Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build

Hey man, I'm wondering--how do you make the hands? I'm working with 10mm EVA foam mats I picked up at Lowe's (oh, being a Yank), and I'm trying to make a couple of gloves to accent Tony Stark costumes (for myself and a couple of friends). Thing is, I got a foam pattern and cut out all the pieces, but **** if that's not thick. I'm worried I did something wrong here and now have three and a half squares left that aren't going to be of any use for this project...

Hey man, I'm wondering--how do you make the hands? I'm working with 10mm EVA foam mats I picked up at Lowe's (oh, being a Yank), and I'm trying to make a couple of gloves to accent Tony Stark costumes (for myself and a couple of friends). Thing is, I got a foam pattern and cut out all the pieces, but **** if that's not thick. I'm worried I did something wrong here and now have three and a half squares left that aren't going to be of any use for this project...

the difficulty you may be having is that you're working with 3/4" thick foam. That would be difficult for any project where you need to have delicate details or a small area to bend.

the recommended thickness is between 4mm - 6mm (1/8th - 1/4") thick foam. for the hands you could even use doubled up foamies and you'd have more success.

I would never recommend 10mm foam for any project unless you are building a rigid structure that needs the thickness (example, building a lightweight box structure).

Unfortunately for now, those 10mm foam tiles are good for just floor mats or another project in the future. I suggest hitting a craft store (like hobby lobby, Joanns or Michaels) and hit up their 9x12" foam sheets. they are usually around 89-99 cents a sheet. And you can build one hand from one sheet easily.

I agree with Deelite, for the gloves the 10mm is far too thick. I don't agree about them being usefully for only floor mats as my whole suit is made from 10mm foam, excluding the hands.
I would only use foams under 3mm thick and the fingers even thinner. The only problem I see with using foam is that they could get damaged easy because personally I want to be able to use my hands without worry. Thats why my gloves are to be solid.

Edit: I have just started making them so wish me luck. I will be posting a step by step on this part of the build incase any one else wants to use the same technique, assuming I pull it off of course :)

Edit: My plan didn't um........go according to plan. Ah well I had a back up but it involves foam :(

Last edited:
Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

Update on post no.1 for those starting out or want additional knowledge on foam armour building. I will update it if I find or film anything else that I feel is of use.

Tom.

Last edited:
Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build (page1 includes info on foam armour building)

First off, fantastic build fella. Watched your video guides and found them really useful; thanks a lot mate. :thumbsup And UK material links are a god send! Hope that plan B on the gloves is a success. :)

man you should sooooooooooo mold and caast it !

you got some good skills buddy very impressive!
i am just starting but will be paying attention lol

First off, fantastic build fella. Watched your video guides and found them really useful; thanks a lot mate. :thumbsup And UK material links are a god send! Hope that plan B on the gloves is a success. :)

Thank you man and glad they are usefull. I will try to get some more done but its all down to having time really.

man you should sooooooooooo mold and caast it !

I am. My silicon and smooth-cast just turned up yesterday :)

you got some good skills buddy very impressive!
i am just starting but will be paying attention lol

Thank you very much. Hopefully I can bring you some BIG updates soon as working on the reactor, hands and helmet/cast all at the same time. I must admit the helmet and reactor have taken main position as they are much more fun than the gloves. Once the fingers are all done I know I will get into the repulsors stage. I am going to have some kind of switch in the wrist pads to turn them on while my hand is pulled back.

AWESOMENESSSSSSS if you would be selling it count me in !

also would you make a moulding tutorial :) please i am planning to mold and cast a suit but i have no eperience :/

AWESOMENESSSSSSS if you would be selling it count me in !

also would you make a moulding tutorial :) please i am planning to mold and cast a suit but i have no eperience :/

Thhaaannkk yyyooouu! Well I must admit I won't be casting the whole suit, just the helmet. It would cost to much to do the whole thing and I highly doubt there are many in th UK that would buy a whole suit.

As for a moulding tutorial I don't really need to make one for 2 reasons. 1. This is my first time so not an authority on exactly how it's done yet. 2. There are loads of moulding tutorials out there so it wouldn't add anything new to the table. Edit: just put a moulding link on the first page.

Cheers for checking my build and commenting though and if I do do anything that I think no one has covered/thought of I will always post up pics or if I can, make a vid.

Tom.

Last edited:

Hey Drack, quick question about the lacquer spray. I was gona get the Halfords' one but was told that it's too runny, and not very good. Which one do you use? :confused Tar.

I use Hycote spray for my primer, colour and lacquer. Not sure if you know of a store called Trago Mills. They are basically a store that have buyers that go to auctions and buy stuff cheap so we don't have to pay out loads. They also as far I can tell have some permanent suppliers too so thankfully my spray supplies are not going to dry up.
I got mine at £2.49 for the primer and laqcuer and £2.99 for the colour sprays. Which is very cheap but if you try to get around that your good.

Hope that helps,
Tom.

Trago Mills is West Country area only unfortunately, but gound a local Wilco that does Hycote sprays, so will give em a try. Cheers dude.

No worries glad to be of help. I knew Trago isn't up your way I just went on a mini rant, sorry bout that :p

The MK 6 is my favorite suit and yours is "Absolutely Beautiful!" You're off to a great start!....can't wait to see more.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back