Is there any way to remove paint from styrene...

Styrene can be some durable stuff. Depending on what kind of paint it is, a chemical stripper might work....of course without knowing what you're doing and what the peice is will affect what or how you'll be able to successfully go about it.

Steve

I have read of people spraying easy off oven cleaner on the parts and putting it in a plastic bag over night.

Experiment first...

There is a product by Floquil/Polly S called Easy Lift Off. Great stuff. I've used it with great success on vintage styrene kits that were painted with that nasty thick enamel paint that gave you a headache if you used it in a closed room (you know, the good old days.....)

Apply it with a brush and let it sit overnight. Then, go in with a stiff brush (like a toothbrush) and scrub it away. Somethimes the paint just lifts off in one piece. Easy. Guess that's where they got the name.

GK

<div class='quotetop'>(GKvfx @ Nov 15 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]1358367[/snapback]</div>
There is a product by Floquil/Polly S called Easy Lift Off. Great stuff. I've used it with great success on vintage styrene kits that were painted with that nasty thick enamel paint that gave you a headache if you used it in a closed room (you know, the good old days.....)

Apply it with a brush and let it sit overnight. Then, go in with a stiff brush (like a toothbrush) and scrub it away. Somethimes the paint just lifts off in one piece. Easy. Guess that's where they got the name.

GK
[/b]

This sounds ideal, and I've managed to find a stockist in the UK :)

I'll give the brake fluid trick a go too.

I've tried oven cleaner with resin, and it had no effect whatever. Maybe US oven cleaners are made of stronger stuff :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Nov 15 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]1358398[/snapback]</div>
Maybe US oven cleaners are made of stronger stuff :lol
[/b]

I've often wondered this about chemical dilution ratios abroad and within the US...I've heard that in the UK, bleach isn't even commercially available :confused .....is this true?

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>(DL 44 Blaster @ Nov 15 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]1358424[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Nov 15 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]1358398[/snapback]
Maybe US oven cleaners are made of stronger stuff :lol
[/b]

I've often wondered this about chemical dilution ratios abroad and within the US...I've heard that in the UK, bleach isn't even commercially available :confused .....is this true?

Steve
[/b][/quote]

No, that's not correct. How would we clean our toilets? :lol

Depending on the paint, I find soaking in bleach to be pretty effective. I've heard it implied that it may make the plastic slightly brittle - but I've never seen an issue with it; test first to see if that suits you.

On the up-side, bleach is less nasty than a lot of the other cleaners - wear old clothes and avoid obvious mistakes and it's pretty harmless to handle and dispose of.

I use bleach to prep old model kits for restoration, and it also weakens the glue pretty effectively - I can usually pop old seams open after the bleach soak, as well. I've got a vintage Galactica reduced back to a nearly raw state after a good long soak.

I've used good old paint thinner to remove paint many times, and it never melted the styrene. I used rubbing alchohol to remove paint from resin a number of times with great effect as well.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back