Comic Con 2013

squirk

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
SDCC 2013 - first-timer

Well, after all the press over the past few days, I've caught the fever.

Would like to take my (then 12-y.o.) to SDCC in 2013. I've never been. It's more or less appropriate for kids that age, yes? I've never been to D*C either, but the pics I've seen from there appear to be a bit ... salacious, IMHO, for a tween.

I don't know how the SDCC tickets work. Since I can't pre-register, when would tickets be made available to the GP? Will stuff still be available, or will pre-registration snap up everything?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but like I said, I've never been.

Also, anyone ever stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp or Hilton Bayfront? Nice?

Thanks,

Squirk

Re: SDCC 2013 - first-timer

I'd like to know myself as I have heard from
many friend this year and ALLOT of them have decided to
pull the trigger and go next year too !

Dammit, I want to go ONCE before I DIE.... LOL..

Not to hijack your thread, but can anyone give me a rundown
on costs for a weekend ? I've read the Hotels are CRAZY
expensive...

:cry

SDCC is rather family orientated now so your 12 year old should be alright to go. All the vendors have to adhere to strict rules so his accidentally glimpsing material of an adult nature shouldn't be a problem.

Sadly, when I was going I was local so don't know about hotel prices or if they're any good.

I don't know how the SDCC tickets work. Since I can't pre-register, when would tickets be made available to the GP? Will stuff still be available, or will pre-registration snap up everything?
Comic-Con 2012 :: Member ID
Badge Sales FAQ. Also click on the other colored tabs to read their terms and conditions.

https://secure2.comic-con.org/memberid/
Then create a Member Id.

I had planned my US trip in 2010 and had bought comic con tickets for me and another friend in US. But due to busy work schedule and other financial commitments I had to cancel the trip a month before the con.

Next year if my US visa works out and I am able to manage my finances, I am hoping to attend Comic Con 2013.

I crossed that off my Bucket List last year. Unfortunately, I had such an immense amount of fun, I've had to add it back on again. I'm thinking I might go again for my
40th Birthday. (that gives me 4 years to save up!)

Funny....this has been on my bucket list for a LONG time and 2013 will finally be my year too.

I'm moving to San Diego in October so now there's no reason NOT to go!

=)

Thanks. Done and done.

I guess I just wait for an e-mail notifying me when badges go on sale?

Me too, done and done! I had no idea you had to go through this process to buy tickets.

Thanks for the info!

Also, how much is a 4 day Badge?

Last edited:

Would like to take my (then 12-y.o.) to SDCC in 2013. I've never been. It's more or less appropriate for kids that age, yes? I've never been to D*C either, but the pics I've seen from there appear to be a bit ... salacious, IMHO, for a tween.

I took my kids to DragonCon and had no issues. Most of the stuff going on during the day is family friendly. Just stay away from the after dark parties. Or leave the kid with a sitter and enjoy the after dark festivities for yourself. :love

I plan on going next year for the first time and I gonna take my 2 little cousins with me as a surprise. I just got done registering us all.

Me too, done and done! I had no idea you had to go through this process to buy tickets.

Thanks for the info!

Also, how much is a 4 day Badge?

2012's 4-day badge was $150. I've heard it might be going up for 2013 but I haven't see the details yet. I'll know in August when my registration window opens up.

San Diego Comic Con 2013!!!

How far in advance am I able to buy tickets?
Seems as every year I'm looking to buy tickets when it goes on sale, they sell out fast. What is the trick for this? I don't want to miss next year

Re: San Diego Comic Con 2013!!!

Go to the Comic Con website and click on the Member Id in the upper right hand corner. Click on the New member ID and follow the directions. You have to be registered to get tickets. Sometime early in the year they announce when tickets go on sale, and they'll send you an email. Be online at the exact time they say to be there, if you're late by a minute, you're probably not going to get a ticket. You could also volunteer and not need to buy a ticket at all.

Thank you Darkpope for the info. I have seen some job listings at Craigslist last year for helping with Comic Con. Only reason why I didn't apply is because they were looking for females, a far distant from what I am, lol. As far as volunteering, does this mean I can still dress up in my cosplay?

You sure can. As long as it isn't offensive. You still need to sign up the same way to volunteer. They will email you sometime early next year.

Last edited:

It was crossed off my bucket list this year and yes, it's expensive. We spent upward of $2k for a room for 4 nights at the Marriot (attached to the convention hall) but ran into a lot of vips in the elevator. It was a lot of fun but insane amounts of people.

As to tickets, they're online only and not sold to the general public, you have to be registered. This past year they sold out in about an hour (something like 125,000 tickets) though I may have the exact numbers wrong. I registered in January of last year, got my wife one ticket when they went on sale and by the time I completed that transaction they were sold out and I got nothing for myself.... until about two months later when all the ticket sales that failed were released and I purchased a four day badge.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back