Dracks Ironman MK VI Build (helmet update)

Re: Dracks Ironman MK VI Foam Build

IM trying to figure out the design for the neck seal but the pep Files i have arent anything like your seal, which im trying to do.

IM trying to figure out the design for the neck seal but the pep Files i have arent anything like your seal, which im trying to do.

It's a combination of the neck seal in the foam files here iron man - neck - created by robo3867 - foam edit -stealth - a4 version.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download and the collar file from here I think ironman_files.rar - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Great job on the collar. Might have to try the snaps approach as well on portions of my build.

Great job on the collar. Might have to try the snaps approach as well on portions of my build.

Thank you mate. I haven't done a full test of exactly how well they hold but once the arms are hinged up I will make sure that they stay popped with a full maneuverabilit test. There might be slight problems when I lift my arms up but in reality I can't see me doing that a great deal. I do how ever want to make sure they hold because there would be nothing worse that being at a con and having to ask a passer by, let's say Scarlett Johansson or Gwyneth Paltrow, to help me get back into my clothes :p

What did you use to cut the foam with? it looks pretty thick

An exacto knife is all I used. I know I could go for camping mat foam as its thinner but it just doesn't have the strength the floor mats have.

If my wife permits it, she has a stinking cold so not likely, I will have an update later today as the arms are all ready for hingeing :)

Wait did you have a build on 405th for the mark 5 you started from scratch? Your cutting is awesome and you make it look so easy. Your work is amazing

Update time :)

I got the arms finished (minus the wrist, inner and outer elbow coverings) they are all hinged up too.

IMG_1394_zps48b5ca81.jpg

IMG_1393_zps84e011ec.jpg

Popped my MK V helmet on to see what it looks like.

IMG_1395_zps6398594f.jpg

I will be making the MK VI helmet slightly bigger as the MK V was made to hug my head and I will need a bit more room for the servos. I will be making the new helmet out of 6mm plastizote and making a mold of it for casting, my Xmas present to my self as it will cost more than a simple foam helmet.

Hope you like,
Tom.

Last edited:

Hey, quick question for you: Is the current helmet foam and what size of foam did you use. Very nice job btw.

Hey, quick question for you: Is the current helmet foam and what size of foam did you use. Very nice job btw.

Thank you man. Yes it is foam and it's 10mm EVA. The 10mm does make it nice and strong but doesn't leave much room in there. The only reason I made it such a tight fit is that the MK V build is a very fitted suit and didnt want a giant head. Where as this suit allows for a bit more room so can size it up and have some breathing space with the thinner foam. Hopefully when I do my cast it should give me alot more room in there for all the tech I need.

So my PLASTIZOTE just arrived for my helmet. I have seen a few people ask James AKA Xrobots whether he knows the difference between plastizote and EVA and if I remember correctly he hasn't used EVA before. Well I can safely say you know exactly where your extra money has gone with plastizote. It's absolutely beautiful stuff. Your blade cuts through it like butter. I haven't done a heat test on it yet as one of my techniques involves using the nib of my glue gun to smooth the excess glue down so if the wife will let me I am going to run a series of tests today to see how it responds to the way I have been treating the EVA foam.

Anyway before I start my helmet I have to make my gloves (promised myself I would get them out the way as I don't fancy it). I will be making the basic glove and fingers from 1.5mm plasticard and 3mm expanded PVC foam then using milliput to sculpt them to the HD look. I contemplated foam gloves but I see them getting damaged easily so opted for solid glove and finger coverings.

Will post up some pics when I have one of the fingers done with a step by step guide.

Keep on building,
Tom.

I know ya heard it before such incredible clean work brah keep up th' good work look forward ta more.

Laugh it up fur ball!!! Sent From My SGH T-989 Using Tapatalk 2.

Update time :)

I got the arms finished (minus the wrist, inner and outer elbow coverings) they are all hinged up too.

IMG_1394_zps48b5ca81.jpg

IMG_1393_zps84e011ec.jpg

Popped my MK V helmet on to see what it looks like.

Hope you like,
Tom.

IMG_1395_zps6398594f.jpg

I will be making the MK VI helmet slightly bigger as the MK V was made to hug my head and I will need a bit more room for the servos. I will be making the new helmet out of 6mm plastizote and making a mold of it for casting, my Xmas present to my self as it will cost more than a simple foam helmet.

You are my favorite foam suit iron man maker I've seen

You are my favorite foam suit iron man maker I've seen

Wow thank you man. That means alot to me as there are alot of them out there. I really can not wait to start on the helmet now because today I have been doing some tests on the Plastizote and that stuff is SICK. There is only one down side to it and that is the multiple coats of PVA needed before you even start on the plastidip, primer, base coat, shading, battle damage and finally lacquer. That aside it is the best foam I have come across so far and I have bought from lots of different sources. All the EVA foams I have worked with so far are great and varied but the Plastizote is way above them all for ease of use and the highest of quality results. I wish I could start my helmet now because I am itching to see the results but I have to get the thing I dread the most out of the way first, the hands. I know once I start them I will become obsessed with getting them perfect as they will take me back to my 40k modelling days but it's going to be slow work.

Thank you for watching and your kind comments,
Tom.

my I ask how tall you are and what scale number did you use for your suit?

I've never done a mark 6 suit and I wana try and do it like you've done but I'm not sure how to scale this one.

I'm 6'3"

my I ask how tall you are and what scale number did you use for your suit?

I've never done a mark 6 suit and I wana try and do it like you've done but I'm not sure how to scale this one.

I'm 6'3"

I am the same hight as you and every piece is a different scale dependant on my proportions. I would list them all off but we are all built differently so it wouldn't really work. Here is the best and most simple scaling guide I have come across to help you out. Tutorial: Simple Armor Scaling

:cry It's beautiful!!! Drack you never cease to amaze me.

Thank you man :)

Your suit is looking amazing, looks really professional. Definitely subscribing to this thread. Really love the way the back looks!
I don't think it's been asked yet.... what files are you using for your templates?

Your suit is looking amazing, looks really professional. Definitely subscribing to this thread. Really love the way the back looks!
I don't think it's been asked yet.... what files are you using for your templates?

Thank you very much man. The files I have been using are all here except the colar pieces I added to the neck brace and the hands. I am using the pep HD warmachine/Ironman hand/finger files that I have custom unfolded for making them from plasticard, expanded PVC foam and milliput. The HD files are better than the standard not only because of the detail but the fingers are all separate files so you can scale them indervidualy.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-128147/

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back