TMNT Krang + Android Body *Final Pics pg. 9"

Re: TMNT Krang + Android Body Budget Build

Searched a few places yesterday and this morning for an animatronic to use. At Walgreens I seen a skeleton that moves it's jaw when you talk in to the mic. That could be useful. There are also dancing animals all over, and those would work for moving the tentacles. I may end up butchering two for the prop.

Ideally I was hoping to find/use a motion sensing wall plaque with moving eyes, and use it with one of the dancing animals to control the tentacles. I don't necessarily need his jaw to move, although it would be nice. Any movement at all is better than none, so I may just have to settle for moving tentacles. I'll check a few more places today (Target, maybe Big Lots) before I commit and start building. I don't want to spend more than $20 total for whichever animatronics I use. I'm trying to keep the whole costume under $150. Currently I'm around $70.

I'd mostly be wearing this in loud places, so audio isn't a priority for me at this time.

Tonight I plan to start and complete most of the arms. Tomorrow I'll stop at Lowe's and pick up a sheet of 2" insulation foam and I'll start sculpting the head over the weekend. Legs next week. Krang himself will come along as I have time. I think I can knock him out in a week, so it may be October by the time I start him, unless I find the right animatronic in the next few days.

If you're planning to wait until October to build Krang then really you should hold off on buying animatronics until you find the right one. I'm positive there is some sort of prop out there that has moving eyes and moving parts for the tentacles. Do you have any of those Spirit halloween stores around you? And that skeleton with the mic sounds totally perfect for this! =)

I hit up a few more places on my lunch break - Dollar General, Joann's, Big Lots - Nothing usable. Has the age of the interactive Door Knocker come and gone?

I'll check Target tonight, then Spirit maybe tomorrow.

Cruising ebay I found just what I needed:
Halloween door knocker

I'll need to do some reconstruction on him - eliminate the whole nasal portion and shift that part up, but I think it's a worth base. Hopefully the moving jaw isn't gravity based - if so, I'll add some weights to the inside so that it can pull the latex of the overlay.

Tonight's update - Worked on the bases of the arms. I need to refine the cuts at the elbows to make a better working joint. Both pieces of the arms tend to slide off, but that should be remedied when connected to the upper arm shoulder pads, which will then be connected to the torso.

Better pictures when they're finalized.

CF9B21E2-76B3-4787-A19D-0944525BCF2D-19178-0000235EA9F66488_zpsb0a43303.jpg

Change of plan - I'm really not happy with the way the arms are coming out. They look and move a bit more clunky and with more motion restriction than what I had planned in my head.
Living in Florida, comfort is more of a priority, I've decided to go with the Zentai suit for the arms and legs. I have the natural bulk, so I'm taking advantage of it. With that choice, the costume would be a bit more accurate anyway. Not too big of a loss I think, it gives me more time to concentrate on the other parts of the costume.

I still plan to vacuuform the helmet. The door knocker to use as Krang's base should be in early next week.

Thanks for all of the replies! I wasn't expecting so many (or so many encouraging) responses!

Cut an insulation foam sheet in to 1'x1' squares and stacked them 15" high. Set them to glue together overnight. This will be the base for the helmet.

761830F4-DA63-4810-928B-5EF3ED7216A3-483-0000002C2A7614DD_zps5a0eb7e8.jpg

9/22 Update
- I started forming the foam stack into a helmet, but the sheets started sliding around. I'll let the glue dry for another day.

I received two items in the mail today: my nude zentai suit and the door knocker I bought on eBay. The door knocker turned out to be way too small for my needs, so I'm skipping any sort of animatronics. I just don't have the time this year.

The zentai suit fits my fat ass surprisingly well. If anything the arms and legs are too long, creating some sagging. I was worried about my body hair showing through, but it looks fine in regular light. Though If anyone takes a picture with me using flash, they'll be in for a hirsute surprise!

After deciding to skip the animatronics and waiting on the helmet to dry, I decided to start Krang. My initial idea was to make him out of the pink insulation foam sheets. Confession time - this costume was my first time using them and I'm just not good enough using it to get the results I want on something requiring a lot of detail. I decided to pick up a large container of Crayola Model Magic. I've used it a few times before and it turned out to be just what I needed.

I made a template of the inside of Krang's chamber that I could use as a boundary guide. I drew a picture of Krang on the template to follow as I add on layers of model magic. I cut a ping pong ball in half to use for the eyes and off I went. My 5 year old daughter wanted to help and did the entire right side portion of the brain filler. Here are the results:

4D8533F1-E903-42E7-A22A-0CC17A032AEF-706-00000167E6B98F52_zps3efaf763.jpg

74724C7D-0C38-4EFA-9DAC-33FB68EEC04E-706-00000166F3230E36_zpsa4b216f4.jpg

5CF90772-A307-4E28-AC51-45DD7FE8DEF5-706-000001670D21E90D_zpsf492e02d.jpg

80B0C47B-40F9-4E4E-A289-7668E9C9B48D-706-000001670440C7E6_zpsf933a8fe.jpg

61C4562A-61BF-4304-817B-CA9BB31717D1-706-00000166DEF5D841_zps4d0a99f7.jpg

Teeth are sculpted separately and will be attached at the end.
I am so happy with this so far. Next steps for Krang are to seal him with Mod Podge, paint him up, then put a couple of layers of semi transparent latex over him to seal him up good.

Thanks for looking!

-Rob

Last edited:

man it will be awesome if you have a midget in a Krang mask instead and tied to your lower torso.

I love this forum. Nowhere else will you find ideas like this but also with the care and accuracy to make the other fans love it to.

Keep it up.

That is one of the most unique and going to be one of the greatest costumes I have ever seen.

This is amazing. Fantastic job on Krang. Can't wait to see more of your progress!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back