Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Well you'll be glad to hear updates will be up later. Dinner at the inlaws then when I get back I will get the pics of my helmet up. It's taken longer than I though but wanted to make sure it was perfect so I have less to do once it's cast. There are a few parts I can tell will need some sanding or filler but seeing as the master is made from foam I am not that bothered. It would have taken alot longer than 4 days to sculpt or make a glassed helmet. I say 4 days but if I had not been in work I could have done it in 2-3. Next is the boring PVA stage. After researching Xrobots helmet to cast I will be doing my PVA stage a bit different. He painted straight out of the bottle but I am going to water mine down a little to make sure there are no streaks at all. This will also help the PVA to soak in a bit more filling the micro bubbles the Plastizote inherently has.

Till later,
Tom.

Last edited:
Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Update time.

So I have finished my helmet and its ready for its PVA coats. The pic of the helmet sadly doesn't do it justice but once I have it ready for casting it should look a lot better. I made the ears separate out of expanded PVC foam board because I know how much of a pain it will be to try to sand them smooth if cast with the helmet. Also I have been working on getting my Arc Reactor box ready for all the bits I have ready to put into it but you will have to wait to see what I have instal for that. I have some friends that have a sign shop and had some opal transparent perspex laying around that I could use as a light defuser. I love how you cant see through that stuff but ones the lights turn on :)

Well here it all is.

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

The helmet looks great, Tom. What thickness of foam did you use?

I used 6mm plastizote for the helmet but that was because I hadn't planned on casting it and wanted more room in the helmet for the servos. It is so nice to work with I thought what the heck and ordered the silicon and smooth-on 65D rotocast. I would use 10mm for strength as the 6mm is a bit flimsy.

I will be reinforcing it before I cast as I am sure the silicon will weigh it down and warp it slightly. Not sure whether to just use some 10mm EVA foam side and top supports or just fill it with expanding foam. In fact just by writing this it has made opt for expanding foam so I know it will not lose shape.

Tom.

Well guys spent all day getting the PVA coats on and the helmet is all primed ready for some clear coat before moulding. Not too happy with the top vent though. I will work something out. It didn't seem so prominent before I sprayed it. Ah well I am sure I will figure a way to lower it down a bit.

IMG_1441.jpg

Last edited:

Casting on hold as didn't buy enough silicon and my wife just spent all my money : p
Will be getting on with the rest till then. Thank fully one of the things she needed was some clear Perspex so I told her to buy more than she needed. That's the last of the reactor bits I needed :)

Drack,

Do i need to use pva before the coat of plasti dip? Or can i just plasti dip it straight on the foam?

Drack,

Do i need to use pva before the coat of plasti dip? Or can i just plasti dip it straight on the foam?

(If you dont mind me answering this Drack) I just heat seal it, then plasti dip right after. It saves money and still has the same effect as dracks.

Exactly what IronWarrior said. I only used PVA for the Plastizote due to the millions of micro bubbles it has. If you put plastidip straight on the Pzote it doesn't quite seal the tiny holes up which means lots of coats of Pdip which will lead to expense. The PVA is a cost effective way of sealing up the Pzote, EVA doesn't have this problem so Pdip is enough.

Normaly I just plastidip, prime, paint/spray and then laquar.

Tom.

Last edited:

That helmet is fabulous. What a great job!

Great work man. I cant wait to see how it comes along.

Well guys spent all day getting the PVA coats on and the helmet is all primed ready for some clear coat before moulding. Not too happy with the top vent though. I will work something out. It didn't seem so prominent before I sprayed it. Ah well I am sure I will figure a way to lower it down a bit.

IMG_1441.jpg

Xcellent work on the helm. Going to be redoing mine in 10mm foam as well here within the next week.

Xcellent work on the helm. Going to be redoing mine in 10mm foam as well here within the next week.

Agreed, the helm looks awesome.

Thank you guys. I must say I am getting impatient now. I really want cast it but need more silicon. Typical the week I need more I am off work with a slipped disc so no moneys :(

That looks like an extremely sharp foam build, good to see high standards.

Nice work I just destroyed my helmet last night I think it will only be good for a battle damaged suit now .it was a nice day so I Went for a ride on my Harley, put the bike away and the helmet must have touched the exhaust pipe, melted the hole side right down to the base foam. Ahhhhhhhh

http://www.therpf.com/f24/first-build-mark-vi-my-5-year-161023/

That looks like an extremely sharp foam build, good to see high standards.

Thank you man that means a lot coming from you as your build is what I dream of being able to afford to do :p

Nice work I just destroyed my helmet last night I think it will only be good for a battle damaged suit now .it was a nice day so I Went for a ride on my Harley, put the bike away and the helmet must have touched the exhaust pipe, melted the hole side right down to the base foam. Ahhhhhhhh

What the?!!! I would cry if I did that. It's not like helmets are the easiest things to make.

Warning!

If any one is thinking of casting a foam helmet made of thin foam and they do the same as me and fill it with expanding foam for extra strength for casting, DON'T!
The gasses try to escape through the foam and turns an Ironman helmet into an Acne man helmet. The gasses force the paint to bubble because the foam is not porus. On a good note though, because the foam didn't alow the PVA to soak in I could just peel the paint off. I am going to leave it till the paint stops bubbling then will peel it all off and recoat it.

Tom.

Warning!

If any one is thinking of casting a foam helmet made of thin foam and they do the same as me and fill it with expanding foam for extra strength for casting, DON'T!
The gasses try to escape through the foam and turns an Ironman helmet into an Acne man helmet. The gasses force the paint to bubble because the foam is not porus. On a good note though, because the foam didn't alow the PVA to soak in I could just peel the paint off. I am going to leave it till the paint stops bubbling then will peel it all off and recoat it.

Tom.

That sounds terrible - cardboard formers hot glued to the inside are probably the best bet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back