would love it and some people wouldnt. But I really appreciate the positive feedback on the prop :)

Thanks for the reply Vsions. When you say steps between paths, is that the stepover? I've just worked out what 1/32 is, 0.8mm is small! I don't think I've seen bits that small around here!

I think I might start with a less detailed model ;)

Thanks for the reply Vsions. When you say steps between paths, is that the stepover? I've just worked out what 1/32 is, 0.8mm is small! I don't think I've seen bits that small around here!

I think I might start with a less detailed model ;)

Its distance between toolpaths and along toolpath.

also here is a link to some of the bits I used on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-32-0312-CARBIDE-2-FLUTE-ENDMILLS-BALL-END-STUB-Kyocera-Microtools-/150872956927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2320ba9fff

Thanks, they're a good price, I'll order a few just in case ;) I have never thought of leaving the halves as part of the wood, I always run a profile toolpath. I feel stupid now :p

Also, good job on the designs, I love the game and the weapons!

I'd just hit up our rpf member Irishamericanlad, he does some great metal casting work. Even have him working on a project of my own.

You did a hell of a job with the armor my friend, here's hoping you can answer a quick question that's been bugging the hell outta me. Is that gauntlet that needs the 4 rings in the college the same as a normal daedric gauntlet (save for the oblivion symbol in the palm)? That's been on my "plot out how to make" list since I found it in the game, but since I have a 360 it's not like I can grab screenshots to compare :lol

Also, daedric arrows would go great with that bow :)

Chris

I'd just hit up our rpf member Irishamericanlad, he does some great metal casting work. Even have him working on a project of my own.

You did a hell of a job with the armor my friend, here's hoping you can answer a quick question that's been bugging the hell outta me. Is that gauntlet that needs the 4 rings in the college the same as a normal daedric gauntlet (save for the oblivion symbol in the palm)? That's been on my "plot out how to make" list since I found it in the game, but since I have a 360 it's not like I can grab screenshots to compare :lol

Also, daedric arrows would go great with that bow :)

Chris

Thanks for that, I will ask him about it for sure. About the gauntlet, do you remember the name of it? I can get you better info that way. If you need proper screens of that item let me know, I can be of service there. Just tell me what you need.

It never really had a name in the game that I can recall, just a daedric artifact in the college's basement area. The area is pretty bloodstained and there's skeletons everywhere. The quest has you grab 4 guys rings from a lockbox and put them on the gauntlet in the correct order to summon a daedra (looks a bit like a redguard) that you can either fight or release to get a treasure map as a reward.

The only pic I have of it currently is the one I found online when searching for more info on it :

JaTPOl.png

That's a thumbnail though, cause the screencap is moderately huge.

The only thing I remember was it had the oblivion symbol in the palm, and when you put the rings on the fingers they all closed. It was pretty nifty.

Chris

Stunning job. I saw the finished masters and said out loud "Okay, its time I learned how to do some 3D design now."

On a semi-related topic, thanks for all the awesome work in Skyrim! The Daedric weapons are a blast; I'm a big fan of the axe personally. They're a bit more complicated than I've had the courage to tackle though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back