TMNT ninja turtles Donatello costume

582bronco

Hello all, after seeing all these awesome turtle suits everyone has been making, I have been obsessed with making my own. There are several problems that I have though....

#1 This is my first time ever touching clay (can'y help me with that)
#2 This is my first ever build and all that I know is from watching you guys
#3 For the life of me I just can't seem to get the right look of Donny from the first movie.

You guys are so knowledgeable and have an awesome eye so if you could PLEASE look my pics over and give me the list of what I have to do. I know I still have smoothing to do and am looking for advice on the general shape. Any help would be deeply appreciated and thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Re: Noob needs help w Donatello turtle suit!

Great work man!!! Im still a noob at clay so not much advice. Just wanted to say it looks really good.

first off cant tell its your first time...your doin an awesome job..what I see that the nose needs to be more rounded n not stick out so much but other than that spot on:thumbsup

first off cant tell its your first time...your doin an awesome job..what I see that the nose needs to be more rounded n not stick out so much but other than that spot on:thumbsup

You da man doc, that's exactly why I put up the pics... After staring at something so much, I don't notice obvious stuff. Thx buddy!

Lookin' good, for sure! However, he does look a bit angry, more Raph than Donny. Other than that, very nice. What do you want to do with it after the sculpt? Is is just a sculpture, or do you plan to do the whole costume? I sculpt and cast, lemme know!

Lookin' good, for sure! However, he does look a bit angry, more Raph than Donny. Other than that, very nice. What do you want to do with it after the sculpt? Is is just a sculpture, or do you plan to do the whole costume? I sculpt and cast, lemme know!
Your totally right man he does look too angry. It seems to me that he has this almost sinister look in the first movie. Slight smile with ****** and squinting eyes. To answer your question I plan on doing a full costume. Rebound 25 and flexfoam I think. Any help or advice is always appreciated! Thanks buddy

So, Flex Foam with a silicone skin? Gonna probably be pricey. But, if you are gonna do a full-body sculpt, it will look really great! Just watch your undercuts, you are gonna get a couple of big ones in the head area.

So, Flex Foam with a silicone skin? Gonna probably be pricey. But, if you are gonna do a full-body sculpt, it will look really great! Just watch your undercuts, you are gonna get a couple of big ones in the head area.

Huh, I thought that perhaps I could just have the flex foam as the "skin" would it be too rough? I guess then it would make more sense to do dragon skin then? I don't have a lot money was planning on like 700$ or so... I trimmed the beak a bit and put the eyebrows down a little. Do you guys thing I should change the mouth, like close it a bit or open it up? I was planning on maybe carving teeth into the clay with the mouth open just slightly.

Huh, I thought that perhaps I could just have the flex foam as the "skin" would it be too rough? I guess then it would make more sense to do dragon skin then? I don't have a lot money was planning on like 700$ or so... I trimmed the beak a bit and put the eyebrows down a little. Do you guys thing I should change the mouth, like close it a bit or open it up? I was planning on maybe carving teeth into the clay with the mouth open just slightly.
Have you seen this video? Pretty helpful, I think!
Casting and skinning Flex Foam - YouTube

Have you seen this video? Pretty helpful, I think!
Casting and skinning Flex Foam - YouTube

Yes!!! Thanks man! I think this is the route I'm going to take for molding. Thank you for the video. Its hard to get information when you dont know what to look for.

Did a little more smoothing, I think its getting closer....:)

Please give suggestions as to the shape of the mouth or anything that looks off.

That's looking great! The smoothing is really helping. I can't think of anything advice on the sculpting, but it looks like Don's lower lip is a bit more 'pouty' for lack of a better word. If you thinned it out and defined it a bit more, it may add to the shape of Donatello's face.

That's looking great! The smoothing is really helping. I can't think of anything advice on the sculpting, but it looks like Don's lower lip is a bit more 'pouty' for lack of a better word. If you thinned it out and defined it a bit more, it may add to the shape of Donatello's face.

Great observation! I will work on trimming it up a bit.

Looking sweet. what type of clay are you using.

Thanks for the props:) This is the clay I'm using..
Van Aken Plastalina Modeling Clay - BLICK art materials
Its oil based so I dont have to worry about it drying out which is nice. From what I understand you need to avoid using clay with sulfur in it if you are planing on making molds with it. Not sure if that applies to silicone..

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back