Doctor Who: Oswin's Belt (ID'ed on page 2)

Risu

Master Member
I put the spoiler tag on in case anybody's a few weeks behind on the show. A friend of mine is making this costume and I'll be making the belt for her, so I'm trying to track down the buckle. It's being discussed on the dw_cosplay LiveJournal, but I recall a recent thread where Art was looking for something similar and you guys nailed it in a few hours. I'm hoping those are repeatable results, haha. Here's a picture:

280842_original.jpg

The belt it's attached to is most likely 1 3/4" wide, but could POSSIBLY be as much as 2". Can anybody recognize it? Possibly a parachute buckle?

Last edited:
Re: Doctor Who: Oswin's Belt buckle (SPOILERS?)

By the looks of it, it is a cobra buckle but looks just a little longer. I think its the best you will get unless someone has an exact copy, only problem is these run like 20$ a buckle IIRC. Or you could just get a rigger's belt with cobra buckle which i think it pretty much is.

The buckle on the screen used belt was definitely added by the production to a different belt, as in other shots of the belt you can see a single series of prong holes in the leather where there was a regular buckle attached. It looks like they simply folded either end of the very short belt around each side of the new buckle. I'll have a look around at some cobra buckles though, thanks!

Also, knowing the parts used on some of the show's other tossed together bits, my fear is that it'll be a harness buckle from an experimental aircraft from the 1930s.

Back when I worked in radio tower construction, the tool/safety belt I wore had a very similar buckle. Maybe google safety belts?

Back when I worked in radio tower construction, the tool/safety belt I wore had a very similar buckle. Maybe google safety belts?

From there it looks like it might be a "quick connect buckle" or "bayonet buckle". I saw a lot of quick connects, but nothing that was close to the screen shot.

Yea, everything I'm finding so far using those searches is too small. They also tend to have a small bar in the center that inserts into the buckle, whereas this one looks to have a very fanned out hinged pair of arms. Looks very much like a flat metal version of a plastic side release buckle, but huge.

Yea, everything I'm finding so far using those searches is too small. They also tend to have a small bar in the center that inserts into the buckle, whereas this one looks to have a very fanned out hinged pair of arms. Looks very much like a flat metal version of a plastic side release buckle, but huge.

:facepalm
I totally missed the "cobra" comment. That is definitely what you are looking for. But I think it is not a real buckle. Every single picture I found had rivets that the latch "wings" pivot on. And I could only find a few that come even close to being as wide as the one in the screenshot.

Can you link me to some of these buckles? Because when I search cobra buckles I don't see anything even remotely close to this one.

Can you link me to some of these buckles? Because when I search cobra buckles I don't see anything even remotely close to this one.

I did an image search, not a regular search. And I change my mind again. I am going to say that is a fake buckle. No rivets or anything else visible for the releases to pivot on. Also, some of the ones I saw on an angle show that these things are THICK. About a quarter of an inch or 6mm for the smaller buckles.

Here are some real buckles to compare with hers. You can see the releases on these are right where the tongue is inserted into the buckle:
pictures

And here are some you can buy:
Parachutes? Skydiving equipment? Shop ParaGear.com!

OK, just to be clear, I'm looking for this buckle, not a place holder. Those cobra buckles are the wrong style and size. If I can't find a real buckle, I'll make one from sheet steel, but I don't WANT to do that.

try filkr but if not im sure some one could reproduce it to simular specs out of brass and weathering would come natuarly

If I did not have to get to bed, I would look. I will take a look at the thread tomorrow and see if anybody has figured it out but it looks like a variation of a Raptor or Cobra side release buckle. It's the only metal buckles I know that looks close to that. Cobra and Raptor are basically the same, just one is made in US.
So basically, if its a variation, you are looking for a harness buckle type used by riggers. Hope that helps. The Raptors are very close to that look, just not exact.

Sorry I can't help more, but I really have to get to bed since i have to be up super early for work and I am NOT a morning person.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Hey Dude,
I had a good look on Google today for an hour. Found some close ones but nothing that was close enough. Do we have any info on this at all? It looks like it is custom.

I'll definitely keep looking for you though, as I loved all of the Oswin props, especially her watch device!

Yea, we're completely lost on the watch as well. Don't even know where to start with that one.

Do you think you might make it to Gally this year? I've heard it'll be a REALLY good year to attend, if you catch my drift.

Probably not man, it bums me out a lot but it is what it is. I told my wife straight up that I'm going next year. Plus she just finally started watching it with me so she might wanna go herself lol.

I love the watch, I noticed the strap before anything else, I've seen that strap before, I just don't know where.

I still haven't found this buckle. I've searched google images high and low. I'm starting to lose hope on it. I'll keep at it though!!

I thought the same thing about the watch band, it looks really familiar.

I'm sure you already have this but it's the highest quality version of it that I could find:

http://bunnydelia.files.wordpress.c...eman-as-oswin-in-dr-who-season-7-2012-001.jpg

You can see most of the details up close. There is a terry tool clip on there, some metal bars with screws and nuts going through them. I think someone already ID'd the whisk. Not sure what those tube things are though. Either way, hopefully it helps.

Still haven't found anything on a buckle, not even anything close. I also looked into the watch band. Casio makes a few close-ish bands but I couldn't find the proper one. I did notice that the watch has 2 hinges on it though and the top section definitely flips up, not sure whether the middle part flips up from the bottom though. It does look like it might. The watch is probably just a static custom (besides the hinges and flipping up) but that should be easy enough as it's completely symmetrical. I'll have to go back and grab some 720p screenshots of everything.

Last edited:

I figured they were the cartidges, and she has a couple of them but they're still compressed, so no drilling holes through them. We're looking into alternate options. Anybody know where we can get complete safe and decompressed cartridges?

Thanks for the pic, I had one that was about 1/4 that resolution. That one is much clearer.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back