Options for Sandtrooper paint job?...

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anybody have a good "go-to" guy to paint up Sandtrooper armor?

Looking for a nice, high-end paint job (air-brushed?) for the ultimate 1:1 Sandtrooper display. :cool

Is there a good site out there that details the differences between the "standard" Stormtrooper and the Sandtrooper?

thanks!

brad

And if they recommend airbrushing the dirt, run.

Oh, OK...I didn't know that

It seems like getting the Sandtrooper weathering just right is hard? I've seen several over the years and most look kinda "off" to me. :$

I'm just wondering what the experts here say is the best technique, and if there maybe is a couple go-to guys that can pull it off.

thanks for the advice

brad

I like this style a lot. With the grit and grime. So much so in fact, I got this about a month ago.
Sandtrooper.jpg

Is there a good site out there that details the differences between the "standard" Stormtrooper and the Sandtrooper?

You can google "sandtrooper stormtrooper difference" and get a ton of sites with comparison photos showing the differences.

I don't know how to weather best, but there are amazingly talented people here that will chime in.

I did 8 different layers of paint on my Sandy. I always thought Rolf did an excellent job on his.

I used Apple Barrel Acrylic paints. I did the sponge on and wipe off technique. I would even used wadded up newspaper to give me a more unfinished look.

I always wanted to know were the troopers found the mud on Tatooine.
Sand and dirt don't really cake on in a dry environment, without some moisture (oil, sweat, fuel) to stick to. Fine particles can cling with static electricity and grit can accumulate along seems and corners very quickly, but not much can accumulate on a smooth vertical surface (trooper chest plate for instance) without moisture to stick to.

I think ILM went a little crazy with the mud smeared armor, especially the newer CG scenes. The original troopers weren't quit as overdone.

Not a criticism of the armor in the photos posted! The weathering looks well done in the typical sandtrooper style.

I always wanted to know were the troopers found the mud on Tatooine.
Sand and dirt don't really cake on in a dry environment, without some moisture (oil, sweat, fuel) to stick to. Fine particles can cling with static electricity and grit can accumulate along seems and corners very quickly, but not much can accumulate on a smooth vertical surface (trooper chest plate for instance) without moisture to stick to.

I think ILM went a little crazy with the mud smeared armor, especially the newer CG scenes. The original troopers weren't quit as overdone.

Not a criticism of the armor in the photos posted! The weathering looks well done in the typical sandtrooper style.

I agree, but if you think about it maybe if they were stuck on Tatooine for long enough and kept walking in and out of sweat and bo filled bars looking for droids and no good nicks, maybe the dust from outside would gain moisture then. Or if they were lets say strolling along and noticed a moisture farm that all of a sudden caught fire (no ones fault blame the sand people) maybe the humidity created there would make mud :).

the second one was my own personal armor , but i sold it.
The top one was a commission and I think it looks pretty good.
I guess they do look very similar. That happens I guess.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back