Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Yeah in retrospect I wish I had gone that way. The second I took the plung and peeled some off I took a big sigh of relief that it's fixable.
I suppose if the worst came to the worst I would have had to mould it with the bubbles there and then spend time sanding them all off the cast but that wouldn't lie very well with my perfectionism. It would have driven me twitchy if I knew I had an imperfect mould till I remould the cleaned up cast.

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Small update.

Got my arc reactor done today. I based it on the Avengers movie when he is fighting Thor. There are a few frames where you get to see something other than just frosted glass lit up. I will be adding more LEDs in there too cause I want to whiten it up a bit more.

23095CA9-5EEB-4CBB-B18D-B47B50954301-393-000000184AC4CC2C.jpg

Last edited:

Looks great. I am contemplating starting my first foam build.

looks great!!! im actually deciding to start working with foam now

drack, how did you get the snap fasteners to stick to the plastic? no matter how much hot glue i use it just peels off..

Great job on the entire build. The arc reactor is really impressive too.

Looks great. I am contemplating starting my first foam build.

looks great!!! im actually deciding to start working with foam now

Thank you guys. Do it try foam out. I know it doesn't have that perfect finish of glassed armour but you have to have time to achieve top results with bondoed armour. At least with foam it's cheap to try.

drack, how did you get the snap fasteners to stick to the plastic? no matter how much hot glue i use it just peels off..

I am not sure what to say here. I just glued them on. Maybe it's the glue I use or the plastic but so far I have used different glue suppliers and different plastics and not had problems yet. Wish I could help you out on this more.

Great job on the entire build. The arc reactor is really impressive too.

Thank you man :)

What did you do for that metal outline of the triangle?

It was 3mm expanded PVC . I sprayed it with silver car paint and it kinda separated for some strange reason but gave a really nice effect so stuck with it.

Thank you for checking out my work and keep on building guys,
Tom.

So I finally have an update for you. Its taken so long cause as you know I have been making the helmet, reactor and the waist/abs all at the same time. Well I made a booboo and scaled the cod and abs wrong so had to remake them. I am kinda glad cause I did a much better job on the new ones so here it is starting to come together.

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

Question, does the plasti dip cover the minor imperfections or does it just soak right in?

I will feel like I am showing off with the honest answer but it's the only one I got. I don't have any imperfections on my builds now. Got my technique down perfect :) Although when heat gunning you do get little air bubbles near the surface that can pop. Happens very rarely but the plastidip does fill them if they're not too big.
The plastidip is used primarily to seal the foam so what ever paint you use for the main scheme doesn't soak in as 90% of them will. Also the plastidip is self leveling so gives that nice smooth base for the main paint.

Tom.

Last edited:

I love that MK VI reactor you did. Any chance you could do up a tutorial or some instructions for it?? I would like to use it for my MK VI im building for Halloween this year!

Sure man :)

So I built the box with the opal transparent Perspex for the front defuser.

IMG_1440.jpg

Then bought some tinted self adhesive vinyl, blue for the arc and frosted (grey) for the outer edges. Then cut them to shape and stuck them on the inside of the Perspex. Where you see the bright new element triangle I used my dremel to sand away the Perspex from the inside to make it thinner so more light gets through. I got so close that when the lights are off and you look close enough the heat from the dremel bit had slightly warped the Perspex on the front so that's how thin I got it. Then made a triangle of PVC that I drilled holes in for the LEDs to fit into. You have to have this part about 25-30mm away from the Perspex or you start to see bright spots and you want the light to be evenly dispersed. I used 16 LEDs but will be adding more to get it a little bit more brighter and to increase the white light produced as the blue is too blue imo.

Hope this helps and to help a bit more will take a pic of the inside of the reactor tomorrow for you (it's late here now so pics won't be good)

Tom.

It looks soooooooo good, Tom! Absolutely beautiful. Painting the helmet soon?

That's just the master. I am moulding the helmet in urethane plastic (smooth-cast 65D) I couldn't put my head in that if I tried as its full of expanding foam :D
Hopefully will have enough money next week to get the last of the silicon I need than its show time :)

Sure man

So I built the box with the opal transparent Perspex for the front defuser.

IMG_1440.jpg

Then bought some tinted self adhesive vinyl, blue for the arc and frosted (grey) for the outer edges. Then cut them to shape and stuck them on the inside of the Perspex. Where you see the bright new element triangle I used my dremel to sand away the Perspex from the inside to make it thinner so more light gets through. I got so close that when the lights are off and you look close enough the heat from the dremel bit had slightly warped the Perspex on the front so that's how thin I got it. Then made a triangle of PVC that I drilled holes in for the LEDs to fit into. You have to have this part about 25-30mm away from the Perspex or you start to see bright spots and you want the light to be evenly dispersed. I used 16 LEDs but will be adding more to get it a little bit more brighter and to increase the white light produced as the blue is too blue imo.

Hope this helps and to help a bit more will take a pic of the inside of the reactor tomorrow for you (it's late here now so pics won't be good)

Tom.

ok great info here. So the original triangular box looks like regular pep with maybe some reinforcement/popsicle sticks right? As for sanding away the perspex would adding the additional LED's your planning to add intensify the light enough to not have to sand the perspex maybe? I've never used perspex or plexi before since this is my first build so I will have to see what I have available in my area for this. Hopefully a hobby shop or home improvement store should have these. And the more pics the merrier!! thanks Tom!

Ant

The box is made from 3mm expanded PVC foam board and 1mm plastic card. As for adding more lights to whiten up the over all effect this will not create the triangle. Ok I could have made a triangle of LEDs to create a brighter effect for the triangular element but you wouldn't get the crisp edges to it if that makes sense. Sanding it away was just the best way to get a the best resault.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back