Child's Skylander Drobot Costume

Vitro

Hi there!

My 8 year son loves the video game Skylanders and his favorite one is Drobot. So when I asked him what he wanted to be for Halloween this year guess what he wanted to be? Yep, Drobot.

I had started a Gears of War foam build and realized the foam would be great for a scratch building his costume. I spent some time trying to create it in Sketchup then Blender and finally I'm just eyeballing it from the 3 inch figure.

I do apologize with the gap in updates but I can only work on this on the weekends.

I added the horn and used my Dremel to carve in the designs.

There's my failed attempt at making a sprocket for the jaw hinge. Any hints on cutting smooth circles in EVA foam?

Next up is the claws and the back.

thanks!

-Vitro

A sewing pin tapped through the center of the rough cut circle into a small block of wood or a dowel as a handle, will allow fine triming of the final shape on a sander/bandsaw/hotwire and should leave no perceptible hole in the foam.

Best to do multiples simultaneously if the pin is long enough pass through several layers of foam.

A sewing pin tapped through the center of the rough cut circle into a small block of wood or a dowel as a handle, will allow fine triming of the final shape on a sander/bandsaw/hotwire and should leave no perceptible hole in the foam.

Best to do multiples simultaneously if the pin is long enough pass through several layers of foam.

Thanks Merav that should do the trick!

Update:

Finally got some time to work on my son's costume again. It's another rush because this Friday after school they have a Trunk Or Treat.

I lucked out with the way Drobot has a backpack thing and wings. So my plan is to just attach the wings to the back thing and my son will wear it like a backpack.

I added some wood dowels to reinforce the wings. I went with the single layer foam (1/2 inch) instead of the two ply. One because it made it heavier and two I was running out of the blue foam.

Thanks for viewing,
-Vitro

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back