Metal Gear Rising - Raiden, WIP

GrieverXVII

Hey guys, So this is the second cosplay outfit i'm creating ever, my first was an RPD outfit from the resident evil series. I thought for my second go at cosplay creation i would try something a bit more challenging with a lot of new things to learn and try out. So i decided to go with Raiden from the Metal Gear Rising game. My budget isn't extremely high but also not low. I'm finding it easy and fun creating most of the armor pieces out of EVA foam and craft foam, I only have pics of the head gear constructed currently, but i do have the chest armor finished, i need to take pics though and update.

here's reference:
metal-gear-rising-revengeance.jpg

tumblr_m8sl44Pa5m1r6hu3go2_1280.jpg

Here's the head gear constructed:
20120911_012822.jpg

20120911_012807.jpg

I will continue to update this thread with new pictures of my progress and such.

Wow, this is great! Can't wait to see more! How did you go about making the lower jaw/chin cover?

Thank you!
I made the jaw out of a pre-made skeleton halloween mask, I just dremeled the jaw piece out, sanded it down and removed most of the chrome, drilled holes, re-sprayed it stainless steel, painted white and blacks with acrylic paints by hand, then finished with a gloss coat. attaches by elastic strings :)
20120911_133128.jpg

and here's the other WIP of the armors i said i would post:
20120911_132840.jpg

20120911_132854.jpg

20120911_132739.jpg

20120911_133027.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa!! Man, I was really skeptical when I saw the post for this....but boy was I blown away. I can't wait to see how/if you tackle the artificial muscle. It looks really sinewy and like a fun task to think about :p

wow! thanks everyone for the very uplifting comments, it means a lot to me!

current update 9/15/12:
I'm working on this project mostly on the weekends due to my full-time job so it's coming along but a little slowly, i like planning things i'm going to do on the costume in my head all day at work though XD lol. And for this to be my second costume creation ever, it is still a very new learning experience for me and i'm so grateful to have members (above) that are so uplifting to others and very talented themselves with loads of great advices and help...it keeps my determination to get better really high!

What I really like about making costumes though is the fact that you can emulate another popular character, but because the creation is in your hands...I love having the ability to modify a look to make it more personal or unique to your standards. I made that decision when doing my RPD outfit, for the most part i followed how the outfit looks and is constructed, but i put my own touch on certain things like metal studs being hexagonal instead of circular or a black tactical knife instead of a brown leather hunting knife, small things like that. So also decided to sculpt out the abdominals for this Raiden costume as i just feel it'll have a better look and feel, in the reference it looks like his Abs are toned and defined under some fabric/material, but i just feel to get that same look of authenticity or detailing i had to sculpt them out, pictures below.

@superz: yes i've been thinking a lot about this too...i still have time to think of a simple yet effective way to get the desired look...and all i can currently think of is modifying "tensor bandage" to replicate the look of his artifical muscles on his legs and stuff.

20120915_160523.jpg

20120915_222536.jpg

20120915_222544.jpg

again, thank you so much for the kind words everyone! any advice/feedback/criticism is always welcome!

Nice! Always cool to see another Metal Gear fan. I made an MGR Raiden last Spring as well. You can check out my dA at effektdmentality on deviantART for photos of it. I wore it most recently at Pacific Media Expo in LA last weekend.

544b96daf28b23ec8e0d1f0b99e9f493-d5kuu6p.jpg

Your chin idea is awesome (I had shaped some wonderflex over a mannequin head). I also like your ideas for the sculpted muscle. Can't wait to see it finished!

*jumps on Raiden bandwagon* this is my Raiden from earlier in the year

8674_426150950816505_182951462_n.jpg 312215_425650010866599_1622900375_n.jpg 574686_426608304104103_1840084870_n.jpg

i used Sintra for the jaw peice with some epoxie sculpt to help with the chin part. the 'armour' at the top is from craft foam, which was super cheap and easy to make :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back