Marvel NOW Comics - Amazing Spider-Man #700

Vivek

Master Member
Comics: Marvel to End The Amazing Spider-Man with Issue #700 | Superhero Hype
I like the covers, but hate Marvel's decision to reboot their titles.

Along with Amazing Spider-Man, the following titles and dozens more are being rebooted.

Avengers
Captain America
Deadpool
Fantastic Four
Invincible Iron Man
Uncanny X-Men

ASM_700_MARTIN_zps82734811.jpg

ASM_700_Wrap_zps2900b204.jpg

ASM_700_cover_zpscdc12014.jpg

yeah but this i get. at some time, its just really hard to continue this huge continuous thing. and for new readers, they would need to get all the old stuff to get up to par.

this way, they can get new readers, add quality, and not repeat all the stuff over and over

Guess it's a no win situation for them, I understand it brings in a wave of new readers while alienating or frustrating the older readers.

I am pretty much done with modern Marvel and DC's crossovers and will stick to some of their individual titles and will branch out more towards standalone titles from other publishers as well. Of course will still continue to buy their classic trades.

It's a gimmick to boost sales. Short lived sales that eventually die off - then they'll reboot again... and those sales will die off.

This current crop of comic executives that couldn't market themselves if they were running down the street on fire throwing money. They're sarificing long term sales for a short term spike that eventually dies down to even lower sales.

It's a shame but I feel it's directions like this (and the horrible thing DC is doing) that's killing comics faster than this digital revolution.

Things like this are why I rarely ever read Marvel or DC anymore other than some of the Vertigo titles. Just about everything I read now is a small press or indie title.

Sad too, I used to be a huge Spiderman and X-Men fan. Maybe this will be the final straw to get me to whittle down my comic collection. :p

It's actually a good thing for us older readers who haven't had one of the comics in a while. I stopped collecting in the mid 90s and i have no clue who half the new x-men are or what's going on in the Marvel universe. I'm slowly buying TPBs to get caught up but alot happens in 15 plus years.

It's actually a good thing for us older readers who haven't had one of the comics in a while. I stopped collecting in the mid 90s and i have no clue who half the new x-men are or what's going on in the Marvel universe. I'm slowly buying TPBs to get caught up but alot happens in 15 plus years.

Basically the same thing here. I'm buying some of the Essential series to read the earlier stuff I missed, but that's it, and that's all I ever will again. The last new issues I bought were in 2003 (a brief run on Iron Man, an old favorite), but prior to that I think my last purchases were in the late 80's. Some of the earliest stages of today's rot actually took root about then, roughly about the time of Secret Wars.

Actually, to be somewhat more specific, the very beginning of the changes occurred during the time that the letter columns went from two columns of type to three! It was something that began editorially, and eventually trickled down to the creators.

Didn't they just do this as well a few years ago? They restarted Iron Man, Thor and some others from number 1. They re-did the origins as well. Even if it was 10 years ago, I think it's too early to do again. I don't read comics anymore so I don't care what they do. Sad to see Amazing end. Would have been cool to get to #1,000.

My understanding for the Ultimates was for those books to be made into movies. This way the movies were like the books. And people were familiar with the stories and characters. This re-numbering and starting over was done before.

There's the "Ultimates" line, but that was always recognized as a separate continuity from the "616" line, which is the one that's been around since the 60s.

I understand why they do this, btu I still think it's stupid, especially since it inevitably reverts in a few years, so that they can keep the stuff they like from the past, while getting rid of the old stuff that hampers them.

Personally, I don't think people need to know EVERYTHING that came before, and if they do, well, that's what TPBs are for, no? And the internet wiki sites, for that matter.

Besides, most comics usually underwent some kind of "reboot" at some point in their lifespan anyway when new writing and artistic teams take over. an actual honest-to-god reboot of the universe just gives them a LITTLE more freedom to play with, although not much because there's still plenty of preconceived notions about this stuff.

As for DC, though, I fully expect their universe will "re-reboot" in another year or two...

...in CRISIS OF INFINITE REBOOTS!!!

Exactly my thinking!

-Zoid

Amazing Spider Man #698 - #700 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Don't read this unless you've are caught up on ASM.

----

So I read 698 this past weekend and picked up 699 today. I haven't gotten a chance to read it but I'm so confused as to how this is going to end. We are supposed to believe that Doc Ock has been Spidey or awhile now?? That's a very strange way to end it all. So did Peter die in Doc's body?

I was hoping he'd be Superior Spidey's mentor.. But if he's dead..

Could the Doc be superior spiderman? I mean, calling himself Superior DOES sound like something he would do..

What are your thoughts?

Amazing Spider-Man 700

WORST. COMIC. EVER.

I'm not gonna post what happened in it, cuz I don't want spoilers. But having read it, I can say that I have almost lost confidence in Marvel... I don't know how they agreed to end the Amazing title that way after 50 years. I'd love to hear what you guys think of it, if there are any supporters of it out there.

So mad at Dan Slott :angry

Stopped reading Amazing Spider-Man after One More Day and though many liked the early story lines of Brand New Day, I just couldn't bring myself to read them. Dan Slott's writing has been getting lot of praise in the last few years, but I guess another major drastic change to the character was inevitable. I stopped reading Marvel and stopped buying comics in general after OMD. I plan to slowly get back to self contained independent stories and titles, instead of the endless crossovers and title reboots from Marvel and DC.

I don't know anything about issue ASM #700, I read that Dan Slott has been receiving online death threats from fans and he has forwarded some of those threats (including from Twitter) to the authorities.

I am still mad at Marvel and especially at Joe Quesada for going through with One More Day, still hate the fact that J. Michael Straczynski went ahead with the Sins Past storyline. But at the end of the day, they are the creative guys, they are the decision makers of their work. I can choose to enjoy and embrace it or dislike it yet should remember that it's just the interpretation of the character by one writer and I shouldn't let it ruin the legacy of the character for myself.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back