psycho silicone paint? how to lose the glossy look? opacity? work time? etc.

jacobzking

my father who is a "master airbrusher" is going to paint up some ninja turtle arms for me tomorrow. the arms are platinum silicon and we're using smooth-on psycho silicone paint with their silc pigment.

i just wanted to see if any users here had much experience with the stuff. i got tips on prepping the silicone with alcohol, but just looking for any other tips on...

1. blending paint to get a good ninjas turtle "olive green" base

2. how does the opacity of the silicone paint effect the outcome

3. how to get a matte look and lose the glossy finish

4. what is the working time for that stuff when cut with toluene

5. force cure with hair dryer or heat gun

any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Hi. Psycho paint it great stuff if used correctly.

To answer some of your questions, the paint base is clear so you add pigment to get the desired result. Adding less pigment will give you more translucent paint than if you add more pigment so you can control how opaque your colours are.

To matt the silicone down, you can dust it with icing sugar or cabosil. Do this when you have done all your painting and the surface is just slightly tacky. Then leave to dry and wash off excess powder.

Curing time depends on how much toluene you use plus ambient temperature so you could always do a test first and force cure with a hairdryer. A heat gun can blister the paint.

Needless to say that spraying silicone and toluene are very hazardous to your health so be sure to do it in a well ventilated area and wear a suitable respirator.

Folks, cabosil is a cancer causing material if your dusting things with it. I recommend using plain old talc to take the shine off of silicone. Also if you want a Matte look, mix cabosil into your silicone paint mix (Stan Winston school has an awesome video on painting silicone) A lot of the chemicals out there for thinning and mixing and matting silicone are hazardous and flammable. Wear the right protection, know what you are working with. Here is the link to the video:
https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/videos/silicone-painting-realistic-flesh-tones-vol-1

To make your silicone paint flat , mix cabosil and naptha in a small container and shake it up making a loose gel. then add this to your paint mix before you thin it down to airbrush it. thin your mixture with more naptha and airbrush the color on. Your paint will be perminantand not glossy at all.

I hope this helps.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back