Superhero Movies Takeover Thread

TheOtherGuy

So, just wanted to make this thread because I'm new and wanted to hear everyone's opinions on what they think of all the movies nowadays usually being about superheroes! And how these movies are good/bad or just talk about the actors themselves!

Personally not my thing but I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a trend and it will move on to the next soon enough.

They've clearly found a market and they'll milk it until it dries.

Ya. But that was a rant, I'm not a fan of rants. ;)

Cue rant here in 3... 2...

:popcorn
images

I'm all for it. I haven't been this passionate about movies since the original Star Wars, and what Marvel is doing with their cinematic universe is downright amazing. I also believe the genre has evolved to the point where studios know what the upside is to making QUALITY CBMs, so there's more pressure to produce a good product rather than spit out trash that resembles a superhero film.

CBMs have become the new action flicks these days, and since Hollywood has basically run dry on their creative juices and their business models rely on proven franchises with blockbuster potential, I see Hollywood tapping into comic book materials for a long time.

I have no problem with them if they're done right. If studios release quality films like X-Men: First Class, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, and everything Marvel Studios is pumping out, then I say bring it. However, for every gem, there's something like Ghost Rider and Green Lantern, so it's a double-edged sword.

Quality, not quantity, please...

I's even go as far as saying that all the movies being released these days to be about superheroes is a bit of an exaggeration. Would be interesting to see what percent of movies released this year were super hero movies.

I's even go as far as saying that all the movies being released these days to be about superheroes is a bit of an exaggeration. Would be interesting to see what percent of movies released this year were super hero movies.

It'd be better to compare decades rather than years. Hollywood has been on a CBM craze pretty much since the first Raimi Spiderman so I don't expect to see a huge jump in CBM % of total films this year versus the prior few years, if there's a jump at all. I was too young for the Reeves Superman era but starting with the Keaton Batman and onward, I remember we'd be lucky to even get one CBM a summer.

The exaggeration is likely because of the gigantic success of two CBMs this year. But without a doubt that I've seen a lot more CBMs get released now than I did in the 90s.

I've been waiting my whole life for super hero movies to start hitting the big screen more frequent. So I'm pretty much in heaven right now!

Back as a child I had Incredible Hulk that featured a crappy Daredevil and Thor, a bootleg Spider-Man, and don't get me started on Captain America. The only saving grace was the Batman series oh and the Flash tv show.

I've been waiting my whole life for super hero movies to start hitting the big screen more frequent. So I'm pretty much in heaven right now!

Back as a child I had Incredible Hulk that featured a crappy Daredevil and Thor, a bootleg Spider-Man, and don't get me started on Captain America. The only saving grace was the Batman series oh and the Flash tv show.

I vaguely remember that Flash show! I like the Freddy Keuger show better!:popcorn

I don't mind any type of movie really, as long as it's done well. I am a fan of GI Joe but thought the movie was terrible. I am fan of Iron Man and thought the movie was incredible. I have no issues with people doing any kind of movie, whether it's remakes, sequels, or anything else, as long as the respect the material and do a good job at it.

I would venture to say this is the age of spectacle, rather than superhero. Look at the Avatars, Harry Potters, Pirates of the world and you'll see what I mean. Compound that with the 3D movement and it's all about the grand scale visuals.

The Immortals, Wrath of the Titans, Resident Evils come to mind.

I would venture to say this is the age of spectacle, rather than superhero. Look at the Avatars, Harry Potters, Pirates of the world and you'll see what I mean. Compound that with the 3D movement and it's all about the grand scale visuals.

The Immortals, Wrath of the Titans, Resident Evils come to mind.

I miss quality content that isn't overshadowed by visuals all the time...

I miss quality content that isn't overshadowed by visuals all the time...

I don't know if a movie can truly succeed without something visually catching these days. Can anyone name a highly successful (recent) film that didn't have a "mind blowing" car wreck/scene or some fancy explosion?

Even Slumdog had some visual spectacle in a handful of scenes

I don't know if a movie can truly succeed without something visually catching these days. Can anyone name a highly successful (recent) film that didn't have a "mind blowing" car wreck/scene or some fancy explosion?

Even Slumdog had some visual spectacle in a handful of scenes

The King's Speech.

BRILLIANT film.

There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Apocalypto...

Just not what the masses want. No marketability for the kids. Can't persuade parents to bring their kids to a movie like these.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back