Doctor Who: Oswin's Belt (ID'ed on page 2)

could the tubes be co2 cartridges for air pistols looks similar
cyber-gun-12g-co2-cartridge.jpg
They make something silar for seltzer bottles and foam dispensors. Still convinced the belt buckle is fake based on real quick connect buckles.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Re: Doctor Who: Oswin's Belt buckle (SPOILERS?)

Think I found the buckle:

==???=

It looks like the wings are a little lower but that could be because they push down to release the belt part? Also the bar needs to be cut out to make the rectangular hole (on the left of the Oswin shot). Plus the half circle needs cutting out. Other than that, it looks dead on to me. Even the notches on the wings looks like it is there in the Oswin shot at the top of the thread. Gotta be it, right?

Can also be found at the following links:

Îå½ð²å¿Û£¬Îå½ðƤ´ø¿Û£¬²å¿Û£¬qq1287858196
SA1023>??>?,,,?,?

Even if not quite the buckle, it's definitely a great close enough!!

It's not the exact buckle, but it does look similar enough to go for it. Just two problems. I can't find any mention of how big it is, and I can't find any way of actually buying it.

Yeah that's the crappy part. I finally find a good close enough and it's not possible to buy it. Typical!!

At least it's a good shot for if you have to construct your own buckle.

I re-watched the episode and it looks huge on her. I'd go so far as to say it's at least 2 inches tall, possibly even closer to three. It looks massive! I'd definitely say the belt is 2 inches and the buckle is around 2 1/2 inches with the wing height. I didn't notice how crazy big it was until I watched it again.

I've tried countless more searches trying to find the buckle or this close enough buckle and I'm officially giving up on it. My eyes are tired of buckles, I must have put in about 10 hours of searching for this thing lol. I quit!!! One of those chinese places does say luggage deduction so maybe it came from a luggage strap?

Well thanks for your help, you got pretty close. She's going to try contacting them with the help of a friend that speaks Chinese. Maybe she can order a sample from the company.

As for the size, I'm pretty sure the original belt was 1.75" wide. We're leaning toward 2" for the replica because she is about half a foot taller than Coleman.

No problem, I just couldn't bear to look at any more buckles. Hopefully her friend gets it sorted out for her. I don't think you'll find a closer buckle, than the actual buckle used on screen of course.

I imagine at that height, 2" will look perfect. You gonna post any updates in here? It's such a detailed belt that I'd love to see this progress as you make it!

EDIT: Also, that link to the high res shot I posted earlier in the thread. I changed the number at the end of the link and a bunch of other high res shots came up. There are good shots of the watch, the belt, the earrings, the chain link ring, the seams on the dress and the handheld recording device. Hopefully this will help you guys out even more!

http://bunnydelia.files.wordpress.c...eman-as-oswin-in-dr-who-season-7-2012-001.jpg
http://bunnydelia.files.wordpress.c...eman-as-oswin-in-dr-who-season-7-2012-002.jpg
http://bunnydelia.files.wordpress.c...eman-as-oswin-in-dr-who-season-7-2012-003.jpg
http://bunnydelia.files.wordpress.c...eman-as-oswin-in-dr-who-season-7-2012-004.jpg
http://bunnydelia.files.wordpress.c...eman-as-oswin-in-dr-who-season-7-2012-005.jpg

You continue to amaze me with your resourcefulness. Thanks again!

I can definitely post my build for the belt and I'm sure she'd be fine with me sharing a picture of her in the finished costume after Gally.

So some updates. Now that the costume is on display in Cardiff, some great shots came out, including a close up of the buckle, which has the brand name stamped on it. I tracked it down, but was beaten to the punch ID'ing it publicly. It's made by Hi-Tek LONDON, who also make some very interesting steampunk accessories, and it looks to be the whole belt based on the odd rivets that attach the buckle. Tara purchased the belt and it's on it's way to me now to begin upgrading. Next step is the junk hanging on the belt.

Speaking of, does anybody here have a vac forming table and some free time? The brown square bits on either side of the buckle are pretty clearly electroflocked vac formed packaging with a doohickey in the center. I'll be able to make a piece to form the plastic in no time, but I don't have a machine to do a couple pulls. If anybody here would be kind enough to help me with this, I'm sure we could make a deal. Please send me a PM.

The belt came in the other day, and we went to an antique store and found a good flashlight. It's not exactly screen accurate, but it has the right basic shape. Also pictured are the whisk, elastic band, and some probably temporary canisters.

DSC03171_zps78a5090d.jpg

Luckily we ordered it way too big, for two reasons. First, the Chicago screws they used are all wrong, and they aren't put on evenly. I'm going to check my place in LA to see if they have the correct ones. If not, I might have to email Hi Tek and request a pair, if they still use them at all. Second, the holes punched in the belt are much bigger than the ones on Oswin's. With all the extra length I can cut off both ends and punch correct smaller holes and line up the Chicago screws correctly.

