Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build

Very good job, cant tell its foam at all as its so damn clean! (i knw everyone already said that but its worth saying again!)

Whene did you get you can of plasti dip from? and how much did it cost?

It's still rubs the ego up the right way to hear it though :)

I got it from plastidip.co.uk. It is costly but like I said a 2.5ltr can is still going and here is everything I have made so far.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

No unfortunately. You can harden the foam using James's method at xrobot.co.uk. He coated his foam suit in smooth-on or I think smooth-cast in the US not really sure but if you read his Ironman build on his site he gives loads of info. He is a member here so you can follow his build here too.

Although its not quite the same once all the platidip, primer, car spray and lacquer are on, it does make the foam alot harder. The plastidip is a rubber paint that seals the foam and as it dries levels out to give the smooth base under coat. That is the key to getting the nice shiny finish once you apply the car spray paint.

Very, very nice build. The thing that makes this build stand out to me is how you build with relatively thick foam, but you are able to keep the subtleties of the surfaces intact. I am very impressed and have learned a lot from the techniques you use.

Very, very nice build. The thing that makes this build stand out to me is how you build with relatively thick foam, but you are able to keep the subtleties of the surfaces intact. I am very impressed and have learned a lot from the techniques you use.

Cheers man and the main reason I share my work is so others can learn. On a side note I am gunna go to my local university and see if I can't get the students there into it too. Of course at the same time will hunt down a brain in tech to help with my servos :)

This is solid. I found this post at Lowes contemplating my 12 mm floor mat purchase. They seem barely too thick. I'm definitely picking up more blades thanks to you. Starting my own first bicep tonight on a Mark VII build. I had already planned on using xrobots painting tips. I expect to spend a lot more time on this thread when I'm not browsing on my phone.

I have endless patience and I'm a perfectionist so seeing your build may have ruined my chances of making Halloween now. :)

How many tiles are you expecting to use?

Lol being a perfectionist is a good thing but it does mean dead lines get missed. I think I have used nearly 8 mats already but made alot of stupid mistakes with some parts. This is not a bad thing though because I have a box I toss my scraps in so they are not wasted. Apart from the helmet the entire MK V suit is/will be made from them.

What is your trip to cutting the phone at a perfect 90 degree angle? No matter how hard I try when I cut It winds up being at an angle

What is your trip to cutting the phone at a perfect 90 degree angle? No matter how hard I try when I cut It winds up being at an angle

I am assuming you are asking how I get my angles right? Well tbh there is no trick to it I just hold the knife at the right angle and cut away. There is a bit on my videos showing one of the ways I do it but the technique doesn't work for every piece. The video diary I am going to make should show all the types of techniques I use in a more practical format but it's going to be a while before I get round to it because I promised myself I would do the helmet last cause it's the part I want to do the most. I learned with my other builds that you have to do the parts you don't really want first or when you finally get to them you loss all passion and the build stops. I still have a boot to do on my Halo suit which I really can not be bothered with. For this build it's been the arms that I just couldn't be bothered with and next the hands.

Hopefully I will have an update in the next few days as I have arms done they just need the hinges installed now.

Tom.

thanks for posting Drak. in your video, what size blade scalpels do you use? I can purchase them on Amazon in boxes of 100, but want to know what your preference were.

Do you have any files or can you tell us about that peice by the neck you made. The one that goes between the chest and back?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back