Warhammer 40K Space Marine - Budget Build

DD28

A little while ago I decided to make myself a warhammer 40K Space Marine costume. Being inspired by Crypto's Pepakura SM build I set to work.

I started with a helmet, which turned out to be too small :facepalm, then had a go at a Shoulder, which turned out ok.

I realised that I would have a problem, there would be no way I could afford to Fibreglass the suit, so I put it to one side and worked on the the Bolt Pistol and Chain Sword

Then the other night my cat decided that the shoulder I had pep'd would make a comfortable bed.
Shoulder-01.jpg

So basically I would have to start from scratch. Using the pep plans as a guide I thought I'd have a go at building a shoulder from Cardboard.

Using pepakura I measured all the dimension using the "Measure Distance" function.

I freehanded the curves for the back and base, then built up the rim.
Shoulder-02.jpg

I drew out curved "levels" (again freehand) and gued them top the central support.
Shoulder-04.jpg

Then came skinning the dome, cutting wedges of cardboard I worked my way around the dome.
Shoulder-06.jpg

Shoulder-07.jpg

Shoulder-08.jpg

Shoulder-09.jpg

Next I cut out the back.
Shoulder-11.jpg

Then I resorted to the poor mans Fiberglass - paper mache.
Shoulder-12.jpg

I'm quite pleased at how it turned out, now to start on the other shoulder.

Until next time....

Peter

Finished the left shoulder....

I have decided to make a Deathwatch Marine (just to make life harder) so I incorporated the chapter logo.
Shoulder-13.jpg

Shoulder-14.jpg

Then using foamies did the lettering, I have sealed the foam with PVA ready for painting.
Shoulder-15.jpg

Now I have to decide what to do next.

Until next time...

Peter

Awesome! Why is it that cats always seem to choose the most important things to sit on? When im working with paper or card, ive taken to putting down an extra sheet nearby just for the cat to sit on :D

For a budget build I think this is going to look really good. It's all very well looking through these threads seeing the perfect finish builds that cost but tbh when it's done and you turn up at a party wearing it I highly doubt any one would have the right to criticise due to the fact that you will be the most awesome looking person there :)

Subscribed as I was a big 40k head back in the day and wanna see you suited up :) In fact I was building a fully customised Nurgle army for Whitedwarf years ago, needless to say it never got finished due to a major change in my life plan but never mind I now make stuff I can wear instead :D

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

This installment.....Building the Backpack.

Again using the pepakura files as a guide, I cut out the front and back panels as one piece from a very large box.

Then I chopped around the pep file to make a template for the sides

Backpack-01.jpg

Backpack-02.jpg

Then again I made a template for the top panel detail piece

Backpack-04.jpg

Backpack-05.jpg

Backpack-06.jpg

However, being an idiot, I forgot to take into account the thickness of the finished piece, so once i'd raised it 20mm and curved it over the top, it no longer fit, so I hand to slice it and insert an extension :facepalm

The front detail panel (or would it be the back?) was simply 2-ply of cardboard, with a wedge at the bottom where it sloes away.

Backpack-07.jpg

Backpack-08.jpg

Next....Balls

This installment.....Balls :behave

As you may know (or maybe not) the Space Marine backpack has two spherical jets, one either side.

Now I can do most things with cardboard, but making 2 20cm (8") Balls is pushing it.

So after wracking my brain for a while I came up with the idea of a football pattern (soccer for you Americans :rolleyes), also known as a truncated icosahedron.

After a very long and unsuccessful google search to try to calculate the hexagon and pentagon sizes for a 20cm Dia shape, I eventually tried looking for a pepakura file for the shape...and got a hit instantly.

So I resized the file, printed out a template and started building.

Backpack-09.jpg

Backpack-11.jpg

Backpack-13.jpg

I'm actually quite pleased with how they turned out, and how they look on the backpack.

Backpack-14.jpg

Backpack-15.jpg

To finish off the Ball Jets I added a housing simply glued to one of the facets

Backpack-18.jpg

To make the lower side jets/vents, I basically made to boxes and cut them in half at a 45 degree angle, then I added a frame to each end using foam core.

Backpack-16.jpg

Backpack-17.jpg

To finish of I covered everything in paper mache, then added details with card, McDonald Coffee sticks and Cola Lids.

Backpack-19.jpg

Until next time...

Peter

In this installement......The Helmet

I thought it was about time I tackled the Helmet, because if that didn't work i'm not sure where I would go next.

Starting from the bottom I cut out the outline of the helmet and built up the back and side panels

Helmet-1.jpg

Helmet-2.jpg

Then added the nose grill and top ridge

Helmet-3.jpg

Helmet-4.jpg

Using Pepakura I made a template for the domed top.

Helmet-5.jpg

Helmet-7.jpg

I built up the cheek plates and under the eyes, and fitted the top dome.

Helmet-8.jpg

The dome had to be modified to fit

Helmet-9.jpg

Again using pepakura to make templates I put together the pipework

Helmet-10.jpg

Attached to pipework, closed the gap between the nose and forehead (it was looking a bit stretched), and added the chapter logo.

Helmet-11.jpg

Helmet-12.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of me wearing it, once finished I'll be fitting as pair of old sunglasses lenses.

Helmet-13.jpg

Helmet-14.jpg

Just have to paper mache it, then onto the next part.

Until next time...

Peter

this is great, awesome even. i respect the hell out of the use of cardboard, reminds me off all the costumes my mom made for me growing up. i think all your proportions look good and cant wait to see more.

This is pretty epic I hope your still working on this. I want to build a scout set of armor myself, but I dont have the money for it... atleast with the materials I had planned... Your cardboard method seems great for poor people like myself :D

My scout theme is based off my DeathWatch RolePlay character who uses scout armor all the time... Which I think is funny a little here cause your basing your Marine armor off DeathWatch. Which prolly got me hooked as soon as I noticed what you were doing there :D

This is pretty epic I hope your still working on this. I want to build a scout set of armor myself, but I dont have the money for it... atleast with the materials I had planned... Your cardboard method seems great for poor people like myself :D

My scout theme is based off my DeathWatch RolePlay character who uses scout armor all the time... Which I think is funny a little here cause your basing your Marine armor off DeathWatch. Which prolly got me hooked as soon as I noticed what you were doing there :D

I am still working on it, I have just finished the chest piece, it has taken longer than I expected, I'll be posting an update tomorrow.

I could have used other materials but at the time I started the build, cardboard was all I had, now I set myself the challenge of completing the build as cheaply as possible.

I started with the Shoulders to see if I could pull off curves with cardboard. Once I got to the chest, I pretty much understand how to handle the material, it just takes a little planning as you have to work with the "grain" of the card.

What I would suggest is just get started, have a go with cardboard, if at a later date you can change materials great, but don't let money hold you back.

To pinch a quote "Just do it"

Until next time....

Peter

In this installment...Chest Plate

I don't have many WIP pictures, but here is what I do have

I couldn't use the method I employed for the shoulder pads (internal supports), so starting with the neck ring, I built up the collar, then worked around building up the panels.
Chest-1.jpg

Chest-2.jpg

Chest-3.jpg

Once the main panels were on I built up the rim around the bottom edge.
I created the front grill using a Duct tape roll inside and wooden McD Coffee stirrers. (I got a bit carried away and didn't take WIP photos)

Chest-4.jpg

Chest-6.jpg

Chest-12.jpg

Until next time...

Peter

This is absolutely fantastic.

Just goes to show you can make a bad ass costume using cheap (if not free) materials.

Subbed.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back