As soon as Xmas is over and I have a little free time I'm going to start drawing up then scratch building the face plate on the big box on the right side of the belt. In the meantime, Tara is checking her nearby junk store for dials, knobs, model engine parts, and whatever the heck the other big object is on the back of the belt.

My previous post was incorrect too, after staring at the pictures, the square boxes look more like packaging foam than flocking.

I finally got back to working on this. My girlfriend has been sending me pieces for a while now. Here's everything I've got so far. Some of that is not assembled, and some of the bits aren't present yet as they still have to be scratch built.

DSC03275_zpsfd7b2bcf.jpg

She finished her costume weeks ago, now I just have to finish the belt.

Wow, that looks amazing. Would you mind at all elaborating on how you made each piece/what each piece is? I'm attempting to make one of these belts myself and I could really use some help :)

Sure thing. From top to bottom/left to right then:

The Hi-Tek belt. My girlfriend bought it and had it shipped here, all I had to do was punch all the extra holes in it and cut it to length.

Two pill cases. One needs the red anodized finish sanded off. They're not IDENTICAL to the real ones, but pretty close. Then we have some .75" black elastic, some aluminum plates that are cut to size but don't have the holes drilled yet. The clip next to those isn't identical to the one on the screen used belt, that one has a weird cross base on it and we weren't able to find it. They came in a pack of 5 though, and they do match the other two clips on the back of the belt. Some chain, inaccurate and will be replaced later, and the whisk.

On the middle right we've got some 1/2" packaging foam and a clay sculpt of the bit that goes in the center of those two boxes. I'll clean it up and mold it to pour two casts later. Below that we have accurate headphone wires to go into it and the zip ties that hold them to the belt.

The bottom row we got as close as possible. On the far left is a reading glasses case. I might try to polish up the cap a little to match the one on the belt. After that is a vintage flashlight. Found out later that it's actually a 6" sink tube on the real belt, but she didn't want to change it. Next is what I've been referring to as box 3, which is a black plastic box with a multi-layer metal face plate, two silver tubes, and a metal H-shaped block. This one is barely completed yet. The is box 2, which was a piece of wood she cut to shape, I haven't finished the face plate yet, it's being made from layers of styrene, then I'll mold and cast it. Then box 1, which is pretty much done. Random model car engine parts stuck to a styrene plate. It's short a screw.

This project has been temporarily put on hold. My girlfriend got really sick and she's not going to make it to Gally, so it's being put off probably until Convergence in July. Gives us plenty of time to get it just right.

Thanks for the link, we did already see all that info, though. My girlfriend already got the correct shoes and socks and patterned the dress herself. Having seen it I can say it's dead on. Just the belt left to go now. The new deadline is Dragoncon.

For anyone looking for CO2 cartridges, look for your local bike shop. They will most likely have loads of them, as they are used to inflate tires in emergency situations. Also, if anyone is looking for the dress, American Apparel has one that can be altered to be screen accurate, with exception of the sleeve length.

Back from the dead. I'm going to push to finish this in time for DCon. My girlfriend has patterned and sewn the dress I think 5 times now and she's finally happy with it. A few things have made it possible for me to really up my game on this belt. First, at SDCC the booth I worked was right next to the BBC booth and I got to take some amazing photos of the screen worn Oswin costume (and S5 Matt Smith as well, which was enlightening). I was able to see a lot of details that couldn't be seen in other photos because the costume was only a foot from the glass, you could go around back, and there was great lighting. Second, I learned (well, am learning) Adobe Illustrator. I feel stupid for having gone so long without it now. I've just drawn up a vector for the metal plate on the front of what I call "box 3" and I'll be doing the large plastic plate on "box 2" soon. And last, I've recently signed up with a yearly subscription makerspace with a laser cutter and I can quickly and effortlessly laser cut plastic sheet to turn out any part I can draw in AI. There will be pictures coming soon, I expect to hit the shop later this week or early next week and get a bunch of the pieces cut out and assembled.

Oh, and HUGE thanks to WarMachine AGAIN for alerting me to the presence of a screen accurate Storm watch on ebay a while back. Thanks to him, my girlfriend was able to buy the watch, and one with the correct band which is more common, and swap them out. Now she has the screen accurate watch and I got a pretty awesome Storm watch from the leftover parts, haha. I'll take a picture of the watch as well when I post the others.

So this is all coming together very quickly now, and it will be done in time for DCon at the end of this month.

OK, pictures. Unfortunately, you can't see much detail in this picture, particularly on the plate for box 3. Once it's painted silver it should be more visible.

And here is the watch.

On Monday I'll be hitting LA for supplies. I'm hoping to find a thinner chain, some hooks and jump rings for it, and some more accurate caps for the Chicago screws holding the buckle on. Over the weekend I'll be drawing up box 2 and the little detail plates the cover the sides of all the boxes. Maybe also the little silver piece on either side of the buckle/on top of box 1.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back